Signing & Player Rumours

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

As he's been at Liverpool, Wigan and Hull I think we can safely say he's been coached

Of course he's had coaching, but he's a born natural so that would be on tactical nous. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Of course he's had coaching, but he's a born natural so that would be on tactical nous. 

I d get that and I do agree that modern systems, while often very effective, have extracted a lot of individual flair from the game.  I really wish you wouldn't take any post that doesn't absolutely agree with you as some form of personal slight.  Mine certainly aren't meant that way and I very much doubt that many are.

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Unfortunately, IMO a lot of this has been knocked out of talented young players by rigid coaching.

It is evident, to me at least, from watching Latics under Unsworth that the players are more concerned about holding their shape than actually closing down or attacking the ball.

The opposition know this and that’s why so many teams simply play around and through us…

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I d get that and I do agree that modern systems, while often very effective, have extracted a lot of individual flair from the game.  I really wish you wouldn't take any post that doesn't absolutely agree with you as some form of personal slight.  Mine certainly aren't meant that way and I very much doubt that many are.

Grumpy old man syndrome. 

42 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Forgot were all geniuses at football management

You don’t have to be a ‘football genius’ to spot patterns of play and how teams setup. It comes with the experience of watch Latics, and live football in general, for more than 57 years 😮

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

This is what happens then 2 grumpy old men clash.🥴

2 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

Forgot were all geniuses at football management

I've been seeing this and similar a lot lately.

Many of us eat, sleep & shit OAFC (+ football in general) and have seen hundreds of, if not over a thousand, matches yet some crack on as if nobody can ever have picked any knowledge/insight up from that over all those years..... 

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Many of us eat, sleep & shit OAFC (+ football in general) and have seen hundreds of, if not over a thousand, matches yet some crack on as if nobody can ever have picked any knowledge/insight up from that over all those years..... 

I haven’t, unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I suppose there are those who are really into tactics, formations and coaching methods etc and then there are those like me. I watch football for the entertainment, for the effort, the skill, the dribbling, the shooting, the tackling. the blood and thunder etc. I'm not fussed about 442, high press or whatever. I just want entertainment. Sadly I've not seen much for quite a while.

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

Hate that experience argument, could mean uve been chatting $hit for years to

38 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I’m with @HarryBoschon this one obvs 🙄 

Many on this board are well into their sixties (and seventies for some) and have actually picked up a lot from watching football for so long.

I agree that ‘experience’ does not automatically make anyone better qualified to speak on footballing matters, however by the same token, it can bring a greater insight to some.

Football's a simple game.  That's why so many people love it.

Coaching qualifications and experience are great, but you need the X Factor as well to be a good manager.

And Unsworth doesn't have it..

Guest Stanley30
22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Football's a simple game.  That's why so many people love it.

Coaching qualifications and experience are great, but you need the X Factor as well to be a good manager.

And Unsworth doesn't have it..

But Dean holden does

32 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m with @HarryBoschon this one obvs 🙄 

Many on this board are well into their sixties (and seventies for some) and have actually picked up a lot from watching football for so long.

I agree that ‘experience’ does not automatically make anyone better qualified to speak on footballing matters, however by the same token, it can bring a greater insight to some.

Great being old

You can actually say 'I was there half a century or more ago, when you were just a glint in your father's eye

It was a real man's game back then, non of this rolling around in agony and holding your face nonsense, when someone's breathed on you and defenders putting in tough challenges, all fair mind.

How I miss Proper football, a far cry from the garbage we're stuck with right now.

57 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Great being old

You can actually say 'I was there half a century or more ago, when you were just a glint in your father's eye

It was a real man's game back then, non of this rolling around in agony and holding your face nonsense, when someone's breathed on you and defenders putting in tough challenges, all fair mind.

How I miss Proper football, a far cry from the garbage we're stuck with right now.

Wasn't there a time a few years ago when refs were told to crack down on simulation. Well that didn't work. If a player goes down writhing in agony he should be made to leave the pitch and undergo an extensive medical examination.

35 minutes ago, redlion said:

.If a player goes down writhing in agony he should be made to leave the pitch and undergo an extensive medical examination.

Typically though, they go down holding their head 😮

I do agree that refs should call on the trainers as soon as a player goes down injured and that there should be a two minute time lapse from when they exit the pitch to when they re-enter… just to be sure that they’re okay obviously 🙄 

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Great being old

Although Alan Groves did his share of rolling.

Mind you he was often viciously chopped down in full flight.

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Great being old

Anyone else remember when Frank Large played a Half with a broken leg !

Archived