MATCH: Ebbsfleet United (H) 25/11/23

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Right to raise it because it's gnawing at the back of the mind of many fans. Another interesting statistic (and also caveated with the small sample size) is that under Thompson/Redfearn we conceded 0.66 goals per game. Under MM we are conceding 2 goals per game. That's just over 3 times as many goals conceded, on average.

With regards to goals scored, on average, ST/NR come out at 1.83 and MM at 1.63 per game.

Let it go

12 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Home form used to be the factor that saved the Latics' bacon. If you look back to the mid-1970s, we had a pretty poor side that came very close to relegation from the old Div 2 in 1974/5 and 1975/6. The side was so poor in the last two or three months of 75/76 that they only won one of their final 16 fixtures. We failed to win a single away game in the former season, and lost 15 away matches out of 21 in the latter season, but only lost four times at home in 74/5 and twice at home in 75/76. 

Such a contrast to the last 30 years (250+ defeats at home in league and cup games).

This is a massive issue, and has been for many years. Never properly analyzed and I don't think any of the conventional explanations really get to the bottom of it. Most people here know what I think, so I won't elaborate further, just to say that I think that statistics such as these are absolutely staggering, and should not be dismissed.

Get Frank to pee in all 4 corners before he goes off rowing.

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Oh dear 😆

Even by your standards, you've put up a remarkably asinine post there. Let's recap, shall we? Your "point" was to say "Barnet away in the Conference", clearly implying that it wasn't a win to get too excited about. We'd just comprehensively beaten the team 2nd in the table, on their own ground, but don't let that fact worry you, eh? And the "Conference" hasn't been the "Conference" for some time, but never mind. Disjointed pointed out to you it's the same division that we are in. In other words, your "point", other than a statement of the glaringly obvious, had no need whatsoever to demean what was an excellent win. Clutch at straws all you like by trying to equate your silly and negative, petty spoiler with my summary of what I describe above as a bad result against Ebbsfleet (which you clearly didn't notice/ignored).

Given the lamentable nature of many of your posts, I'm not sure you need to worry about lowering yourself - you can't get any lower 🤣

Touch a nerve?

All those big words, I mean from reading this i can see its all just floccinaucinihilipilification 

Edited by Charles or Eddie

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Let it go

Let what go metty? Just pointing out what (I think) are interesting stats - on the back of some relevant stats posted by someone else. We are letting a lot more goals in - whilst scoring a little less. 

Edited by wiseowl
spelling!
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Let what go metty? Just pointing out what (I think) are interesting stats - on the back of some relevant stats posted by someone else. We are letting a lot more goals in - whilst scoring a little less. 

It is a small sample size though. But I do think breaking teams down at home is a problem for us, infact in preseason I did highlight this could be an issue for us.

We can also throw in home performances against Halifax Solihull and Dorking if we add those 3 under mellon then from those 6 winnable home games we've taken 3 points from a possible 18. Bread and butter games that promotion chasing teams find a way to win, by either smashing them to pieces, or if thats not possible beating them by the odd goal, either way they find a way to secure 3 points. 

I'm not convinced at all that Thompson and Redfearn had the answers here. I could put the form we showed  down to a post manager sacking bounce. Mellons C.V. is far superior to either of them when it comes to managing teams at this kind Ievel to promotion.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Home form used to be the factor that saved the Latics' bacon. If you look back to the mid-1970s, we had a pretty poor side that came very close to relegation from the old Div 2 in 1974/5 and 1975/6. The side was so poor in the last two or three months of 75/76 that they only won one of their final 16 fixtures. We failed to win a single away game in the former season, and lost 15 away matches out of 21 in the latter season, but only lost four times at home in 74/5 and twice at home in 75/76. 

Such a contrast to the last 30 years (250+ defeats at home in league and cup games).

This is a massive issue, and has been for many years. Never properly analyzed and I don't think any of the conventional explanations really get to the bottom of it. Most people here know what I think, so I won't elaborate further, just to say that I think that statistics such as these are absolutely staggering, and should not be dismissed.

Not been the same since the slope went.

9 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

😂😂😂

Keep editing.

Haha easy spelling to do as you well know, yet both points stand. Your argument was weak and a poor attempt to recover the situation.

So original point stands, over reaction after Barnet. You didn't agree, yet in the depths of despair of a loss you suddenly emplore everyone to seek perspective. Same point, just made when everyone is seeking solace.

