MATCH: Solihull Moors (A) 16/12/23

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Norwood hasn’t scored in 3 games

No one has had at his goal record on this thread. So not sure why you’ve brought that up. 

Let’s pick him up for waving his arms around again and demanding better.

He was woeful in the first half, stones embarrassed him with his work rate. Because he to busy throwing his arms about to himself and others. I’ve no problem with demanding better but you’d better be on your game while you’re doing it, or you just look like a  petulant kid. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect your top earner to lead by example and not sulk and blame others when he’s not on his game.

I think there’s only you who thinks he’s above any criticism, and we should just put up with the antics because he scores goals. You totally miss the point that he’s a far more effective player when he’s not doing it. 

Second half the arms stopped flying about and surprise surprise he played great second half. Coincidence? Nope. 

46 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No one has had at his goal record on this thread. So not sure why you’ve brought that up. 

He was woeful in the first half, stones embarrassed him with his work rate. Because he to busy throwing his arms about to himself and others. I’ve no problem with demanding better but you’d better be on your game while you’re doing it, or you just look like a  petulant kid. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect your top earner to lead by example and not sulk and blame others when he’s not on his game.

I think there’s only you who thinks he’s above any criticism, and we should just put up with the antics because he scores goals. You totally miss the point that he’s a far more effective player when he’s not doing it. 

Second half the arms stopped flying about and surprise surprise he played great second half. Coincidence? Nope. 

Or did he improve because we stopped just lumping it forward like we did in the first half and Sheron and Lundstrum actually pushed up the pitch ?

Stones is a 20 year old trying to find his way in the game, of course he should be running his bollocks off. 

Norwood is a 33 year old, who for his age presses and does work hard, but he has to be more conservative than a 20 year old at his age. More than likely why Stones was brought in. 

Do I like he throws his arms around and has a go at his team mates sometimes ? Not particularly. But the focus is so much on this negative rather than the positives of him actually scoring goals. 

He should have scored his chance second half. 

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

But the focus is so much on this negative rather than the positives of him actually scoring goals. 

Only to you- because you have a bee in your bonnet about it. 

Everybody has said and can see that’s he’s the our best player. That’s why he starts every week, even after a poor game. 

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Or did he improve because we stopped just lumping it forward like we did in the first half and Sheron and Lundstrum actually pushed up the pitch ?

So he can only play well when the team plays well. . . that’s alarming- and basically means he doesn’t have to take any responsibility for his own game. ‘I’m playing shit, because no one is helping me. . . ‘ By comparison Stones had no one helping him, but was still our only bright spark. So if he can play ok/well in a shit team performance, why can’t our best player? 

In the first half his first touch was shite, he laid it off to no one at least 3 times. Then the arms start, which as I said is fine, if you’re running the show- but not when your own form is off. Now, he’s allowed to play poorly. No one is amazing all the time- but all people are asking for, is when you’re not at it, don’t compound it by digging others out. Get your nut down and do your best to get us back in the game. Which as our best player he can really influence. We need him even more when we’re playing shit. 

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Stones is a 20 year old trying to find his way in the game, of course he should be running his bollocks off. 

Norwood is a 33 year old, who for his age presses and does work hard, but he has to be more conservative than a 20 year old at his age. More than likely why Stones was brought in. 

See above, I’m not talking about workrate = just running. I’m talking showing for the ball, going past a man, first touch, link play. He was miles off it first half. 

Second half, his individual game was much improved and he played great 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Everybody has said and can see that’s he’s the our best player. That’s why he starts every week, even after a poor game. 

So he can only play well when the team plays well. . . that’s alarming- and basically means he doesn’t have to take any responsibility for his own game. ‘I’m playing shit, because no one is helping me. . . ‘ By comparison Stones had no one helping him, but was still our only bright spark. So if he can play ok/well in a shit team performance, why can’t our best player? 

In the first half his first touch was shite, he laid it off to no one at least 3 times. Then the arms start, which as I said is fine, if you’re running the show- but not when your own form is off. Now, he’s allowed to play poorly. No one is amazing all the time- but all people are asking for, is when you’re not at it, don’t compound it by digging others out. Get your nut down and do your best to get us back in the game. Which as our best player he can really influence. We need him even more when we’re playing shit. 

See above, I’m not talking about workrate = just running. I’m talking showing for the ball, going past a man, first touch, link play. He was miles off it first half. 

Just rather focus and discuss what he does good to be fair. We have enough shite in this team to worry about rather than Norwood. 

Such as playing centre backs as a RWB and holding midfielder. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Like me with Sheron . . but people keep wanting to talk about his faults. 😉

Agreed. Needs sorting asap. 

Sheron was good in the second half. He played further forward and actually pressed them, and made late runs into the box which they couldn’t track. Took his goals well also, so fair play. If he has the opportunity to push up like that more rather than sit in next to his midfield partner he will be all the better for it. 

It’s actually disgraceful this right back situation and I’m bored of saying it myself. I’ll let them off with the centre mid situation because they have at least tried to sort it, but they players brought in havnt been up to it. 

It’s been 24-18 months now without a competent right back. Madness. 

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s actually disgraceful this right back situation and I’m bored of saying it myself. I’ll let them off with the centre mid situation because they have at least tried to sort it, but they players brought in havnt been up to it. 

It’s been 24-18 months now without a competent right back. Madness. 

