Signing & Player Rumours

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Maybe but why bring in players like Peck then? Surely the purpose of an Academy is to provide a pathway and blood players?, this was never going to happen under Unsworth, for me it's short sighted and begs the question is it really worth having particularly under a manager who only seems interested in you if you are dating the daughter.

First - I think Undsworth has thus far proved to be entirely fucking useless. This isn't a defence of him. 

However, one potential explanation for something like that is as simple as we wanted to sell him.  If you know he's a bit light and could be found out you don't want to expose that whilst a Championship team is thinking of giving you up to 100 grand. Let them worry about that when he's their problem.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Vaughan is a talent but physically not ready for the mens game.

He was in those League Two games where he played really well.

If Curle, Shez & Unsworth had played him in most of the games since he made his first team debut we'd probably be in a far better position than we are now.

Or have sold him for a much higher fee. 

35 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He was in those League Two games where he played really well.

If Curle, Shez & Unsworth had played him in most of the games since he made his first team debut we'd probably be in a far better position than we are now.

Or have sold him for a much higher fee. 

Or we'd be further down the league as he loses the ball easily or he'd be injured from the challenges he cannot cope with. All hypothetical. 

He played ok, in spells. He wasn't consistently really good hence managers not picking him. He hasn't been really good in a semi pro league on loan.

He needs youth football and we need people ready for mens football. This transfer is good for all of parties.

2 hours ago, Shrek said:

Or we'd be further down the league as he loses the ball easily or he'd be injured from the challenges he cannot cope with. All hypothetical. 

He played ok, in spells. He wasn't consistently really good hence managers not picking him. He hasn't been really good in a semi pro league on loan.

He needs youth football and we need people ready for mens football. This transfer is good for all of parties.

Have you seen a player at all whose been okay in our midfield this season because I haven't even now there's only really Sheron who'll put his foot in and work back which is probably why most of the goals we concede come from teams just playing it through us, now I'm sure Shelton will improve us but the rest have been a crock of shit, we have played loan player after loan player in front of Harry, not even named him on the bench for the majority of the time yet he competed very well as a young lad in the League above.

Our club is always going to sell players it's almost criminal that we don't give them a platform to play yet we are happy to turn out everybody else's unproven or unwanted shite, I'm not hailing him as the next Messi but it was as clear as night and day that he was one of the only players on the books who could look after the football, was always looking to a forward pass and he gave the crowd a buzz.

To me it's further proof of how poor a man manager Unsworth is and he probably viewed a talented footballer like Harry as more of a problem than an asset.

28 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Blaming Unsworth for not playing him when two very experienced and at times successful managers didn't pick him either......

Even if he wasn't ready to be playing week in and week out, he should've had more chances and we should've looked to tie him down and get him in the side next season. 

As soon as he got the chance to back up his theory that he wasn't good enough, he stuck the knife in. 

Just seems very self-motivated to me. 

It seems to me now that anything and everything is Unsworth’s fault. It is getting tedious and repetitive. He’s not my favourite manager and has hardly set the world alight but IMO the constant and seemingly endless barrage of criticism aimed at him is way over the top!!

18 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Even if he wasn't ready to be playing week in and week out, he should've had more chances and we should've looked to tie him down and get him in the side next season. 

As soon as he got the chance to back up his theory that he wasn't good enough, he stuck the knife in. 

Just seems very self-motivated to me. 

We can only really have 4 outfield subs. With Reid fit it'll be a struggle to get him and Timmy on the bench. No room for the little fella whose not ready for adult football.

Not the environment for a physically weak player to develop. Youth high level football is what was thought to be best for him and what he has moved to. The club wouldn't be able to offer that or indeed make him stay.

6 figures and a sell on for a youth player in a conference team is good business. Especially given he only had 6 months left on his contract (he's had quite abit of interest (City, Burnley) and there is nothing to say he would have stayed at Oldham even if he had been played more etc.). Should he have been given more of a chance? Probably. However, I can see how managers may have viewed him as lacking some physicallity (particularly in this league). We get some money and are still invested in his development with a sell-on. The lad gets a good move higher up the league. It's a win win and good luck to him.

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

It seems to me now that anything and everything is Unsworth’s fault. It is getting tedious and repetitive. He’s not my favourite manager and has hardly set the world alight but IMO the constant and seemingly endless barrage of criticism aimed at him is way over the top!!

If you think Vaughan should've played more and not been sold, who else do you aim the criticism at? 

5 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

If you think Vaughan should've played more and not been sold, who else do you aim the criticism at? 

It's the level of it. Shez and Curle didn't get as much grief for it and they had time to know him and plan how to use him.

It's a mans game and Vaughan is built like a child. He didn't boss the part time league he was sent to.

Hopefully he'll do well, he may just be another Carlos Roca however. 

