MATCH: Ebbsfleet United (H) 25/11/23

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

Nowt like a bit of gross exaggeration. 

We were abject against Flyde- then went four unbeaten. 

Let’s see what the next few games bring. 

MM wasn’t happy….I reckon there’ll be movement in and out pretty damn quick now!

• Like 1

Midfield problems rear its ugly head, yet again.

It was the same team that performed so well on Tuesday, but we had a tough spine which Barnet couldn't get through. We conceded space on the wings to pack midfield, however this time we conceded swathes of space in the centre of the park which was just criminal to me. We were prone to it regularly last season and this was as close to those kind of performances. They bossed midfield, and we didn't. It meant they had time, space and runners to pick out those precise slide-rule balls which opened us up, time and time again. Fair play to them, they took ten minutes to suss us out and executed their gameplan.

Most disappointing for me wasn't actually that. It was our performance when we got back to 1-1 and the crowd lifted. Good teams seize on those opportunities, go on to win but we pathetically folded. MM knows he has to bring in 2-3 midfielders and wide men to get a grip on this. McGahey, whilst has impressed since returning, showed he's too slow. I'd prefer him in the front of the back four, organising and closing those pockets. Let Lundstram and Sheron press higher up. Next match is Boreham Wood and they DO bully you in the middle of the park.

If I see another opposition player take the ball in their own half and glide unchallenged into our penalty area again I think I'll spontaniously combust.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Here's my formula for getting the team winning their home games:

Rip out all the seats in the Chaddy End and reintroduce terracing. Make admission cheap for home fans - no more than £5, payable at the turnstile, no tickets nonsense - this should generate a decent atmosphere. Rebuild the pitch, reintroducing the 6ft slope towards the Chaddy End. In the past, whenever we had a half-decent side, we'd bury the opposition when playing down the slope in the second half at least 80% of the time.

I'm only half kidding, folks.

😄 👍

I'm not getting too excited or upset about the defeat. I don't think there's much between teams in this division and @nzlatic has highlighted a couple of other occasions where we've disappointed after a big result - we get up for the big games and perhaps underestimate opposition lower down the league.

Add in that we played Barnet away on Wednesday rather than Tuesday. Players will have got home in the early hours of Thursday morning so Thursday would have been a write off. Where there isn't much between teams that sort of thing can make a big difference, not surprising if our lot looked leggy after two big away performances.

December looks like a big month, aren't they all? Four home games out of six, no midweek fixtures until the end of the month. This month could see us really make a move on the play offs, no excuses for inconsistency.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I'm not getting too excited or upset about the defeat. I don't think there's much between teams in this division and @nzlatic has highlighted a couple of other occasions where we've disappointed after a big result - we get up for the big games and perhaps underestimate opposition lower down the league.

Add in that we played Barnet away on Wednesday rather than Tuesday. Players will have got home in the early hours of Thursday morning so Thursday would have been a write off. Where there isn't much between teams that sort of thing can make a big difference, not surprising if our lot looked leggy after two big away performances.

December looks like a big month, aren't they all? Four home games out of six, no midweek fixtures until the end of the month. This month could see us really make a move on the play offs, no excuses for inconsistency.   

The point you raise about the disappointment following a good win highlights more than anything the problem we have. Like MM said in his interview, there will be days where we are “off it” but if we are then don’t lose. That’s where the mindset and mentality comes in. To be ready for all comers every game. Chesterfield do it, against the same opponents as us. They break them down and get around them. They find a way. I think a couple of new faces possibly people who MM has managed before might be a good idea. 

6 minutes ago, True Tic said:

The point you raise about the disappointment following a good win highlights more than anything the problem we have. Like MM said in his interview, there will be days where we are “off it” but if we are then don’t lose. That’s where the mindset and mentality comes in. To be ready for all comers every game. Chesterfield do it, against the same opponents as us. They break them down and get around them. They find a way. I think a couple of new faces possibly people who MM has managed before might be a good idea. 

Agreed, as others have also said we're a couple of "gun" players short of being dead certs for the play offs.

11 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Quite and with player's like Ollie Banks 🫣

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Doesn't that make it all the more frustrating though?

You say there isn't much between teams in this division, however bar Chesterfield our investment over the past 12 months and what we pay our squad is probably light years ahead of most, so we absolutely SHOULD be better than the likes of Ebbsfleet, and not roll over like we did.

Not blaming MM for any of this, but questions must be asked of Darrens judgement both on the Unsworth and co appointment, and the sanctioning of the signing players that can't do what we need them too and just are not up to it.

I've said earlier our squad is too old and slow and some pace and enthusiastic youth is urgently required.

Surely between the board and our manager some decent loans should be available. We are now a better bet than most for Prem/Championship clubs to give some of their young stars some valuable game time.

We need to utilise the loan system far better than we do in my view. Just don't get our reluctantly to do so....

31 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Doesn't that make it all the more frustrating though?

You say there isn't much between teams in this division, however bar Chesterfield our investment over the past 12 months and what we pay our squad is probably light years ahead of most, so we absolutely SHOULD be better than the likes of Ebbsfleet, and not roll over like we did.

Not blaming MM for any of this, but questions must be asked of Darrens judgement both on the Unsworth and co appointment, and the sanctioning of the signing players that can't do what we need them too and just are not up to it.

I've said earlier our squad is too old and slow and some pace and enthusiastic youth is urgently required.

Surely between the board and our manager some decent loans should be available. We are now a better bet than most for Prem/Championship clubs to give some of their young stars some valuable game time.

We need to utilise the loan system far better than we do in my view. Just don't get our reluctantly to do so....

I don't know who would be classed among the best football club owners in the history of the game, but I'm fairly certain each of them will have ballsed up a managerial appointment. And spent money on signings that haven't worked out.

If it continues to be a ongoing problem with managers and signings then I think it's probably fair to start judging, but for now, although it turned out to be a bad call bringing DU in I think it's way to early to start questioning judgement. 

12 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Midfield problems rear its ugly head, yet again.

It was the same team that performed so well on Tuesday, but we had a tough spine which Barnet couldn't get through. We conceded space on the wings to pack midfield, however this time we conceded swathes of space in the centre of the park which was just criminal to me. We were prone to it regularly last season and this was as close to those kind of performances. They bossed midfield, and we didn't. It meant they had time, space and runners to pick out those precise slide-rule balls which opened us up, time and time again. Fair play to them, they took ten minutes to suss us out and executed their gameplan.

Most disappointing for me wasn't actually that. It was our performance when we got back to 1-1 and the crowd lifted. Good teams seize on those opportunities, go on to win but we pathetically folded. MM knows he has to bring in 2-3 midfielders and wide men to get a grip on this. McGahey, whilst has impressed since returning, showed he's too slow. I'd prefer him in the front of the back four, organising and closing those pockets. Let Lundstram and Sheron press higher up. Next match is Boreham Wood and they DO bully you in the middle of the park.

If I see another opposition player take the ball in their own half and glide unchallenged into our penalty area again I think I'll spontaniously combust.

True, and we haven't even one attacking midfielder who can run through defences like the opposition always seem to have.

Green is quick, but spends most of his time covering for the full back these days.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:05 AM, Charles or Eddie said:

Which is the point I made after the Barnet game, yet you decided to try and take some higher ground on. Yet are now stating the same point of view? However, I'm not going to lower myself by saying you've made yourself look silly now :)

Oh dear 😆

Even by your standards, you've put up a remarkably asinine post there. Let's recap, shall we? Your "point" was to say "Barnet away in the Conference", clearly implying that it wasn't a win to get too excited about. We'd just comprehensively beaten the team 2nd in the table, on their own ground, but don't let that fact worry you, eh? And the "Conference" hasn't been the "Conference" for some time, but never mind. Disjointed pointed out to you it's the same division that we are in. In other words, your "point", other than a statement of the glaringly obvious, had no need whatsoever to demean what was an excellent win. Clutch at straws all you like by trying to equate your silly and negative, petty spoiler with my summary of what I describe above as a bad result against Ebbsfleet (which you clearly didn't notice/ignored).

Given the lamentable nature of many of your posts, I'm not sure you need to worry about lowering yourself - you can't get any lower 🤣

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Worth bearing in mind we had Ollie Banks when we were a league One club and he's now 5-6 years more experienced playing two divisions lower.

I forgot, he's playing for the league champions with the best player's and an excellent manager at this level.

Atleast Unsworth got something correct and he called it, may aswell hand em the trophy, for nobody's catching them now

5 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Previously we gave other teams kids the chance to learn at the expense of our own.

Not every loanee was a Palmer, or Surridge.

In principal I'd prefer developing our own and having fewer loans but I'd agree with have some serious holes so if we could get a couple in it would be worth it.

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I forgot, he's playing for the league champions with the best player's and an excellent manager at this level.

Atleast Unsworth got something correct and he called it, may aswell hand em the trophy, for nobody's catching them now

It'll take a spectacular bad run of form for them to implode from here, one would think. If anything, we can take inspiration from the way they've built the squad they have over 3-4 seasons.

I tuned in to a Chesterfield match a couple of seasons ago when we looked certain to drop. They played Halifax away (then managed by Pete Wild) about Easter time and it reminds me of us now, at this juncture. They had Danny Rowe who was a threat, but they were flimsy and surrendered fairly meekly. A completely different proposition to them now.

On 11/26/2023 at 9:01 AM, GlossopLatic said:

It's a very small sample size but in the 8 games (including the FA cup game against Newport) Mellon has taken charge our home and away form seems in contrast

Home P3 W0 D2 L1 

Away P5 W3 D0 L2

Right to raise it because it's gnawing at the back of the mind of many fans. Another interesting statistic (and also caveated with the small sample size) is that under Thompson/Redfearn we conceded 0.66 goals per game. Under MM we are conceding 2 goals per game. That's just over 3 times as many goals conceded, on average.

With regards to goals scored, on average, ST/NR come out at 1.83 and MM at 1.63 per game.

Edited by wiseowl
add in goals scored stats too
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

True, and we haven't even one attacking midfielder who can run through defences like the opposition always seem to have.

Green is quick, but spends most of his time covering for the full back these days.

We should get the youth team players and those on loan training with the first team

Home form used to be the factor that saved the Latics' bacon. If you look back to the mid-1970s, we had a pretty poor side that came very close to relegation from the old Div 2 in 1974/5 and 1975/6. The side was so poor in the last two or three months of 75/76 that they only won one of their final 16 fixtures. We failed to win a single away game in the former season, and lost 15 away matches out of 21 in the latter season, but only lost four times at home in 74/5 and twice at home in 75/76. 

Such a contrast to the last 30 years (250+ defeats at home in league and cup games).

This is a massive issue, and has been for many years. Never properly analyzed and I don't think any of the conventional explanations really get to the bottom of it. Most people here know what I think, so I won't elaborate further, just to say that I think that statistics such as these are absolutely staggering, and should not be dismissed.