MATCH: Friendly vs Bamber Bridge 09.07

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Now the take over is happening- I don’t think we’ll struggle as much as we would had done with Mo and Barry around.

But there’s still nothing about that squad that says we’ll challenge IMO.

Got mid table written all over it. 

Well if that's the case it'll be much better than what I was fearing a week or so ago.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Now the take over is happening- I don’t think we’ll struggle as much as we would had done with Mo and Barry around.

But there’s still nothing about that squad that says we’ll challenge IMO.

Got mid table written all over it. 

You can tell all that from 75 minutes of the first pre-season friendly, with half a new squad on a warm, sunny day where no player is going to be at full fitness and the team nowhere near gelled together? I'm impressed.

I know you said "IMO" but then you slapped that statement on the end.

29 minutes ago, Wardie said:

You can tell all that from 75 minutes of the first pre-season friendly, with half a new squad on a warm, sunny day where no player is going to be at full fitness and the team nowhere near gelled together? I'm impressed.

I know you said "IMO" but then you slapped that statement on the end.

I don’t what know your impressed about, I didn’t mention the game or heat or gelling- you’ve just made a whole paragraph up. 

I talked about the squad, which yes has had some additions  but is still largely made up of players who got relegated. 

Apologies if I my last line was confusing- it’s my opinion we’ll finish mid table. Which is better than it was a few weeks ago, but in my opinion isn’t good enough to challenge. 

Hope I’m wrong. 

We’ll see. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I don’t what know your impressed about, I didn’t mention the game or heat or gelling- you’ve just made a whole paragraph up. 

I talked about the squad, which yes has had some additions  but is still largely made up of players who got relegated. 

Apologies if I my last line was confusing- it’s my opinion we’ll finish mid table. Which is better than it was a few weeks ago, but in my opinion isn’t good enough to challenge. 

Hope I’m wrong. 

We’ll see. 

Without better additions wide and central midfield I feel about the same. The defence should be ok after seeing the new boys.

9 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

We’ll see…

Yes we will but no need to be a doom mongering tit off the back of one pre season game 

We have beaten Blackburn, City and Newcastle pre season in living memory and been every bit as shite after that

Cheer up or take up plane spotting 

39 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

We’ll see…

Read your last six posts, if you dislike the club that much why don't you just do a Barry Owen and fuck off, posted bile about the takeover collapsing then backing it up with today's shite, why bother? Takes a special kind of fan to behave like that.

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Hope I’m wrong. 

We’ll see. 

You were posting in a thread about the game while it was on, so, naturally, I presumed you were there. I'm not sure how anyone can make a reasonable assumption on a team if they have not watched them play several times. I wasn't there today so I cannot make any comment on performance or players. If we were to go off some piss boils on Twatter, the team is already relegated.

This is not aimed at you, or anyone in particular, but without the season being underway and maybe a third of the way through, I don't see how anybody could reasonably predict any outcomes. This is unknown territory for us and I certainly don't expect Latics to steamroller any team in front of them. Sheridan appears to be recruiting wisely, given the pedigree of his acquisitions...let's face it, no player of any renown is going to sign for Oldham Athletic.

We are were we are and I do agree with you that even a mid-table finish will, at least, represent some form of stabilisation.
Like you, I hope for better and no apologies necessary, it's a forum and all opinions are valid.

5 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Can’t score against Bamber Bridge 2nd XI… could be a rough awakening next month. 

Wasn't really a competitive football match, was it? 
Ten changes at half time, can't speak for the opposition, but it comes across as more of a training exercise.

2 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Ten changes at half time, can't speak for the opposition, but it comes across as more of a training exercise.

Correct, our players would of had an hard week on the training pitch and this will just be a culmination of that, defensively as I suspected we will be just fine we need that creativity particularly out wide but these games will give Shez the opportunity to see where we are short and hopefully he will be backed, personally I still think if we are serious we need to be in for the likes of Colclough at Alty, surely he'd jump at the chance of moving to us and he's already local, they have plenty to work on but there are definite positives out of today I just hope we can bring in the couple of players of real attacking quality we are lacking at the minute.

20 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It was very much a training exercise, spent the second half catching up with someone who drove me home coked up from Southend years ago after he'd been up 36 hours and someone else who I went to my first Celtic match with in 1988, not much football was watched after half time. That's what pre seasons are for.  

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

I don't see how anybody could reasonably predict any outcomes. This is unknown territory for us and I certainly don't expect Latics to steamroller any team in front of them. Sheridan appears to be recruiting wisely, given the pedigree of his acquisitions...let's face it, no player of any renown is going to sign for Oldham Athletic.

I think fans of every club will be looking at their squads and debating/ speculating where they will finish. There’s nothing unreasonable in looking at the squad and giving an opinion on the rough position we’ll finish. 

My reasoning for a mid table finish is-

Lack of gaols. 

Fondop has never been prolific.

Porters age and fitness record is a worry. 

Luamba is still raw. 

Lack of creativity from our wide players. 

Stobbs and Hope. . . enough said. 

The midfield 

Some unknown players- so who knows, hopefully they come good. 

The defence.

I think Hogan and Angol will be two of our better signings, and our defence will be relatively good. 

I see us being competitive and hardworking but lacking in creativity and goals. But if we can have a real feel good season for the fans, and the club feeling like it’s on the up- I’ll take that. 

4 hours ago, Wardie said:

Mate. It’s Bamber Bridge. 

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Read your last six posts, if you dislike the club that much why don't you just do a Barry Owen and fuck off, posted bile about the takeover collapsing then backing it up with today's shite, why bother? Takes a special kind of fan to behave like that.

Incredibly nasty and hate-fuelled post.

Stop projecting after a beer.

If that’s the kind of response you’re handing out after a half arsed criticism of a 0-0 performance against a bunch of plumbers in a pre-season friendly god help us for when the season starts. 

I’m v. happy about the the news of a takeover but I’m not getting the champers out until it’s official, signed and the actual identity that is revealed turns out to be a sane human being… 

Archived