MATCH: Friendly vs Bamber Bridge 09.07

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their is still time to bring people in and we've only had 1 week of preseason. We are also not hampered by transfer window deadline so we can recruit more players after the 1st of September.

We are a club that has been at war with itself for the last 4 years and currently we've just agreed a week ago, to call a ceasefire. Their is no way we can go from a club that was at an all-time low 2 months ago to challenging for promotion that quickly it simply isn't possible.

If you offered me now I would take mid table at Christmas and we can kick on in the second half of the season. What this club needs more than anything right now is stability. Let Shez get on with building a squad and one that can come together and be added to as the season goes on. I know most people know this and I know most people that dont won't listen but still I feel it needs saying.

I agree with most of that and after a disastrous 4 years of free fall mid table security and stability within the club will do for me, however, rightly or wrongly Shez has publicly stated that his target is for us to go straight back up!

He’s probably put himself under pressure with that statement and you just know the knives will be out if we aren’t challenging at the top end after a couple of months.

I must admit, IMO, Hope and Stobbs should have been released on last season’s showing but Shez is more experienced than me in making those type of  decisions and 90 minutes in is not a time to be over critical.

Lets chill out, get behind Shez and the players and see where we are at the turn of the year by which time we can make a much fairer assessment of the squad’s capabilities in this division.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not seen much chat about Burgess. How did he play? Where did he play? I thought he might have been signed as a wide player but did he play up front off Fondop?

Fondop on his own up front, not a soul supported him.

19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Fondop on his own up front, not a soul supported him.

Always seem to have this problem with Shez' teams, I hope we are not going to go out for a 0-0 every week hoping to sneak a win, I'd like to think we could give Vaughan a chance given he at least looks to play forwards, what formation were we playing then? 

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Always seem to have this problem with Shez' teams, I hope we are not going to go out for a 0-0 every week hoping to sneak a win, I'd like to think we could give Vaughan a chance given he at least looks to play forwards, what formation were we playing then? 

Tis the way his teams have played for years.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think this will be the case. 

But to be fair to Shez, he could argue that’s exactly what we need in this league. Especially after being a soft touch last year as well. 

The issue with grafting, non expansive football is there is little room for movement. If you’re winning- fans won’t mind a bore fest. If results are indifferent fans will get fed up with it- (even with Shez) 

3 minutes ago, owdumer said:

Hogan's interview after the game was a cut above the normal cliche ridden player interview. Obviously an intelligent guy and could be a major influence on the tam's attitude etc.

Was he captain yesterday? You'd think he'd be in the frame for it.

From the brief look yesterday Hogan and Maynard would make a good CB pairing.

Left back will be fine too.

Hopefully a couple of decent wingers and Fondop and Porter up front will help.

Got to get Harry Vaughan in, he's one of the few players who can run with the ball and commit defenders.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I'm talking about players who haven't been good enough and won't be again this season, I think everyone knows who I mean, including you.

If we can't sign any better we won't get any better results.

They're playing in a worse league and we've shipped out the real shit. Shez wanted these lads so i back him to get the best out of them

10 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Mate. It’s Bamber Bridge. 

I get that and I understand how someone could feel Latics should be battering teams of that standing...but Latics are not the team they were even a handful of seasons ago when finishing 17th in League One. Latics are non-league on merit, they are shell-shocked [as are we all], they have new players to gel in and they have had one week of training.

As I said previously, the players are not going to go hell for leather, not at this stage and not in this heat. Fitness and match practice as a team is key, not getting yourself nobbled in the first game of pre-season. There is, to be clichéd, a long way to go.

32 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I get that and I understand how someone could feel Latics should be battering teams of that standing...but Latics are not the team they were even a handful of seasons ago when finishing 17th in League One. Latics are non-league on merit, they are shell-shocked [as are we all], they have new players to gel in and they have had one week of training.

As I said previously, the players are not going to go hell for leather, not at this stage and not in this heat. Fitness and match practice as a team is key, not getting yourself nobbled in the first game of pre-season. There is, to be clichéd, a long way to go.

New Owner bringing our Club back together for the first time in decades, hopefully getting the basics of running a football club right, valuing our supporters and pride in wearing our shirt back

What we have been hoping for is weeks away

Wonder how long the new owner and management team will get before some sections of our fanbase will be moaning we are not investing enough £s in the playing squad

30 minutes ago, latics22 said:

New keeper, another centre back, 3 more mids/winger, fast hungry striker. Not much to ask

The new keeper did fine yesterday and we are ok for decent centre backs.

The goal poacher I agree.

Wingers aren't good enough though.

Top priority must be getting the club on an even financial footing, getting adequate backroom and administrative staff in both quality and numbers and re-igniting the feel-good factor amongst the supporters, players and staff.

Get the basics right and success will eventually hopefully follow.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Tis the way his teams have played for years.

I get that and it works when you are trying to scrape points together to survive but a team hoping to go for promotion just can't have that mentality, it doesn't work.

I've commented previously about Stockport who surprisingly lost 10 last season they only drew 4 which tells me being hard to beat isn't really going to prove fruitful, we also need to find goals and those wide men yesterday will provide a low return, we may as well play with wing backs as they had more quality in the final third than our preferred wide men.

Archived