Expectation

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe the likes of Abraham who has EFL experience has the confidence to go straight in, inexperienced  players like Carty probably need a few training sessions and perhaps need to be introduced more slowly?

But Carty is only here for a month, so how can he be introduced slowly?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is recruitment is going to be much tougher than people think unless we are prepared to throw some money at it and I have a feeling Unsworth is just finding that out. As I pointed out last week, recruiting players from the league below might not be easy if they are part time and earning decent money in their day jobs. Recruiting from above is tough for obvious reasons and the only players prepared to drop out of the EFL are players on the way down, getting on a bit or players who come for the money (Mullins, Palmer). I think a lot of people are making something out of the Everton connection but are they really going to do us any favours just because it's Unsworth? Rumour has it they held out for a fee for Ebbrell so it suggests not and I highly doubt that any Premiership club are going to let their potential stars of the future go to the National league over a League 1 or 2 side. Also, you normally have to make a contribution of say 10% to their wage and a lot of those players will be earning between £10k and £20k a week. Would you rather spend £2k a week on an untried youngster on loan or pay it to a player that potentially could be an asset to the club. This is all about recruitment and without throwing a few quid at it we won't really improve.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I asked several members of my family if they are going to the Barnet match on Saturday match and they said no.

If this is replicated we could well see a big drop in attendance and this would be down IMO to disillusionment setting in with expectations of a decent team performances virtually nil.

Frank, Joe and Darren have seen it for themselves and surely must realise only investment in better players, not journeyman or kid loanees is the answer to getting the feel good factor back.

Sorry but isn't that what the manager is trying to do? 

Not the greatest plan stopping going is it...just at a time when we need more money to improve the team.

It's been obvious we need better players for ages, not just the 7 weeks Unsworth been in charge. The football was dire all last season with very few exceptions.

Signings HAVE to be right for the club so I'm Ok with showing a bit of caution and not being held to ransom by players wanting more than they are worth.

I'm also Ok with his signings so far.

Rooney should come good played in the right position with a stronger midfield around him, Kitching should be a big improvement on what we have, and Abraham Okagbue and Carragher were all good young loan signings.

Im still not sure exactly what more you think the manager could do with the players available to him? 

Please let us know....

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Barnet are at Altrincham tonight.

I would take the whole squad and coaching staff to watch our next opponents - might be better prepared for Saturday 😉

If only to watch them take apart Alty and have the stark realisation they've been seen off there very recently and come Saturday, they'd of already lost the game in their heads even before a balls been kicked.

Let's not deflate these jokers any further :bat:

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Correct it was Shez, but the point remains the same. It smacks of agents recommendations rather than scouting.

Tbh…Shez said he’d been chasing him for a while but like you say I don’t think  him or TW did any scouting!

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If only to watch them take apart Alty and have the stark realisation they've been seen off there very recently and come Saturday, they'd of already lost the game in their heads even before a balls been kicked.

Let's not deflate these jokers any further :bat:

DU might decide to drop many those who played at Altrincham. Who are any better is anyones guess though.

4 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Barnet will now be coming to town full of confidence after seeing off Alty.

Will we be up for the battle or will we just fall apart again?

Quote on twitter non league page Alty the better side on the night and deserved more Barnet just more clinical and put away thier chances and that will be the difference as we will gift them chances 

BP serious question do you think Haughton iis good enough ? He played 40 games over 4 seasons in League 1 . Then had 4 seasons in the National League. Its only when he dropped down to National League North level his stats and performances  have created some interest. Prior to this he looks to have been at best an average player. I havnt seen him play at all but I know you have maybe a few times what is your opinion of him ? And do you think he can make the step up one level this time and maybe up another level to League 1.

3 hours ago, penrhyn said:

BP serious question do you think Haughton iis good enough ? He played 40 games over 4 seasons in League 1 . Then had 4 seasons in the National League. Its only when he dropped down to National League North level his stats and performances  have created some interest. Prior to this he looks to have been at best an average player. I havnt seen him play at all but I know you have maybe a few times what is your opinion of him ? And do you think he can make the step up one level this time and maybe up another level to League 1.

He's at his peak now, a clever attack minded  player who not only creates goals, but scores them.

His set plays are exceptional.

My concern is if he came here he'd be converted to an unsuccessful central midfielder like appears to have happened with Rooney.

3 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Look at Paul Mullins profile, before he went to Cambridge nobody wanted him a scouser who scored a dozen goals in two seasons with Tranmere they gave him away, he hit form in his mid twenties which is common with many players and could be the case with Haughton.

Anyone who attended the Fylde friendly could see Haughton was head and shoulders above anyone we had on the pitch that day, signing him if it were ever possible seemed an absolute no brainer given he would slot in to our midfield and he exactly what we've been missing, we ended up with Rooney (nearest comparison) who let's face hasn't even got going yet, has he even made an assist never mind scored a goal?.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Look at Paul Mullins profile, before he went to Cambridge nobody wanted him a scouser who scored a dozen goals in two seasons with Tranmere they gave him away, he hit form in his mid twenties which is common with many players and could be the case with Haughton.

Anyone who attended the Fylde friendly could see Haughton was head and shoulders above anyone we had on the pitch that day, signing him if it were ever possible seemed an absolute no brainer given he would slot in to our midfield and he exactly what we've been missing, we ended up with Rooney (nearest comparison) who let's face hasn't even got going yet, has he even made an assist never mind scored a goal?.

Agreed, I've seen many promising young lads fall down the ladder and mature players rise to the top.

Any manager will tell you they always want better than what they have got, no matter what the age - and Haughton definitely falls into that category.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Anyone who attended the Fylde friendly could see Haughton was head and shoulders above anyone we had on the pitch that day, signing him if it were ever possible seemed an absolute no brainer given he would slot in to our midfield and he exactly what we've been missing, we ended up with Rooney (nearest comparison) who let's face hasn't even got going yet, has he even made an assist never mind scored a 

Archived