MATCH: vs Torquay United (A) 06/08/22

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Ah, forward thinking parents who thought my boy may get into Hulme so we should move to Saddleworth and get a West Riding fee paying grant.

Did it work out?

I was born in Oldham, but my parents moved to Grasscroft when I was 10. My mum lived in Scouthead as a child, but always wanted to return to Saddleworth when she could afford it. The fact that they got a 'Thorne scheme' grant from West Riding County Council, so I could go to Hulme, was never mentioned!! 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To this day I still find it fascinating to stand on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border by Austerlands chimney (when I am visiting a friend up there). You look up Huddersfield Road and you view the typical stone terraced cottages of West Yorkshire. You look down the road and you view the typical Accrington brick terraced houses of Lancashire. It really is a fascinating, and very vivid, juxtaposition. 

5 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

To this day I still find it fascinating to stand on the Yorkshire/Lancashire border by Austerlands chimney (when I am visiting a friend up there). You look up Huddersfield Road and you view the typical stone terraced cottages of West Yorkshire. You look down the road and you view the typical Accrington brick terraced houses of Lancashire. It really is a fascinating, and very vivid, juxtaposition. 

Always seems very odd that the border is where it is. Given that when you head east from Saddleworth there are miles of moorland before hitting another town or village the middle of the moor would appear to be a far more logical dividing line. 

On 8/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, Dave_Og said:

Always seems very odd that the border is where it is. Given that when you head east from Saddleworth there are miles of moorland before hitting another town or village the middle of the moor would appear to be a far more logical dividing line. 

Yeah, the old tale of the kings head at grains bar. The main room is in Lancashire the tap room is in Yorkshire. I lived in shaw all my childhood years and it was well worn story. Whether the old boundary lines were/are correct was always irrelevant to me. The whole pub is Lancashire and quite a few miles from Yorkshire. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, the old tale of the kings head at grains bar. The main room is in Lancashire the tap room is in Yorkshire. I lived in shaw all my childhood years and it was well worn story. Whether the old boundary lines were/are correct was always irrelevant to me. The whole pub is Lancashire and quite a few miles from Yorkshire. 

Kings Arms I think.  My first regular pub after dry slope skiing lessons at Counthill.  From mum's place I can see the line of the border coming down the hill east of Mossley and round the back of Saddleworth Cricket Club

On 8/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, Dave_Og said:

I once studied ancient boundaries (I know...). It's amazing how many changes there have been over the centuries. The river Medlock, about half a mile below Austerlands was, for a long time, a natural boundary. The Normans have a lot to answer to; carved up ancient boundaries to reward their Lords etc. When the argument flares around Saddleworth/Yorkshire/Lancashire etc., I always say... no worries, they were both in Northumbria long before either county existed! (although again, the boundary was often blurred as the land between the Mersey and the Ribble was often contested between Northumbria and Mercia).

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived