Expectation

22 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

maynard? nobody said he was good did they? best l saw was somebody on here who said sumat like he heads it into space then kicks it straight up in the air.

potentially useful in some games but woefully exposed against a championship striker

Someone may have said he was good. Someone has said McGahey is the fastest player at the club. People say strange things

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

maynard? nobody said he was good did they? best l saw was somebody on here who said sumat like he heads it into space then kicks it straight up in the air.

potentially useful in some games but woefully exposed against a championship striker

That was me. Accepted I was wrong after Maidenhead as I thought he looked alright. He’s proved me right since, he’s a donkey. 

8 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

That was me. Accepted I was wrong after Maidenhead as I thought he looked alright. He’s proved me right since, he’s a donkey. 

We should ask why so many players many thought of as ok for this level have looked poor.

For me they don't look happy with the jobs they are asked to do.

I asked several members of my family if they are going to the Barnet match on Saturday match and they said no.

If this is replicated we could well see a big drop in attendance and this would be down IMO to disillusionment setting in with expectations of a decent team performances virtually nil.

Frank, Joe and Darren have seen it for themselves and surely must realise only investment in better players, not journeyman or kid loanees is the answer to getting the feel good factor back.

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Typical expected sarcastic reply.

Good lord you are touchy.  It's a perfectly reasonable question and not remotely sarcastic.  The majority of the players were recruited under a different manager and before the current owners took charge.  Who would you ask? 

For someone who, when misinterpreted, says a comment was tongue in cheek (reasonable) you are very quick to take offence.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I asked several members of my family if they are going to the Barnet match on Saturday match and they said no.

If this is replicated we could well see a big drop in attendance and this would be down IMO to disillusionment setting in with expectations of a decent team performances virtually nil.

Frank, Joe and Darren have seen it for themselves and surely must realise only investment in better players, not journeyman or kid loanees is the answer to getting the feel good factor back.

Question BP - Would you trust Unsworth to recruit the players if the board decided they were going to give him a reasonable transfer budget to work with over the next few months? So far he's brought in Carty (loan) Abraham (loan) Rooney and Kitching. I think that's it so it's a small sample given Carty has had very few minutes and Abraham and Kitching have only played 2 and half games between them. Given they had assembled an expensive backroom staff do they follow it over a cliff by backing him in the transfer market or would you/they be wary given they may have to cut their losses in a months time if results haven't picked up. If I was them, i'd want to see some improvement with what he's got before allowing him to spend. It's a catch 22 really.

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Me and two others not going currently. Still recovering from Maidenhead, Bromley, Altrincham which was the final straw for us. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Good lord you are touchy.  It's a perfectly reasonable question and not remotely sarcastic.  The majority of the players were recruited under a different manager and before the current owners took charge.  Who would you ask? 

For someone who, when misinterpreted, says a comment was tongue in cheek (reasonable) you are very quick to take offence.

You are persistent in your picking on my  posts without offering any opinion of your own on playing matters. You appear to prefer this so as not to attract criticism yourself.

I give my opinion as I see it whether it  attracts grammar police alerts or not.

6 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Question BP - Would you trust Unsworth to recruit the players if the board decided they were going to give him a reasonable transfer budget to work with over the next few months? So far he's brought in Carty (loan) Abraham (loan) Rooney and Kitching. I think that's it so it's a small sample given Carty has had very few minutes and Abraham and Kitching have only played 2 and half games between them. Given they had assembled an expensive backroom staff do they follow it over a cliff by backing him in the transfer market or would you/they be wary given they may have to cut their losses in a months time if results haven't picked up. If I was them, i'd want to see some improvement with what he's got before allowing him to spend. It's a catch 22 really.

Well he saw Houghton of Fylde take Gillingham apart last Saturday so lets see if a bid is put in.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are persistent in your picking on my  posts without offering any opinion of your own on playing matters. You appear to prefer this so as not to attract criticism yourself.

I give my opinion as I see it whether it  attracts grammar police alerts or not.

Who has called in the grammar police?  I don't offer many specific opinions on playing matters because I don't see as many games as most on here - seems logical to me.

This was your question:

We should ask why so many players many thought of as ok for this level have looked poor.

As the people responsible for most of that recruitment are no longer at the club it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask who should be the recipients of the question.

53 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

So it isn’t Unsworth’s fault then after all! 😂

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who has called in the grammar police?  I don't offer many specific opinions on playing matters because I don't see as many games as most on here - seems logical to me.

This was your question:

As the people responsible for most of that recruitment are no longer at the club it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask who should be the recipients of the question.

'We' are the fans and the board should be made aware of our feelings. I'm sure some read this forum even if they wouldn't admit it.

Fans will vote with their feet soon, maybe then they will get the message.

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

So it isn’t Unsworth’s fault then after all! 😂

Never said it was, he was dealt a bad hand but he hasnt helped with his turgid tactics and recruiting players he doesn't even start.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Never said it was, he was dealt a bad hand but he hasnt helped with his turgid tactics and recruiting players he doesn't even start.

You keep banging on about this but why does a player recruited get an automatic start?, they may have been brought in as a squad player or an impact sub, it's not 1983 when first team squads consisted of 12 men, most PL teams have about £100 million of talent on the bench, it really isn't that simple anymore. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Safe to say Unsworth has divided the fan base fairly quickly. 

Opinions are like arseholes so they say....

Hopefully there is a plan in place and he will be backed, probably be a good time for the Cheif Executive to come out to try and calm some nerves, they need to unequivocally back the manager now before this Unsworth out campaign builds any momentum, changing managers now would just make us look stupid.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

'We' are the fans and the board should be made aware of our feelings. I'm sure some read this forum even if they wouldn't admit it.

Fans will vote with their feet soon, maybe then they will get the message.

So we will ask the board.  They will say they were recruited by a different regime and they are trying to recruit better.  Surely we all get that it isn't possible, unless we are paying Wrexham style money, to just go out and get who we want?

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You keep banging on about this but why does a player recruited get an automatic start?, they may have been brought in as a squad player or an impact sub, it's not 1983 when first team squads consisted of 12 men, most PL teams have about £100 million of talent on the bench, it really isn't that simple anymore. 

If players iike Carty don't start after being praised to the high hills by the manager as just what he needs what's the point of recruiting them. The aim is to improve the team isn't it?

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If players iike Carty don't start after being praised to the high hills by the manager as just what he needs what's the point of recruiting them. The aim is to improve the team isn't it?

I agree.  The only players we should be recruiting are those which are ready to pretty much go straight into the first team

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes which may mean bringing a player in who can come on for Fondop for the last 20 or 30 minutes, if Carty starts with Fondop who do we bring on given Luamba has now been all but written off. I never saw an untried kid as the answer to all our prayers and said as much at the time, I'd expect Abraham to start but Carty despite his promise isn't in front of Fondop and Hope and is being used exactly as he should be.

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I agree.  The only players we should be recruiting are those which are ready to pretty much go straight into the first team

Maybe the likes of Abraham who has EFL experience has the confidence to go straight in, inexperienced  players like Carty probably need a few training sessions and perhaps need to be introduced more slowly?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We agree on that, apologies for my rants I'm as frustrated as many are by the poor team performances  and hope from Saturday we see a big improvement.

I have to say I've enjoyed watching teams like Kings Lynn and Fylde this season who play some very good exciting to watch football. That's what I want from Oldham Athletic. 

Archived