MATCH: vs Torquay United (A) 06/08/22

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

When it was in The West Riding of Yorkshire?

It's a bit weird that lots of Oldhamers resent that while insisting they're nor part of Manchester given that both changes came about as a result of the same local government reorganisation 

53 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's a bit weird that lots of Oldhamers resent that while insisting they're nor part of Manchester given that both changes came about as a result of the same local government reorganisation 

I'm perfectly happy to be part of Manchester but want nothing to do with Jimmy Saville's lot. 

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

I was born in the West Riding according to my birth certificate and started going to Elland Road when I was 17 on my motorbike for a couple of seasons until I saw the light or was it the floodlights reflection on Jimmy Fryatts head one Tuesday night and watched them ever since 1970 .

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

I was born in the West Riding according to my birth certificate and started going to Elland Road when I was 17 on my motorbike for a couple of seasons until I saw the light or was it the floodlights reflection on Jimmy Fryatts head one Tuesday night and watched them ever since 1970 .

A soul saved............God moves in mysterious ways !   😇

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

I've always been Latics but I went to quite a few games at Elland Rd too, sometimes on my motorbike. Only if Latics were away at somewhere like Exeter or Torquay of course. I had a mate who supported Uddersfield Town so I went to some of their games too, all round about the early seventies.

20 hours ago, redlion said:

I'm having a bottle of Black Sheep with my tea tonight. Where do I live and where did I grow up ?

If it's 'tea' in the evening rather than 'dinner' you were brought up as lower class!!

4 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Saddleworth is still in Yorkshire as the historic county boundaries were not altered as a result of the Local Government Act 1972.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Many Failsworthians also consider themselves to be part of Manchester, although it's really not been a part of Manchester since 1894.

53 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

If it's 'tea' in the evening rather than 'dinner' you were brought up as lower class!!

Saddleworth is still in Yorkshire as the historic county boundaries were not altered as a result of the Local Government Act 1972.

Many Failsworthians also consider themselves to be part of Manchester, although it's really not been a part of Manchester since 1894.

There was a very lively debate in Saddleworth at the time about whether it should become a borough of Oldham or Tameside. 

50 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

There was a very lively debate in Saddleworth at the time about whether it should become a borough of Oldham or Tameside. 

My  wife was brought up from birth in Diggle, the West Riding of Yorkshire as it was back then, but was born at Manchester General Hospital, she insists she is a Yorkshire woman, but I say she's a Lancastrian. Who is right?

Just now, BP1960 said:

My  wife was brought up from birth in Diggle, the West Riding of Yorkshire as it was back then, but was born at Manchester General Hospital, she insists she is a Yorkshire woman, but I say she's a Lancastrian. Who is right?

At your age you should know you've more chance of winning an argument on here than at home !!  😄

42 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Depends if she wanted to play cricket for Yorkshire when she was younger. 

I on the other hand was born at hom in Broadway but moved to Saddleworth pre-school age. I am most definitely Lancastrian as is mum (Southport) and as was my Dad (Oldham) 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I on the other hand was born at hom in Broadway but moved to Saddleworth pre-school age. I am most definitely Lancastrian as is mum (Southport) and as was my Dad (Oldham) 

Ah, forward thinking parents who thought my boy may get into Hulme so we should move to Saddleworth and get a West Riding fee paying grant.

Did it work out?

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Your wife. 

19 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Ah, forward thinking parents who thought my boy may get into Hulme so we should move to Saddleworth and get a West Riding fee paying grant.

Did it work out?

Hard working father who came from the mean streets of Oldham and pledged to himself that he would get out of the smoke and into the fresh air. And did it. 

Me Dad was born in Scouthead as was his brother before him. Me Dad never got over the fact that the boundary change made him a tight Yorkshireman and his brother a proud Lancastrian!! I like to bring it up now and again!! 😉😉

Archived