Sheridan To Depart Latics

I interviewed Ernie Cooksey on this exact same subject, obviously a few years back. He said there were loads of players better than him at his level, largely conference south, that wouldn't go pro because it would mean a drop in wages which they couldn't do as they had kids, mortgage etc. I watched a lot of conference south around then. There were three players just from my local club that played in the Premier League 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Of course there are, it's a no brainer, unless you have got a decent bit of fall back cash it would be madness to take a weekly hit. 

That's the point i was trying to make. Bit long winded from me but people think we can just go into the league below and quickly pick up the best talent in there. It's not the case and recruitment isn't as easy as people think unless the board are prepared to throw decent sums at it.

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

That's the point i was trying to make. Bit long winded from me but people think we can just go into the league below and quickly pick up the best talent in there. It's not the case and recruitment isn't as easy as people think unless the board are prepared to throw decent sums at it.

Absolutely. 

23 hours ago, PeteG said:

The fact he says by hook or by crook suggests it is a slight dig at the board. 

Another signing (that’s been in the pipeline for a couple of weeks) on a fairly decent length contract suggests he’s got the backing of the board. 

23 hours ago, PeteG said:

The fact he says by hook or by crook suggests it is a slight dig at the board. Hes stated in nearly every interview new players will be in by the next game but apart from Rooney hes only managed a couple of short term youth loans. He must have his targets and they must be available if he's saying they will be in but what are we offering? To attract decent players you've got to be offering a minimum of £75k per year and a 2 year contract. If you want the best players in this league you need to be offering £150k per year. Given the increase in gates and other revenue streams i don't think it's unreasonable to expect 4 players in which will cost £450k. 4 players in that price budget would make an enormous difference in this league and would ensure we stay up and probably propel us towards a top half finish which would keep fans coming and set us up for a proper go at it next season. Forget spending any more money on completing the fans bar/north stand, that can wait, we need a team that's competitive. If they don't back the manager with funds, they aren't serious about the footballing side of the business and think running a nice community club will satisfy the majority of the fanbase. Maybe the fans have led them to believe that by continually stating it wasn't about results and we just wanted a well run club that engaged with the fans and local community. 

Talking horse shit Barry, not for the first time the last 20 years 

11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hope it works out better than the Rooney was is appearing to do at the moment...

We won't se the best out of Rooney until they play him as a attacking midfielder in a 4. His current role doesn't get the best out of him. 

37 minutes ago, disjointed said:

We won't se the best out of Rooney until they play him as a attacking midfielder in a 4. His current role doesn't get the best out of him. 

Is that even going to happen if the managers favoured formation (which he has said himself on many occasions) is 3-5-2...?

17 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Is that even going to happen if the managers favoured formation (which he has said himself on many occasions) is 3-5-2...?

Five in midfield has to give scope for someone to be an attacking midfielder?  Depends on whether we have people who can actually play wingback as intended

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Five in midfield has to give scope for someone to be an attacking midfielder?  Depends on whether we have people who can actually play wingback as intended

Which at this moment in time we don't have. I'm prepared to give Rooney the benefit of doubt for now. 

Archived