MATCH: Friendly vs Bamber Bridge 09.07

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shez knows the league and he knows Hope and Stobbs so if he feels they're the best wide options I'll back him. Stobbs showed he can provide decent delivery at the end of the season, with Fondop up top that'll be a decent outlet. 

1st game since relegation out of the efl at a real village set up. If the lads are still shell shocked I'd not blame them. Plenty of time to be ready for the proper games.

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Correct, our players would of had an hard week on the training pitch and this will just be a culmination of that, defensively as I suspected we will be just fine we need that creativity particularly out wide but these games will give Shez the opportunity to see where we are short and hopefully he will be backed, personally I still think if we are serious we need to be in for the likes of Colclough at Alty, surely he'd jump at the chance of moving to us and he's already local, they have plenty to work on but there are definite positives out of today I just hope we can bring in the couple of players of real attacking quality we are lacking at the minute.

Agree about Colclough, he's far better than what we have got. That should always be the criteria when signing players.

I seen us in preseason one year beat newly promoted Watford who went into the prem league, in fact we destroyed them only to go on and have a horrible season. The predictable melt down on here by certain Oldham fans isn’t a surprise. Anyone with any sort of football knowledge knows what pre season is all about. 

2 minutes ago, Fervid said:

I seen us in preseason one year beat newly promoted Watford who went into the prem league, in fact we destroyed them only to go on and have a horrible season. The predictable melt down on here by certain Oldham fans isn’t a surprise. Anyone with any sort of football knowledge knows what pre season is all about. 

It's also realising some shouldn't have  been retained. Anyone there yesterday will see they won't be any better this season than last.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's also realising some shouldn't have  been retained. Anyone there yesterday will see they won't be any better this season than last.

Anyone with half a brain will know you can't judge a player on their 1st run out against a village team. Have some patience and faith in the management.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Al, Mo and Barry to name a few have run us into the ground for feckin years it’s going to take more than 90 mins playing against Bamber Bridge to fix it. 

There is now light at the end of the tunnel with these new owners coming in. 

Their is still time to bring people in and we've only had 1 week of preseason. We are also not hampered by transfer window deadline so we can recruit more players after the 1st of September.

We are a club that has been at war with itself for the last 4 years and currently we've just agreed a week ago, to call a ceasefire. Their is no way we can go from a club that was at an all-time low 2 months ago to challenging for promotion that quickly it simply isn't possible.

If you offered me now I would take mid table at Christmas and we can kick on in the second half of the season. What this club needs more than anything right now is stability. Let Shez get on with building a squad and one that can come together and be added to as the season goes on. I know most people know this and I know most people that dont won't listen but still I feel it needs saying.

17 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Anyone with half a brain will know you can't judge a player on their 1st run out against a village team. Have some patience and faith in the management.

I'm talking about players who haven't been good enough and won't be again this season, I think everyone knows who I mean, including you.

If we can't sign any better we won't get any better results.

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think fans of every club will be looking at their squads and debating/ speculating where they will finish. There’s nothing unreasonable in looking at the squad and giving an opinion on the rough position we’ll finish. 

My reasoning for a mid table finish is-

Lack of gaols. 

Fondop has never been prolific.

Porters age and fitness record is a worry. 

Luamba is still raw. 

Lack of creativity from our wide players. 

Stobbs and Hope. . . enough said. 

The midfield 

Some unknown players- so who knows, hopefully they come good. 

The defence.

I think Hogan and Angol will be two of our better signings, and our defence will be relatively good. 

I see us being competitive and hardworking but lacking in creativity and goals. But if we can have a real feel good season for the fans, and the club feeling like it’s on the up- I’ll take that. 

