MATCH: Ebbsfleet United (H) 25/11/23

On 11/30/2023 at 10:39 AM, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

That would be why Harry Vaughan got binned then. Ironic, given how Mr Rhino was brought in to build up a system / platform for the club to grow, yet we ended up with (a) crap football and (b) no chance for our own youth product in the team. The dream (nightmare) combo. 

Binned or sold to a club 3 divisions higher

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, yarddog73 said:

Having chewed the fat over the Ebbsfleet debacle I'm now of the opinion that there may be contributing factors that could have have led to us under performing.

I still think we lack character when the chips are down but there may be reason to forgive on this occasion, firstly our squad lacks any depth so when someone isn't on it they invariably have to stay on the pitch as there is no replacement, freshening it up after Saturday/Wednesday must have crossed Mellon's mind but who could he have brought in to that front six without on the face of it weakening us, secondly I dont think we should underestimate what that Capital double header took out of the players not just mentally but physically, it's probably not a coincidence that these games we've over performed in Barnet and Rochdale have been quickly preceded by probably two of our worst performances in living memory, again that is just down to character in my opinion and players having the strength of mind to go again - regardless of the opposition.  What time did the get back Thursday morning?, probably early hours which gave limited time to prepare and get ready to go again, is it any wonder the likes of McGahey, Gardner and Lundstrum looked leggy, even Sheron whose as fit as anyone looked like he was running through treacle for the last half hour. A 48 hour turnaround may just have been a step too far.

All it does for me is show the strength of the division now and there aren't any gimmes anymore. Add to that these teams literally come here up for it like it's a cup match and raise their games accordingly. 

I know I piled in to them on here post match but I'm hoping they've learned from it, it was disappointing as a win would have put us 9 points off second having been 15 the week before but we still picked up some valuable points keeping us in touch with the playoff contenders.

I don't think that will happen again now, we have an okay run of fixtures now, FA Trophy weekend and a number of free Tuesdays which will allow the management team as well as the players to go again, hopefully we'll get the bounce on Saturday and get back to winning ways at BP which for me is as important as anything.

LOVE. THIS.

• Matt unfeatured this topic