Sheridan To Depart Latics

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone is successful here and a bigger club comes in for them they are going to take it. That goes for players managers coaches that will always be the case. 

What we need to do is make sure that they only leave because it is a significantly bigger better opportunity. The idea is to make sure the Oldham Job is as good as an opportunity as possible for someone so that they aren't tempted to jump at the first opportunity. Secondly if they do jump then the better the job is the higher the calibre of candidates who could replace them is of rather than the usual desperados.

Bottom line being is we need to make the job/opportunity as attractive as possible.

I like the way the club have handled the situation. They gave John a shot because of his passion for the club, but it's been poor. So, they've had a chat, it's all very amicable and respectful and they give him the chance to bow out gracefully with the fans. I like it. 

As for the manager, any of those listed  on the betting sites, except Hill. NO to Hill!!!!

8 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And then left for one...

Yes he did, after 11 years, getting us in the play-offs, playing great football, getting us to the League Cup final, two FA cup semi finals, promotion as champions, three years in the top and flight and then relegation after we ran out of steam following the last minute goal by he who shall not be named. All done on a shoe string. Then his home town club, a big club, come in for him and he rightly thought the time was right to go. Oh, and he had turned City down a few years before.

But hey, let's dwell on the negative (which isn't really a negative). Greatest man in our history, ever. Still...

14 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

That interview is as classy as any of the performances he put in in a great playing career.

Thanks John for all you have done for this club, and all the very best for the future.

To those questioning why he should get one final game as a send-off, I feel sorry for you. The game is about results, of course, as John himself admits, but it's about so much more.

Once voted Sheffield Wednesday's finest ever player. Won in a Wembley final with them. Title winner at Bolton Wanderers. Graced the international stage whilst playing in 2 World Cups for his country, including playing in the Irish team that defeated the mighty Italy in 1994. A supreme footballer.

And yet, his true football love is for his beloved Oldham Athletic. His favourite memories are of Latics fans at places like Scunthorpe and Chesterfield!

"Here's to you, Jonny Sheridan..."

Lift the roof off today, Latics fans.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

That interview is as classy as any of the performances he put in in a great playing career.

Thanks John for all you have done for this club, and all the very best for the future.

To those questioning why he should get one final game as a send-off, I feel sorry for you. The game is about results, of course, as John himself admits, but it's about so much more.

True. Despite our lowly status, we're a proper club, with a proper history and proper legends. We should embrace it. Think we'll get 3 points today, too. Hopefully a win win.

On 9/16/2022 at 4:21 PM, bigfatjoe1 said:

I like the way the club have handled the situation. They gave John a shot because of his passion for the club, but it's been poor. So, they've had a chat, it's all very amicable and respectful and they give him the chance to bow out gracefully with the fans. I like it. 

Eh? We all needed to get behind him even if it was going badly and he was "under no pressure" and would be given backing & time just two months ago.

About a month before they started offering his job to other people. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Eh? We all needed to get behind him even if it was going badly and he was "under no pressure" and would be given backing & time just two months ago.

About a month before they started offering his job to other people. 

They're hardly going to say anything else are they.

36 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

They're hardly going to say anything else are they.

They'd have been better saying nothing then. I do agree with Dave that it's very strange how they publicly stated he was under no pressure in the first press conference and the interview with Cheeseman, but were offering his job about to other people. It's very "Lemsagamy". Glad they did, like, but even so it is peculiar given their comments...

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Perhaps John had already spoken to them about his desire to step aside and it was mutually agreed they should seek an alternative?

Sounds very credible.  He said he felt an obligation to see it through to the takeover and he was hardly here for the long term.  Either way, it's pretty clear they parted on good terms

43 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They'd have been better saying nothing then. I do agree with Dave that it's very strange how they publicly stated he was under no pressure in the first press conference and the interview with Cheeseman, but were offering his job about to other people. It's very "Lemsagamy". Glad they did, like, but even so it is peculiar given their 

Archived