Was going to give you the 'how on earth can you judge any players without being at the game' speech but to be fair you aren't far off 

Yesterday we played Bamber Bridge FC a club in the Northern Premier League, they are a semi professional club and play teams like FC United, Hyde United and Stalybridge Celtic

Yesterday was their 3rd preseason game, the previous one a 0-7 defeat v Wigan Athletic

Thought BB were a well organised team and their No2 and No8 were decent players and whilst BB didn't score against us they had 2 one on one chances in the 2nd half which they should have scored but our 2nd half keeper Norman did well/ was fortunate to save

Our newcomer No3 Francis-Angol played well defensively and seemed to get a cross into the box every time he went forward

Hogan and McGahey looked solid restricting BB to a couple of half chances so fingers crossed they can keep fit and free from injury

Thought midfield generally was found a bit wanting, that's not to say they weren't trying

Big Mike Fondop held the ball up well and showed some pace despite him looking like he had a small child wrapped around his waist under his shirt

Second half had a full team change which for me is the right thing to do to let your fringe players and younger players get a game

BB got more chances in the 2nd half and were unlucky not to score a couple

Upfront we had Luamba who showed glimpses of his best and No30 Da Silva played along side him and was very quick and could cause problems 

Best player on the park all day was No34 Harry Vaughan who just off this showing will cause havoc in the National League and I suspect draw loads of fouls for free kicks

Personally I thought Windass did okay and got a few crosses into the box but the lads I was with thought "he jumped up for headers with no intention of heading the ball" which made me chuckle

We cant possibly judge a new season in a League we are unfamiliar with off 2 different X1's playing 45mins each 

However, off todays showing, I am confidently predicting that Wigan Athletic on Saturday will comfortably beat us

Newcomer No3 

37 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We could if we released 2 poor ones for 1 good one. 

Getting players out the door particularly those who are under contract who will all have another 12 months to run is more difficult than bringing players in.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Getting players out the door particularly those who are under contract who will all have another 12 months to run is more difficult than bringing players in.

The players I'm talking about should have been released.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The players I'm talking about should have been released.

Yes I think I know who you mean still let's see how this pans out they've been given a chance now so let's see how it pans out we might get rid of them half way through the season if it doesn't work out.

My dad has said he had a terrific day at this game yesterday, as he took a seat at the back of the stand and ended up chatting to three generations of Royles for much of the game.

If we're good, decent, or rubbish this season, it's nice to think that Joe and his family will be there watching with us this season and not Abdallah and his family.

2 minutes ago, Simpo said:

My dad has said he had a terrific day at this game yesterday, as he took a seat at the back of the stand and ended up chatting to three generations of Royles for much of the game.

If we're good, decent, or rubbish this season, it's nice to think that Joe and his family will be there watching with us this season and not Abdallah and his family.

This 100%  we need to back the club now, or when its signed and sealed for some.

If the Royles are to be involved instead of the Clowns how can anyone be negative, especially  after one friendly.

Shezza, Tommy Wright, the Royle family.......  💙🧡

8 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Incredibly nasty and hate-fuelled post.

Stop projecting after a beer.

If that’s the kind of response you’re handing out after a half arsed criticism of a 0-0 performance against a bunch of plumbers in a pre-season friendly god help us for when the season starts. 

I’m v. happy about the the news of a takeover but I’m not getting the champers out until it’s official, signed and the actual identity that is revealed turns out to be a sane human being… 

Fair few assumptions there, I didn't touch a drop yesterday and if you think my response was hate fuelled you could do with growing a pair of bollocks, if you are going to post hoping for bites don't start crying if someone responds the way they do, like I pointed out yesterday you're a troll posting shite and negativity about the takeover and the teams we are putting out after a weeks training and two 45 minute matches at the end of that week, we know you can't wait to say I told you so if it does go pear shaped and you'll be on here prophesying gloom at the earliest opportunity but I thought at least you could of lasted out for more than an hour or two.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is still time to bring people in and we've only had 1 week of preseason. We are also not hampered by transfer window deadline so we can recruit more players after the 1st of September.

We are a club that has been at war with itself for the last 4 years and currently we've just agreed a week ago, to call a ceasefire. Their is no way we can go from a club that was at an all-time low 2 months ago to challenging for promotion that quickly it simply isn't possible.

If you offered me now I would take mid table at Christmas and we can kick on in the second half of the season. What this club needs more than anything right now is stability. Let Shez get on with building a squad and one that can come together and be added to as the season goes on. I know most people know this and I know most people that dont won't listen but still I feel it needs saying.

Spot on. 

Nothing wrong with hope, in fact that’s what we’ve been crying out for- but we need to realistic about the squad. 

Archived