MATCH: Solihull Moors (A) 16/12/23

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

It’s not an issue. 

It’s just a talking point- about the only  guaranteed starter. 

The consensus seems to be he doesn’t have to take any  responsibility for his own game, because if/when he’s poor it’s everyone else’s fault. 

Bizarre,  but from the replies I’m obviously in the minority here. 

l dont think theres anything wrong with his game its a privelege to watch

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

It’s not an issue. 

The consensus seems to be he doesn’t have to take any  responsibility for his own game, because if/when he’s poor it’s everyone else’s fault. 

I mean as I've said before, I'm with you.

Surprised there's comments about Stones playing badly in the first-half last Saturday - he was the only one that did anything.  You could tell he wasn't one of Unsworth's. That run from the half-way line that took him into the box was the best thing we did in the first-half by some distance...

Norwood plays well when the team plays well.  Not sure that makes him a "first-on-the-team-sheet" player, to be honest.  He was woeful in the first-half and I forgot he was even playing in the second.

I do wonder how we'd get on with a more "team" player instead, especially when things aren't going well...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

its like we expected Paul Mullin

I did mate. . 

And it wasn’t without merit. 

Prolific league one striker drops two divisions for big contract. It was very similar to Mullin. 

For a player of his calibre and wage, I think he’s done just ok overall. Sometimes he’s excellent, sometimes he’s non existent. (See Saturday) He’ll get twenty this year and end up around 1 in 2, so I get the argument that scoring is his main Job, I just think he can and should bring more especially when we’re struggling. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I did mate. . 

And it wasn’t without merit. 

Prolific league one striker drops two divisions for big contract. It was very similar to Mullin. 

For a player of his calibre and wage, I think he’s done just ok overall. Sometimes he’s excellent, sometimes he’s non existent. (See Saturday) He’ll get twenty this year and end up around 1 in 2, so I get the argument that scoring is his main Job, I just think he can and should bring more especially when we’re struggling. 

Mullin is in his prime Norwood is onto his 35th orbit around the star

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s not an issue. 

Of course he has to take responsibility, but he’s doing his job isn’t he ? He’s scoring us goals.

Norwood is a poacher at the end of his career. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Surprised there's comments about Stones playing badly in the first-half last Saturday - he was the only one that did anything.  You could tell he wasn't one of Unsworth's. That run from the half-way line that took him into the box was the best thing we did in the first-half by some distance...

Norwood plays well when the team plays well.  Not sure that makes him a "first-on-the-team-sheet" player, to be honest.  He was woeful in the first-half and I forgot he was even playing in the second.

I do wonder how we'd get on with a more "team" player instead, especially when things aren't going well...

The whole team played badly. Stones did okay in the first half, he had that run and that’s about it. 

Glad you’re not the manager if you wouldn’t have guaranteed goals as the first name on the team sheet. Christ. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Stones struggled for 20 minutes or so mainly because he was probably trying a bit too hard, he looked like a duck out of water, once he went on that run and we all thought he'd scored he seemed to grow in confidence and was for me man of the match.

Main thing he brought which the team has been lacking was drive and wanting to move up the pitch, he's immune to the coaching some of our current lot have had to suffer and it showed with his direct approach. I was hoping players like Ward and Lundstrum would provide that energy this season but for one reason or another we've not seen it from them, Lundstrum particularly can do so much more and he only really pushed himself with 30 to go on Saturday, cruises through games for me and whether that's through worry with the knee I don't know, he needs to add goals to his game as well he gets in some nice positions but never pulls the trigger, same could be said about one or two others.

With regards to Norwood if fit he's always going to be first name on the team sheet, nobody as far as I'm aware is even suggesting that he shouldn't be starting week in week out and leading the line and at 33 he's not really going to change the way he plays, it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed if he doesn't reach the heights we expect of him, he is after all our marquee signing and with that there is generally greater expectation. No doubt about it though he's a much better player with a smile on his face.

26 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

The whole team played badly. Stones did okay in the first half, he had that run and that’s about it. 

Glad you’re not the manager if you wouldn’t have guaranteed goals as the first name on the team sheet. Christ. 

Come on. "Guaranteed goals" is a bit of a stretch even for you. 

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Of course he has to take responsibility, but he’s doing his job isn’t he ? He’s scoring us goals.

Norwood is a poacher at the end of his career. 

He’s far far better than a poacher in my opinion. 

Yeah, I’m not naive. I know how it sounds when you critique your top scorer.

I just watch him sometimes and think fucking hell, he is a class footballer. His weight of pass for Hope at Barnet was a cut above. Then the following week it’s not that he’s a bit off but still trying- he’s miles off it. 

He’s our best footballer as well as best striker, and while his goal return is good. I think he’s capable of contributing more to the team performance with his play. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

With regards to Norwood if fit he's always going to be first name on the team sheet, nobody as far as I'm aware is even suggesting that he shouldn't be starting week in week out and leading the line and at 33 he's not really going to change the way he plays, it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed if he doesn't reach the heights we expect of him, he is after all our marquee signing and with that there is generally greater expectation. No doubt about it though he's a much better player with a smile on his face.

Spot on Yardy. 

