MATCH: vs Torquay United (A) 06/08/22

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Can't see either Porter or Fondop playing many full 90 minutes. So if you play both you are probably going to be 2 Subs down straight away. So it's more likely we will go with 1cor the other.

Fair point but if that turns out to be 'the' partnership that may be a price worth paying, from what I've seen so far it could work, Hope and Luamba after an hour wouldn't be a bad option either.

I thought we looked very similar to how we were under Bunn. when many were moaning about us only being in and around the play off places 😀

Strong, fit, workmanlike, unspectacular, keeping it tight first 60 minutes and then (nearly in this case) finishing them off in the last half hour with fresh legs and superior fitness.

I agree Fondop was more of a threat than Porter but I'd stick with an hour of Porter's nouse followed by half an hour of a more impactful Fondop. For now.

While they had their chances I was struck by how in control we largely seemed and how long it felt like since we appeared to be the side with the better players.

I imagine Torquay will be one of the less shit sides in the league, comfortably mid table, possibly threatening playoffs, but we looked clearly superior in most areas despite it being the first competitive game together for most of them. 

If we sign some goals + our best 4 or 5 players these next few days and weeks I can see us being right up there. 

17 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I thought we looked very similar to how we were under Bunn. when many were moaning about us only being in and around the play off places 😀

Strong, fit, workmanlike, unspectacular, keeping it tight first 60 minutes and then (nearly in this case) finishing them off in the last half hour with fresh legs and superior fitness.

I agree Fondop was more of a threat than Porter but I'd stick with an hour of Porter's nouse followed by half an hour of a more impactful Fondop. For now.

While they had their chances I was struck by how in control we largely seemed and how long it felt like since we appeared to be the side with the better players.

I imagine Torquay will be one of the less shit sides in the league, comfortably mid table, possibly threatening playoffs, but we looked clearly superior in most areas despite it being the first competitive game together for most of them. 

If we sign some goals + our best 4 or 5 players these next few days and weeks I can see us being right up there. 

if we add 4 or 5 better player plus goals we shudnt lose a game this season

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Are there any highlights from Saturday anywhere?

I'm going to assume we've edited those highlights as I remember it being a bit more even than this! But it shows how many chances we had. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I'm going to assume we've edited those highlights as I remember it being a bit more even than this! But it shows how many chances we had. 

Chances were there on another day we win that comfortably, that lad from Fylde would score for fun for us it seems almost a no brainer to bring him in.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Chances were there on another day we win that comfortably, that lad from Fylde would score for fun for us it seems almost a no brainer to bring him in.

Probably a fair few teams with their eye on him

14 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

good to see you back.

injuries and wild hacks permiting l reckon Gardner will play 40+ in all comps all starting with Vaughan and Burgess looking to pick up 25-30 appearances each (8-10 starts) l expext both to make an impact for us and Dan Gardner to show them the way.

It’s been a while. 
Not surprised to see you’re still as busy on here as ever.

Agree with the above, can see Vaughan getting the majority of his game time in home games or those played on 4/5G.

Infact, surely Shez will go with the better footballers for those games not on grass?

These highlights are spot on 👍 and capture the flow of the game (Torquay on top early on - Latics then in control)
It does show ALL the good bits and SOME of the bad bits (Hope’s poor first touch when Stobbs played him in, Tollit’s mishit shots).
The majority of the other bad bits are rightly considered not to be highlights.
We should have won.
Bring on the Dorking 😎

8 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

It’s been a while. 
Not surprised to see you’re still as busy on here as ever.

Agree with the above, can see Vaughan getting the majority of his game time in home games or those played on 4/5G.

Infact, surely Shez will go with the better footballers for those games not on grass?

When we play Bromley on 4G we need a big strong side, they have some units

Our finishing really was dreadful but perhaps on another day a couple go in!

The penalty shout looks more valid on the highlights but it was right in front of me and in the moment I thought no penalty as they arrived about the same time and I felt the keeper was totally focussed on the ball

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

These highlights are spot on 👍 and capture the flow of the game (Torquay on top early on - Latics then in control)
It does show ALL the good bits and SOME of the bad bits (Hope’s poor first touch when Stobbs played him in, Tollit’s mishit shots).
The majority of the other bad bits are rightly considered not to be highlights.
We should have won.
Bring on the Dorking 😎

Good to see Tollitt in those positions so many times. If/when he stops snatching at the chances he could score a lot of goals.

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

SOME of the bad bits (Hope’s poor first touch when Stobbs played him in

Absolutely…as usual, it took him a bloody fortnight to control the ball……nobody can convince me the bloke is even half decent and any sort of asset to this squad.

************HOPELESS*************

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Screenshotted...

Just now, oafc1955 said:

Absolutely…as usual, it took him a bloody fortnight to control the ball……nobody can convince me the bloke is even half decent and any sort of asset to this squad.

************HOPELESS*************

While Jordan Clarke is no more or less bog standard whether in League 1, 2 or the Conference HH is no more or less fucking useless in whichever league. 

Looks like we missed some chances, but could’ve lost if the one that hit the bar goes in. Good result, we move on.

I don’t think that late penalty was the travesty of justice some are suggesting. The run of the ball seems to indicate the keeper definitely touched it..

Archived