Jonny the legend and our lord!

Ok some people wanted a change fair enough! But here is a chance to say good bye, let’s hear your words of praise. Maybe the foundation can pass them on to our Jonny! Battled through injury, came back and saved us ! Have us hope when there was none and brought us happy memories! Many happy memories!

I’ll start! Centre of the pitch whilst carrying a dodgy knee! Pinging ball around like it was easy! Scoring the winning penalty away at Sheffield Wednesday! Play offs, unbelievable relegation come backs! Hope hope hope ! Love you John! CHESTERFIELD!!! 

Shame I can't be there to give him a send off. I'm sure you will all do that though. 

He will be remembered as a great player that helped us steady the ship in the late 90's early 2000's we would have kept tumbling but for his performances then. 

It's not worked out this last 9 months but no manager would have made this last 9 months work with the amount of upheaval that's gone on. You have to wonder when the takeover went through and money wasn't being spent that perhaps the new board were monitoring the situation and perhaps looking to bring their own man in although I could be speculating there it will be interesting to see  what transfer moves we make in the next 6 months. I doubt Mr Unsworth will be taking on the roll unless he was given certain assurances.

In time I think we will remember him as a good manager. The football we played at the start of the 2006-07 still hasn't been bettered in the last 15 years. The way we pulled clear in the second half of the 2015-16 and 2016-17 when Corney and Co were downing tools was an achievement that will also be remembered. It might not be now as lacklustre defeats to Chesterfield and Woking remain fresh in people's minds but we will in time remember him as a good manager too.

Remember watching many a game in early 2000s after he joined from Doncaster.  Knees f*cked, rarely left the centre circle but orchestrating the play, creating loads of chances and it was a joy to watch.  The Sheridan brothers in midfield.

Managed us under our last Play-Off run, the Belle Vue incident in 2009….and then returned to help us avoid relegation the first time but too late last season to save us.

100% amongst the legends of our club.  A great servant and well deserves not only today’s send off but a permanent reminder at the club.  Rename the fan bar perhaps in time for when he attends as a fan for Wrexham on October 1st??

9 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

His 1st management season regular team:

Pogs

Eardley

Haining

Stam (then Gregan)

Charlton

Liddell

Wellens

McDonald

Taylor

Warne

Porter

That team took so many apart in that season.  We haven't finished higher since.

Ironic that was 442 but his stubbornness with this stupid 352 this season led to his departure.  He’ll be first to admit his stubbornness, he’s a dinosaur and the club needed fresh ideas and a change in manager #class

14 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

His 1st management season regular team:

Pogs

Eardley

Haining

Stam (then Gregan)

Charlton

Liddell

Wellens

McDonald

Taylor

Warne

Porter

That team took so many apart in that season.  We haven't finished higher since.

Some team. Massive shame we fell off so hard at the end of that season.

5 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Remember watching many a game in early 2000s after he joined from Doncaster.  Knees f*cked, rarely left the centre circle but orchestrating the play, creating loads of chances and it was a joy to watch.  The Sheridan brothers in midfield.

Managed us under our last Play-Off run, the Belle Vue incident in 2009….and then returned to help us avoid relegation the first time but too late last season to save us.

100% amongst the legends of our club.  A great servant and well deserves not only today’s send off but a permanent reminder at the club.  Rename the fan bar perhaps in time for when he attends as a fan for Wrexham on October 1st??

I think he returned twice in League one Mids and saved us from relegation. Could be wrong though.

Both times we looked dead and buried too. Shame he couldnt make it a hat-trick!

15 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Good footballer...     Played in 2 world cups and you think he's "good" - shows what you know about football!

35 minutes ago, philwhite said:

He’s also played a part in us being relegated twice. Hope he doesn’t get the hat trick up come the end of the season 🤞🤞

FFS - are you actually Latics fans?

Give it a rest and show some appreciation for a man who adores us as a club and has always given his all.

5 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Give it a rest and show some appreciation for a man who adores us as a club and has always given his all.

Has he?

Walked out to Notts County didn't he only a couple of weeks before the 2016/7 season started?

Like @Lee Sinnottsays-a good player for us but as a manager-well history will always tell that he took us out of the football lge for the first time in our history.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Has he?

Walked out to Notts County didn't he only a couple of weeks before the 2016/7 season started?

Like @Lee Sinnottsays-a good player for us but as a manager-well history will always tell that he took us out of the football lge for the first time in our history.

He was offered a huge contract at a time that the crook Simon Corney was getting found out.. but carry on talking shite 

I've been one of his biggest critics this season, and have been proven right in the fact that he just wasn't up to it unfortunately, but he has bowed out gracefully with his head held high which is as it should be.

As a player and manager he genuinly really cared about Oldham Athletic, and did his best for us in some pretty difficult circumstances.

Here's to you Johnny Sheridan....

All the very best in your retirement and thanks for everything.👍👍🍺

I think to get a level we compare him to managers since we dropped to division three. There's been better (Dowie and Johnson) and worse (too many characters required). But some of my favourite moments in that time came under Shez. Swansea away, Leeds, Everton and Gillingham in the rain. All games I put in his CV as games he got so very right.

11 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Phil is one of the most loyal and ardent Latics supporters. 
I don’t necessarily agree with him re Shez as manager but his views carry a legitimacy that outdo very many on here. 
Great supporter. 

Thank you. I know everyone doesn’t agree with my views re Sheridan but it is all about opinions.

Archived