Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

the only shame about Stobbs is that we are still paying him

makes Joe Colbeck look like Rick Holden 

He's still the best crosser of the ball in the club. Would be ideal with our big lads up front. Can't be any worse than Tollett when the opposition have the ball.

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

He's still the best crosser of the ball in the club. Would be ideal with our big lads up front. Can't be any worse than Tollett when the opposition have the ball.

the fact all his crosses end up in the stand says a lot about our other crossers

he should never step foot on a football pitch again 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

the fact all his crosses end up in the stand says a lot about our other crossers

Well thanks for leaving us all in no doubt about Stobbs. Be par for the course though if he popped up at Rochdale next season (for instance) and scored a hat trick against us.

16 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

He was crossing to the Bahambula and DKD. Different game with Nutall, Reid and Fondop. 

We need a winger, or full back, who can put in a good delivery consistently from out wide. Couto is the only other one who might have that in his game.

58 minutes ago, Shrek said:

He was crossing to the Bahambula and DKD. Different game with Nutall, Reid and Fondop. 

We need a winger, or full back, who can put in a good delivery consistently from out wide. Couto is the only other one who might have that in his game.

If the crosses end up in the stand I'm not sure who's in the middle is crucial

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If the crosses end up in the stand I'm not sure who's in the middle is crucial

They didn't all end up there. Just more over dramatisation. 

We definitely need someone with good delivery as we have the lads up front who'd thrive on it.

2 minutes ago, Shrek said:

They didn't all end up there. Just more over dramatisation. 

We definitely need someone with good delivery as we have the lads up front who'd thrive on it.

He had the ability to put over a decent cross, which he did do occasionally. Just not anywhere near often enough to make him effective. I don't think he's the answer.

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He had the ability to put over a decent cross, which he did do occasionally. Just not anywhere near often enough to make him effective. I don't think he's the answer.

He's probably not as his head seemed to have gone towards the end of last season (bit like J Clarke this season) but we aren't creating anything so we need someone who can deliver from out wide. Be that Stobbs, Couto or someone else.

At the moment we have little threat from wide and don't seem to have the right link up to create through the middle. We're playing 442 without anyone who is an out and out winger.

Tollet can't play wide right, Chapman won't provide much for Nutall etc, Rooney isn't a winger. Given our weakness on the right not sure why he has been dismissed so readily. We got this massive squad, why not use it? 

I'll just add this to show they didn't all end up in the Chaddy End.

13 minutes ago, Shrek said:

He's probably not as his head seemed to have gone towards the end of last season (bit like J Clarke this season) but we aren't creating anything so we need someone who can deliver from out wide. Be that Stobbs, Couto or someone else.

At the moment we have little threat from wide and don't seem to have the right link up to create through the middle. We're playing 442 without anyone who is an out and out winger.

Tollet can't play wide right, Chapman won't provide much for Nutall etc, Rooney isn't a winger. Given our weakness on the right not sure why he has been dismissed so readily. We got this massive squad, why not use it? 

Maybe the answer is to not play 442? That would be my answer anyway!

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Maybe the answer is to not play 442? That would be my answer anyway!

I think that's what he'll do as he didn't want to play it early on.

Tollet Nutall Reid

Shilton Rooney Sheron

That could be a solution but I still worry we won't have enough quality delivery. On shite pitches you at times need to cross it rather than dribble / slot it through 

3 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I think that's what he'll do as he didn't want to play it early on.

Tollet Nutall Reid

Shilton Rooney Sheron

That could be a solution but I still worry we won't have enough quality delivery. On shite pitches you at times need to cross it rather than dribble / slot it through 

That would be my pick. Wide delivery would then come from attacking full backs or the central players getting into wide positions. 

So I think we still need a Kitching equivalent on the right. I like Will Sutton as a defender and it's great that he's in the team and playing a part in the good results, but I don't think he offers enough threat going forward to be the long term solution on the right.

27 minutes ago, Shrek said:

One game - nice one

got “highlights” of his other 39 appearances by any chance?

29 minutes ago, Shrek said:

The fact one cross against Mansfield stands out so much illustrates how rare a decent cross from him was. A very poor player, and him getting a new deal is more evidence that Sheridan was losing the plot...

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Yarney would do well at right back with Sutton moved to cente back, but doubt if DU will change anything at the moment.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

One game - nice one

got “highlights” of his other 39 appearances by any chance?

The suggestion was all his crosses were shite. Clearly not.

Google / YouTube is a great resource if you're interested in checking things out before posting.

Knocking balls into the box for DKD and Bahambula is a far trickier job than it is for Fondop and Nutall. 

Stobbs or someone else, it's a weapon we need to use more.

1 minute ago, Shrek said:

The suggestion was all his crosses were shite. Clearly not.

Google / YouTube is a great resource if you're interested in checking things out before posting.

Knocking balls into the box for DKD and Bahambula is a far trickier job than it is for Fondop and Nutall. 

Stobbs or someone else, it's a weapon we need to use more.

It's not really, you just need to knock it in low and hard instead of lofting it to a Duncan Ferguson who's stood on Tony Hatleley's shoulders.

Stobbs could hit a decent cross in.......just not consistently.

7 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's not really, you just need to knock it in low and hard instead of lofting it to a Duncan Ferguson who's stood on Tony Hatleley's shoulders.

Stobbs could hit a decent cross in.......just not consistently.

I meant because DKD and Bahambula are both weak in the air and not centre forwards.

Luke Beckett wasn't big but deadly in the box.

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

That fact you would play Stobbs over Tollitt tells me you are clueless Pete. 

Correct although I feel Tollitt struggles position wise in the teams that Unsworth puts out, you'd almost have to give him a free role but I'm not sure he deserves that, it's a tough one given his eye for goal and he does play very well in spells particularly running at teams.

4 hours ago, Shrek said:

Interestingly the only Stobbs cross shown was the corner, a set piece.  The second half lowlights show plenty of evidence of Stobbs running about on the edge of the chasing shadows including before one of the goals. 
These highlights don’t help to prove Stobbs is worth a place in our squad. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

That fact you would play Stobbs over Tollitt tells me you are clueless Pete. 

No idea who Pete is.

Tollitt does not have the ability to cross the ball and has been very poor for a month or two now. He doesn't suit 442 as he's as weak as a kitten.

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Interestingly the only Stobbs cross shown was the corner, a set piece.  The second half lowlights show plenty of evidence of Stobbs running about on the edge of the chasing shadows including before one of the goals. 
These highlights don’t help to prove Stobbs is worth a place in our squad. 

He's not the answer but he does have an attribute we could use. He's more use right wing than Chapman for example. He wants to two dogs in centre mid. The wide men need to create the chances. Rooney coming in from the left, Toillet isn't contributing much when out right. Maybe the new lad is here to start. 

Archived