He’s technically very good, he can look after the ball and got a good eye for a pass. Shame he’s built like a kid. It might not stop him in the long term, but the position and league we find ourselves in, it’s not a surprise he got such few minutes. We have been fighting relegation ever since he made his debut. 

53 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Indeed I mean it's not gone aswell as I wanted to either, but people seem to want to go from 0 to angry as quickly as possible. Now maybe this is because other problems at the club have gone away. We are not hearing about off the pitch shitstorms which has dominated the club for the previous 4 years and were a heavy feature of the 8 before that. Infact off the pitch we are more settled than we have been for over a decade. This has probably put far more focus on the on the pitch activities. However just because Mr Unsworth hasn't had to deal with the problems that other managers have it doesn't mean he's going to instantly be a success.

Personally I feel I've had enough of getting angry at the club I've done enough venting online the last 4 years to last a lifetime, my ignore list on here get bigger and bigger everyday. People are allowed their opinion obviously, I'm not saying I would be against sacking the manager. But some people are logging on everyday just to vent at the manager. David Unsworth is not in the same league as the Lemsagams or shitpeas or the boxing promoter interms of twattery, he's a human being and I believe his intentions are the right ones and he's trying his best for the club.

Personally I find it really funny how people come on a forum to complain about people complaining. 

We longed for the days where we could just moan about the football or the manager- Now we can, and some aren’t happy. .  😂

We’re football fans. 

We love a moan. 

We’re no different to any other fans of clubs who are struggling. 

If we all agreed it would be boring. 

And for the record - it IS all Unsworth’s fault. 😎

39 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Indeed I mean it's not gone aswell as I wanted to either, but people seem to want to go from 0 to angry as quickly as possible. Now maybe this is because other problems at the club have gone away. We are not hearing about off the pitch shitstorms which has dominated the club for the previous 4 years and were a heavy feature of the 8 before that. Infact off the pitch we are more settled than we have been for over a decade. This has probably put far more focus on the on the pitch activities. However just because Mr Unsworth hasn't had to deal with the problems that other managers have it doesn't mean he's going to instantly be a success.

Personally I feel I've had enough of getting angry at the club I've done enough venting online the last 4 years to last a lifetime, my ignore list on here get bigger and bigger everyday. People are allowed their opinion obviously, I'm not saying I would be against sacking the manager. But some people are logging on everyday just to vent at the manager. David Unsworth is not in the same league as the Lemsagams or shitpeas or the boxing promoter interms of twattery, he's a human being and I believe his intentions are the right ones and he's trying his best for the club.

More than a decade. Very conservative. Even during the glory years our owners were largely disinterested, apart from the number of pints they sold. We even had to sell our captain to pay for the REE, and it was/is a shell of a stand. No investment. Still, it did get worse after that, and worse, and, well....Now we actually have an owner who cares about the club's well-being. In 45 years, I've never experienced this before. So yes, if you're getting angry at the club then give your head a wobble. It's going to take a long time to repair the damage done by such a long period of neglect. 

1 minute ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

More than a decade. Very conservative. Even during the glory years our owners were largely disinterested, apart from the number of pints they sold. We even had to sell our captain to pay for the REE, and it was/is a shell of a stand. No investment. Still, it did get worse after that, and worse, and, well....Now we actually have an owner who cares about the club's well-being. In 45 years, I've never experienced this before. So yes, if you're getting angry at the club then give your head a wobble. It's going to take a long time to repair the damage done by such a long period of neglect. 

I was thinking about the time between 2004-09 where apart from a few rants in the press from Corney we were fairly stable as it seemed to all intents and purposes that Blitz Corney and Gazal were serious about the club but I agree with what you are saying we aren't looking over our shoulder like we have previously. I don't think anyone is having a go at the club (certainly not at Uncle Frank) as such it's just all the angst appears to be being thrown at Mr Unsworths door and I think its abit OTT in my opinion.

Just had a look to see what Halifax fans are thinking about Saturday.

As well as saying they don't think they'll bring many, and being upset about how negatively they set up at Notts County...

Apparently they tried to sign Josef Yarney yesterday and he turned them down.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not hailing him as the next Messi but it was as clear as night and day that he was one of the only players on the books who could look after the football, was always looking to a forward pass and he gave the crowd a buzz.

Out of interest-just how many times did you see this fella play?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

To me it's further proof of how poor a man manager Unsworth is 

Took the usual 2 paragraphs to get to what you always want or have to say.

Aah but at last a post where you didn't slag Cuoto.

6 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Out of interest-just how many times did you see this fella play?

Took the usual 2 paragraphs to get to what you always want or have to say.

Aah but at last a post where you didn't slag Cuoto.

At least I can spell his fucking name.... he's still shite by the way.

Archived