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He’s far far better than a poacher in my opinion. 

Yeah, I’m not naive. I know how it sounds when you critique your top scorer.

I just watch him sometimes and think fucking hell, he is a class footballer. His weight of pass for Hope at Barnet was a cut above. Then the following week it’s not that he’s a bit off but still trying- he’s miles off it. 

He’s our best footballer as well as best striker, and while his goal return is good. I think he’s capable of contributing more to the team performance with his play. 

I think he feels he has to come deep to get on the ball, certainly true before Mellon came in. He’s not going to link up play, create chances in the box for him, he will score it really is that simple for me. 

Honestly, I just want us as a set of fans to enjoy having him and his goals in the side. Next year he could tail off massively given his age, but whilst he’s scoring as he is, let’s just enjoy it. Just seems people are eager to get on his back. 

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well, until any of our other strikers start scoring on a consistent basis, let’s hope Norwood keeps playing how he has done so far shall we. 

Certainly in games where things are going well for him, yes...

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well, until any of our other strikers start scoring on a consistent basis, let’s hope Norwood keeps playing how he has done so far shall we. 

Bit better than 1 in 2 - Norwood goal every 160 minutes.

Alex Reid every 95 minutes.

Joe Nuttall every 761 minutes.

Mike Fondop every 536 minutes

Kurt Willoughby not scored in 437 minutes

Josh Stones every 74 minutes.

With Reid out you can see why we brought Josh in.

*Based on minutes played in the League.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Bit better than 1 in 2 - Norwood goal every 160 minutes.

Alex Reid every 95 minutes.

Joe Nuttall every 761 minutes.

Mike Fondop every 536 minutes

Kurt Willoughby not scored in 437 minutes

Josh Stones every 74 minutes.

With Reid out you can see why we brought Josh in.

*Based on minutes played in the League.

Norwood and Reid are our best partnership. 

On that point, people rightly say that Reid has a better scoring ratio. But surely we can all agree he offers far less in terms of hold up play, and bringing others into play than Norwood. I’d say Reid’s all round game is pretty poor tbh and let’s not talk about that left foot. Again, I don’t mind because he scores. 

So why does Reid get let off ? Is it because the fans like him for whatever reason ? 

I like Reid btw. 

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Guaranteed goals implies a goal (or more) per game. So not guaranteed.

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

Second half he was superb. 

I’d just like a ninety performance from the man brought in to be the difference- especially when we’re struggling for consistency. He generally plays well when we play well. I’d like him to play well when we’re not playing well and help us, instead of sulking when things don’t go his way. 

A mate of a mate turned up for our six a side league, unbeknown to us he was semi pro, and he used to talk us all game, didn’t get frustrated by how shit we were, whilst still being the best player on the pitch by a country mile. We won the league.  I think Norwood is so good, and in a similar way to my story is levels above a lot of them. Lead by example and show the others what 90 minutes of intensity looks like, without sulking- especially when you’re up against. 

Is that too much to ask? 

I agree with this. What you don’t say, but must be a contributory factor, is that in all probability your semi pro raised your collective level - it’s a team game, and he couldn’t have won the league by himself. It’s a pity that Norwood can’t have a similar influence when games aren’t going well. The rest of the team would surely learn from and benefit from a player of his skill and experience. We might even string a few wins together eventually!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Honestly, I just want us as a set of fans to enjoy having him and his goals in the side.

I do. 

46 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Next year he could tail off massively given his age,

I’d wager he won’t. He’ll be 34 in division 5 not 38 in league one. 

47 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Just seems people are eager to get on his back. 

On the contrary- I just want him to be the player he shows sometimes more of the time. I’m not asking a lot. 

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

But surely we can all agree he offers far less in terms of hold up play, and bringing others into play than Norwood.

Hang on- Norwood was a poacher a minute ago. . . 😂😂

I agree- he’s a far better footballer than Reid. Reid ‘just scores goals’ but that’s ok but he isn’t good enough to be anything else. 

Norwood is! 😎

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Hang on- Norwood was a poacher a minute ago. . . 😂😂

I agree- he’s a far better footballer than Reid. Reid ‘just scores goals’ but that’s ok but he isn’t good enough to be anything else. 

Norwood is! 😎

Look at Norwood’s goals, vast majority in the 6 yard box, that’s his strength.

13 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Norwood and Reid are our best partnership. 

On that point, people rightly say that Reid has a better scoring ratio. But surely we can all agree he offers far less in terms of hold up play, and bringing others into play than Norwood. I’d say Reid’s all round game is pretty poor tbh and let’s not talk about that left foot. Again, I don’t mind because he scores. 

So why does Reid get let off ? Is it because the fans like him for whatever reason ? 

I like Reid btw. 

We do support the same team you know 🙂

Reid is a different player who plays off the last man, he needs a Norwood or a Fondop to do his dirty work so Norwood tends to drop deep when he's in a two with Reid as he's the only one capable. Reid is popular but a goal a games not to be sniffed at and lets face it he's missed some absolute sitters this season as well so it should be better than that.

If we had a settled  midfield Norwood/Reid would get you 50+ goals in this division, easily.

• Like 1