Signing & Player Rumours

17 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Ok….. but I haven’t heard anyone criticising the club for recruitment to feel the need to defend the club….. whereas people have oft attacked Unsworth alone for signing players on long contracts that have not made enough of a difference.

I understand why you would defend Unsworth, because it’s a salient point to make- cut him some slack because he doesn’t have the final say on signings. 

There is nothing to defend about the club I agree, what I’m saying is- 

When Unsworth loses - you will highlight the clubs recruitment process. 

When Unsworth wins- he gets all the praise, and the club recruitment isn’t given any praise. 

It’s akin to saying. 

When he loses- the recruitment process could be an issue. 

But 

When he wins- the recruitment isn’t mentioned and it’s all down to him. 

31 minutes ago, BPAS said:

When we interviewed Darren and he explained how recruitment now worked, I thought we were & all the listeners would be extremely positive about it.

As long as everyone involved gets praise and criticism in equal measure then no problem. . . 

37 minutes ago, BPAS said:

My defending of Unsworth has been focussed on the fact that I felt it would take longer than the time he’d had to make a discernible difference, given that we could only sign players that were unwanted by their clubs and the summer would see more and better players become available.

I wanted him gone on Boxing Day. They have stuck with him, and he has turned it round. You were right to want to stick him for the foreseeable- which on Boxing Day was a big call to make. 👍🏻

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked a Sheffield United supporting friend about Zak Brunt, who was Boreham Wood's stand out player and is on loan from Sheffield. His information was that he had fallen down the pecking order at Bramall Lane and that he used to get in the League Cup team but hadn't yet managed a loan to a league club.

He is a Chesterfield lad, so relatively local to us

1 hour ago, Dickie Down said:

I asked a Sheffield United supporting friend about Zak Brunt, who was Boreham Wood's stand out player and is on loan from Sheffield. His information was that he had fallen down the pecking order at Bramall Lane and that he used to get in the League Cup team but hadn't yet managed a loan to a league club.

He is a Chesterfield lad, so relatively local to us

Surprised Chesterfield didn't make a move for him when they had the chance.

Anyway I've submitted an official recommendation so we will see if anything happens.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Anyway I've submitted an official recommendation so we will see if anything happens.

This is something I'd like to understand.  My perception was that the scouting process involves seeing players over a number of matches too see how they cope with different circumstances, opposition, conditions, tactics etc.  Because we can all think of players that we saw once and thought were world beaters but turned out not to be, and vice versa.  Or is it that we just see someone who looks decent and recommend them for more scrutiny?

I particularly ask because, surely, if a recommendation comes from someone watching the game as a fan that must carry a lot less weight than someone actually tasked with scouting as the latter will focus on the individual rather than just noticing him doing whatever he does during the game

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

This is something I'd like to understand.  My perception was that the scouting process involves seeing players over a number of matches too see how they cope with different circumstances, opposition, conditions, tactics etc.  Because we can all think of players that we saw once and thought were world beaters but turned out not to be, and vice versa.  Or is it that we just see someone who looks decent and recommend them for more scrutiny?

I particularly ask because, surely, if a recommendation comes from someone watching the game as a fan that must carry a lot less weight than someone actually tasked with scouting as the latter will focus on the individual rather than just noticing him doing whatever he does during the game

Usually scouts recommendations are followed up by others at the club, sometimes they are asked to follow up on players themselves and report back. 

We may be able to only see some players once so have to make a snap judgement on that occasion. I compare those I've watched with players I've recommended who have made it to a higher grade, for example James  Berry of Macclesfield impressed me more than a player signed on my  recommendation who went on to play in the top flight. Unfortunately Berry is out with a long term injury at the moment so hope it's not serious. I've seen thousands of players over the years so I get a general feeling if a player is worth recommending or not.

The most frustrating thing for a scout is seeing a player they know is special sign for another club as happened to me with Chris Waddle.

As for fans judging a player for the first time, I think most wouldn't need a second look at Messi. Many players I've followed up on are those mentioned by fans, after all they see the players week in week out (like the one in North Wales I've endorsed who was exactly how described).

However, even the best managers and scouts can get it wrong, it's not an exact science.

I did like the look of Brunt, same with another loanee Apter when at Scunthorpe. It will be interesting to see what happens to them.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Do you need to see an official recommendation when he literally played at Boundary Park at the weekend...?

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Do you need to see an official recommendation when he literally played at Boundary Park at the weekend...?

Yes, I found in my experience managers and coaches are so wrapped up in their own teams tactics and formation they don't concentrate on opposing players. 

I don't just watch Latics when at BP I watch both teams, through habit I guess.

11 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Anyone who'd been to every home game for 6 seasons or so will have seen thousands of players.

But only with eyes on one team.

If you think you can do a good job why haven't you tried scouting instead  of trying to score points  over those who have?

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There were a couple of players in the Woking team who impressed me - in particular Kyran Lofthouse and also Solomon Nwabuokei (on loan from Barrow).

We had the option to sign Nwabuokei on loan when Sheri was here. He said nope and opted for super Oscar Threkeld...

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

But only with eyes on one team.

If you think you can do a good job why haven't you tried scouting instead  of trying to score points  over those who have?

Like you I've never been good at handling rejection

Probably needs a thread of its own. But say we get promoted at some point. Frank has talked about top end of league one, championship. Any idea if he can fund it himself? Or a long term plan to bring in other investors? I know it’s been mentioned. We appear reasonably wealthy in non league, will that continue. 

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Probably needs a thread of its own. But say we get promoted at some point. Frank has talked about top end of league one, championship. Any idea if he can fund it himself? Or a long term plan to bring in other investors? I know it’s been mentioned. We appear reasonably wealthy in non league, will that continue. 

It’s well documented that they are looking for investment at some point. It’s also on record that they could only afford us due to our relegation to non league, so that says Frank and co have a ceiling on how far they can take the project without further investment. 

But, any investor isn’t going to pump money into the club without some form of control or guarantee in return, so that comes with its own risks and uncertainty. 

18 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Does that mean they are watching him or not?

Yes, ideally permanent next season, but may depend on a fee and terms.

I'd say an upgrade on Matty Palmer if you can imagine that.

Archived