This will be my last response on this. Yet somehow I look forward to your level headed response after the next result.

seems there are some determined to be sad. which is rather sad in itsself 😢

l just see it as every time it happens we are one time closer to it not happening anymore. well impressed with MM and l think some of the boooo brigade are actually worried we might end up being decent!!

hope they stop coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

Haha easy spelling to do as you well know, yet both points stand. Your argument was weak and a poor attempt to recover the situation.

So original point stands, over reaction after Barnet. You didn't agree, yet in the depths of despair of a loss you suddenly emplore everyone to seek perspective. Same point, just made when everyone is seeking solace.

This will be my last response on this. Yet somehow I look forward to your level headed response after the next result.

Keep wallowing in negativity. I won't lose sleep over it.

Seriously, I thought Saturday was typically hilarious. Win away at Barnet 9 positions above us 4-1 and lose at home by the same score to a side almost as many places below us.

It is why my allegiance to my club will never waiver.

Could not have scripted it.

Love Latics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It is a small sample size though. But I do think breaking teams down at home is a problem for us, infact in preseason I did highlight this could be an issue for us.

We can also throw in home performances against Halifax Solihull and Dorking if we add those 3 under mellon then from those 6 winnable home games we've taken 3 points from a possible 18. Bread and butter games that promotion chasing teams find a way to win, by either smashing them to pieces, or if thats not possible beating them by the odd goal, either way they find a way to secure 3 points. 

I'm not convinced at all that Thompson and Redfearn had the answers here. I could put the form we showed  down to a post manager sacking bounce. Mellons C.V. is far superior to either of them when it comes to managing teams at this kind Ievel to promotion.

I did caveat regarding the small sample size (as you did regarding the home and away stats under MM). I don't have a problem with Mellon as it's obvious he is capable of managing. What I find baffling, though, is the view amongst many that ST/NR wouldn't have cut the mustard. We never sank to the depths of a Fylde away or an Ebbsfleet at home during their tenure, and really tightened up at the back. They went on an immediate unbeaten run after the DU debacle - and we sacked them!

People say to me (about ST/NR) "they only managed 6 games, so it's no reliable measure". Then in the next breath they are saying, "Mellon's only had 8 games - he needs more time."

Blatant double standards and I just cannot understand the ambivalence towards 2 fellas who brought us out of the dark ages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I did caveat regarding the small sample size (as you did regarding the home and away stats under MM). I don't have a problem with Mellon as it's obvious he is capable of managing. What I find baffling, though, is the view amongst many that ST/NR wouldn't have cut the mustard. We never sank to the depths of a Fylde away or an Ebbsfleet at home during their tenure, and really tightened up at the back. They went on an immediate unbeaten run after the DU debacle - and we sacked them!

People say to me (about ST/NR) "they only managed 6 games, so it's no reliable measure". Then in the next breath they are saying, "Mellon's only had 8 games - he needs more time."

Blatant double standards and I just cannot understand the ambivalence towards 2 fellas who brought us out of the dark ages.

So you'd definitely have kept ST/NR?.

11 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Oldham fans displaying double standards? Never...

13 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

There’s two things that you want - performance and or result. 

ST did a very good Job with results but the performance’s were poor,  that  isn’t sustainable in the medium to long term. No side continues to win playing poorly. 

MM has done a mixed job with results, but some of the performance’s have been superb and an identity was/is  starting to form- this is much more sustainable in the medium to long term. 

The two are night and day. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

6 games isn’t long enough to judge, neither is 8…..the decision to choose the next manager was the club’s, they chose Mellon….what point are you making?

22 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

We could have just as easily been thumped by Maidenhead and Dagenham as we were by Ebbsfleet.

Performances under Thommo evidenced a gradual decline. Despite us hitting those depths (or lower) under Mellon, we've also had games which have shown incremental or marked improvements. Under Thommo it was all going in the wrong direction.

l think the STNR combo was close to getting the job, but there was talk from the club of lots of talk with MM so it sounds like in the end the interview process steered the club away from emotion towards pragmatism and we shouldnt really be hypothesising over it.

after DU we needed an actual manager to save us from certain lessons. MM couldnt save us or the players from listening to ourselves. but he's seen it and is now acting 'without emotion' as he says. but he defo has certain emotions, l can hear it in his voice.