Southend

On 8/23/2023 at 4:40 PM, Monty Burns said:

daft if theyre gettin taken over

Rules are rules though. They have failed to meet their obligations to HMRC (multiple times), paid staff late (or not at all) multiple times, failed to publish accounts until threatened with expulsion, and generally played fast and loose with a regulatory framework that their competitors more or less abide by. 

If you think that should be swept under the carpet because there MIGHT be a takeover, then I think you are both wrong (in principle) and putting inordinate faith in a man who does not deserve it, to be honest. 

I feel for their fans, who have had a rotten time of it. But you have to stamp down hard on this kind of ownership. The fact that this HASN'T been happening is a significant part of why the game is such a whited sepulchre.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Rules are rules though. They have failed to meet their obligations to HMRC (multiple times), paid staff late (or not at all) multiple times, failed to publish accounts until threatened with expulsion, and generally played fast and loose with a regulatory framework that their competitors more or less abide by. 

If you think that should be swept under the carpet because there MIGHT be a takeover, then I think you are both wrong (in principle) and putting inordinate faith in a man who does not deserve it, to be honest. 

I feel for their fans, who have had a rotten time of it. But you have to stamp down hard on this kind of ownership. The fact that this HASN'T been happening is a significant part of why the game is such a whited sepulchre.

IF the punishment punished the deserved l could agree with you. it doesn't tho and its suprising my stance on such unfairness can get you to use capital letters.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Hmm. Unknown members of a consortium...

The consortium is widely thought locally to be Kimura, an international investment trading company based in London and fronted by a couple of Southenders. They were the front runners to buy the club initially but pulled out stating they'd be looking to join forces with another bidder for the club.

HMRC now paid off. Winding up order dismissed in court this morning. Not out of the woods by a long shot but we're getting rid of that **** Ron Martin. Scenes at Roots Hall last night with the news of new owners and beating Oxford were phenomenal.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23832088.southend-united-boss-kevin-maher-excited-clubs-future/

"And Maher was left in awe by the noise generated by fans after the final whistle. “It was unbelievable and we could have stayed there all night listening to them to be fair,” said Maher." "

I watched us at Rochdale over the weekend (2-2) and despite the miracles Kevin Maher and the team are pulling on the pitch the result was dampened by the court case and I was thinking that could be my last game in colours. Horrible gut wrenching feeling.

Now there's alot of hope, and for a while last night we'd climbed out of the relegation zone too until Maidenhead's equaliser . . . so thanks for that 😋.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

The consortium is widely thought locally to be Kimura, an international investment trading company based in London and fronted by a couple of Southenders. They were the front runners to buy the club initially but pulled out stating they'd be looking to join forces with another bidder for the club.

HMRC now paid off. Winding up order dismissed in court this morning. Not out of the woods by a long shot but we're getting rid of that **** Ron Martin. Scenes at Roots Hall last night with the news of new owners and beating Oxford were phenomenal.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23832088.southend-united-boss-kevin-maher-excited-clubs-future/

"And Maher was left in awe by the noise generated by fans after the final whistle. “It was unbelievable and we could have stayed there all night listening to them to be fair,” said Maher." "

I watched us at Rochdale over the weekend (2-2) and despite the miracles Kevin Maher and the team are pulling on the pitch the result was dampened by the court case and I was thinking that could be my last game in colours. Horrible gut wrenching feeling.

Now there's alot of hope, and for a while last night we'd climbed out of the relegation zone too until Maidenhead's equaliser . . . so thanks for that 😋.  

Some positive news for you hopefully 🤞 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Good luck.  Is Ray Winstone involved in Kimura?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Good luck.  Is Ray Winstone involved in Kimura?

Thanks.

Ray Winstone has business links with Kimura through a sports agency, and from the article below there were talks about him joining our board of directors should Kimura buy the club. Given those links he can't be part of a board in any football club.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23635720.ray-winstone-rules-director-southend-united/

2 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Thanks.

Ray Winstone has business links with Kimura through a sports agency, and from the article below there were talks about him joining our board of directors should Kimura buy the club. Given those links he can't be part of a board in any football club.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23635720.ray-winstone-rules-director-southend-united/

Our last owner was an agent....

On 10/4/2023 at 12:42 PM, Glossop Shrimper said:

It's great news isn't it. Not for us, clearly, because if you don't manage to get up this season you'll have a great foundation to go hard at it next year. I feel you've a head start on us, only in that you've a pretty solid core of players and a manager who I'd love us to have. Has the club at heart and a playing style that's really attractive.

It's hard to describe that overwhelming feeling we had when the news broke of Abdallah being bought out along with Blitz to bring it all together. If I could bottle it, and sell it as an intrevenous drug then I'd be a hopeless junkie to it.

Good luck for the future. But selfishly I hope you follow us up out of the division.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 12:26 PM, Steve_R said:

It was first done many years ago when Hull fans were trying to get rid of David Lloyd, the former tennis player who owned them and was running them into the ground. For them it was a catchy gimmick, but has been done many times since by protesting fans with no relevance to tennis.Always grabs the media’s attention though.

Let's hope no club gets taken over by a former snooker player - and then gets in the mire 😺

• 2 weeks later...