Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep, but it appears we don’t have a budget anymore. I find it staggering after what Frank paid for the club initially, that the family are so giving. 

Just look at the squad now, and there are hardly any players signed on the cheap, or as developers. Most were either sought after in this league or come from higher, or are legacy players on EFL money.  MM has now been allowed 3-5 signings without anyone leaving. .  . Now I’ll never turn down new signings, but I’d totally understand/accept slow build over boom and bust. 

I share the same view but it seems a decision has been made to give it a good go this year with the fallback being we will be well placed for next season or and I have heard rumblings of this, we have brought investors onboard with a view to them providing a cash injection, revenue is probably as high as it's been for many years and that will only continue to grow if we can get it right on the pitch so there's probably more money flying around than anticipated.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I share the same view but it seems a decision has been made to give it a good go this year with the fallback being we will be well placed for next season or and I have heard rumblings of this, we have brought investors onboard with a view to them providing a cash injection, revenue is probably as high as it's been for many years and that will only continue to grow if we can get it right on the pitch so there's probably more money flying around than anticipated.

sea change goin down in your bonce and l like it 😎

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yeah, fair enough. 

I do remember Frank/DR saying when they came in that they would be looking for outside investors in time, so could be some credence to that. 

Just now, Monty Burns said:

sea change goin down in your bonce and l like it 😎

Yes my theory that we were skint and that's it for the season has been blown out of the water, I'm a lot more positive than I was a week or two ago and im happy to eat my humble pie if they manage to get these latest signings over the line.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Anyone worried about what we’re spending, feels like we’re pushing a little too hard. It’s easy to get carried away in football. Hope they are sticking to the planned budget.

One eye on next season I think. We need out of this division ASAP so I don’t think it would be a stretch to suggest funds have been freed up that were planned for next season to give us every chance. If it’s not successful then it’s a head start on next term. Possibly over budget with the idea that the outgoings before the start of next season will even out the wage bill

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Why, its no your money?

Because it's a dangerous game, I was at Macclesfield yesterday and there is a bit of a feel good factor around them at the minute, crowd of 4000 in tier 7 is impressive as were the facilities but their new owner is in for about £5 million so far which is scary.

12 minutes ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Why, its no your money?

Because I’ve seen it before with Chris Moore. Also it’s ok getting ahead start for next season. But the parachute payments are gone next year so a black hole has to be plugged. I’m not comparing them to Moore by the way. 

50 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Anyone worried about what we’re spending, feels like we’re pushing a little too hard. It’s easy to get carried away in football. Hope they are sticking to the planned budget.

Imagine having this conversation 7 years ago or so. 🤣

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Not worried. I’m basing that on their long standing ties to the town and decades of successful business experience. Plus the plans in place for investment in the facilities and land. 

My guess is that they wanted us up in 3 years max and have allotted an amount to that. Now we have Mellon in charge they’re spending now to try and go up this season but planning that if we don’t, we will be well placed to hit the ground running to go for automatic next season. And therefore possibly not expecting to spend a load again in the summer as the core of the 1st team will be in place. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes my theory that we were skint and that's it for the season has been blown out of the water, I'm a lot more positive than I was a week or two ago and im happy to eat my humble pie if they manage to get these latest signings over the line.

mint love it massive kudos Brother 👍🏻

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

Because I’ve seen it before with Chris Moore. Also it’s ok getting ahead start for next season. But the parachute payments are gone next year so a black hole has to be plugged. I’m not comparing them to Moore by the way. 

you have tho really

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Probably spending a little of next year’s budget in order to give us the best chance of promotion. If this team manages it a year of consolidation could follow but the team will be much stronger and more than capable of competing in League 2.

This is where I'm at on it. MM still being here is a safe bet. He's got us into the playoffs from a mid-table position from being 7 points adrift and in that time assessed who is and isn't good enough. Certainly good enough foundations for the board to approve signings taken from next season's budget. 

9 hours ago, latics22 said:

Nowt wrong with being wary, given the false dawns we've seen in the past...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nowt wrong with being wary, given the false dawns we've seen in the past...

This seems different.

The imaginary corner that we have apparently turned so many times over the last 10 years or so is quite palpable.

Edited by L1onheartNew

43 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

This is where I'm at on it. MM still being here is a safe bet. He's got us into the playoffs from a mid-table position from being 7 points adrift and in that time assessed who is and isn't good enough. Certainly good enough foundations for the board to approve signings taken from next season's budget. 

aye. lookin like six poss seven new guys during january, all lookin decent. well excited me

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

This seems different.

The imaginary corner that we have apparently turned so many times over the last 10 years or so is quite palpable.

Hmmm...I remember thinking that when we qualified for the play-offs under Dowie and when we beat Grimsby 6-0 in front of a full house at Boundary Park.

Not saying it will turn out like this, like but nothing should ever be beyond question..

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Hmmm...I remember thinking that when we qualified for the play-offs under Dowie and when we beat Grimsby 6-0 in front of a full house at Boundary Park.

Not saying it will turn out like this, like but nothing should ever be beyond question..

Exactly that. 

Plus - fans never question in the good times. Why would you. . . 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Exactly that. 

Plus - fans never question in the good times. Why would you. . . 

I questioned David Currie.

Literally. In the players lounge.

How the hell did you miss that?

• Like 1

Frank and his family love the town of Oldham. We couldn’t ask for more involved and connected owners to the town in general. 

More than understandable that people are being cautious. But this isn’t a football agent from Morocco, playing footy manager with his brother, we are talking about. He loves the town, he would not do anything knowingly to the detriment of the club and the town. 

• Like 1