Yeah, it is appalling that. Not even a loan, and still playing a centre half as wingback. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sheron was good in the second half. He played further forward and actually pressed them, and made late runs into the box which they couldn’t track. Took his goals well also, so fair play. If he has the opportunity to push up like that more rather than sit in next to his midfield partner he will be all the better for it. 

There's been three matches where Sheron played in that role further forward to remarkable success and that's Alty in the cup, Rochdale and Solhull on Saturday. He just seems far more natural and comfortable, plus helps us press hard when he has the security of cover behind him. He just isn't made for the deep lying position and it's a credit to him for keeping going when he was clearly a round peg rammed in a square hole for such a long time. Also having robust players like Sutton and Kitching out wide in midfield, as opposed to Green and Dickenson who rarely tackle, helped us a lot in that respect too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

There's been three matches where Sheron played in that role further forward to remarkable success and that's Alty in the cup, Rochdale and Solhull on Saturday. He just seems far more natural and comfortable, plus helps us press hard when he has the security of cover behind him. He just isn't made for the deep lying position and it's a credit to him for keeping going when he was clearly a round peg rammed in a square hole for such a long time. Also having robust players like Sutton and Kitching out wide in midfield, as opposed to Green and Dickenson who rarely tackle, helped us a lot in that respect too.

We've tried to re-invent Sheron as a deep lying midfielder instead of giving him his head and letting him charge forward causing mayhem and scoring goals, much like we did with Garrity the other season. This seems to have dawned on Mellon after ten or so matches so once we sign a "Matty Palmer type" on loan in January, and extend Stones to the end of season the play-offs will beckon. 👍

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

We've tried to re-invent Sheron as a deep lying midfielder instead of giving him his head and letting him charge forward causing mayhem and scoring goals, much like we did with Garrity the other season. This seems to have dawned on Mellon after ten or so matches so once we sign a "Matty Palmer type" on loan in January, and extend Stones to the end of season the play-offs will beckon. 👍

According to Wikipedia he scored 1 goal in 104 appearances before joining us. It may perhaps be a case of us discovering that, as he's developed (age 26 now) he's actually become something rather different than what everyone had always assumed throughout his career. Maybe we bought an ugly duckling (yes, we've had a few of those) and will now be able to play him as a swan.

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

According to Wikipedia he scored 1 goal in 104 appearances before joining us. It may perhaps be a case of us discovering that, as he's developed (age 26 now) he's actually become something rather different than what everyone had always assumed throughout his career. Maybe we bought an ugly duckling (yes, we've had a few of those) and will now be able to play him as a swan.

I maybe  wrong on the re-inventing bit but he does seem more comfortable with the shackles off, probably because he's not a very technical type of player preferring to do things instinctively. His two finishes on Saturday were really good, I just wish more of his teammates hit the ball first time when in the box. 

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I maybe  wrong on the re-inventing bit but he does seem more comfortable with the shackles off, probably because he's not a very technical type of player preferring to do things instinctively. His two finishes on Saturday were really good, I just wish more of his teammates hit the ball first time when in the box. 

Perhaps that's the thing, when he is in a position on the pitch where he has to make a pass it's normally the way he is facing, higher up the pitch he just wellies it. 

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Perhaps that's the thing, when he is in a position on the pitch where he has to make a pass it's normally the way he is facing, higher up the pitch he just wellies it. 

As long as he wellies it in the back of the net he'll do for me !

We've spent far too much time in our own half over the last couple of seasons so maybe we've now decided we've a better chance of winning if the ball's in the opposition half of  the field. 😁

On 12/18/2023 at 2:08 PM, League one forever said:

Not sure what your on about here really.

Players can't be amazing for 90 mins of every game.

Stones has played 3/4 of a game which was decent. He's a head down runner who is not afraid of having a shot which I like. But let's not get carried away. Hopefully his development will continue and he will be good most weeks... Like Norwood.

Without Norwood this season we would be behind where we are now. 

He does and sees things others don't and I can take a bit of waving arms and moaning if he's doing other things well which he usually does.

1H at Solihull he hardly got a decent ball to do anything with and service to him was utter shite.

55 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Not sure what your on about here really.

55 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I can take a bit of waving arms and moaning if he's doing other things well which he usually does.

So you do know what I’m on about. . . 

And he didn’t do things he usually does. That’s the point. When he does those things he’s our best player, when he doesn’t he’s petulant and ineffective. Stones embarrassed him with his first half performance. 

57 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

1H at Solihull he hardly got a decent ball to do anything with and service to him was utter shite.

Ah, the old - it’s everyone else his fault that his first touch was garbage, and  he repeatedly laid it off to no one in the first half. 

Why can stones play well in a shit team performance  (first half) and Norwood can’t? Or do we absolve him of any personal responsibility for his own game and just blame the team for making him shit? 

On 12/18/2023 at 7:15 PM, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

He did look far better pushed up. If he can maintain his scoring touch, he will clearly be an asset to us. That second half was exactly what I wanted to see from him. Let's see if we encourage more of the same at home to Gateshead. It will be a different challenge, and I hope we don't revert to sitting back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, League one forever said:

So you do know what I’m on about. . . 

And he didn’t do things he usually does. That’s the point. When he does those things he’s our best player, when he doesn’t he’s petulant and ineffective. Stones embarrassed him with his first half performance. 

Ah, the old - it’s everyone else his fault that his first touch was garbage, and  he repeatedly laid it off to no one in the first half. 

Why can stones play well in a shit team performance  (first half) and Norwood can’t? Or do we absolve him of any personal responsibility for his own game and just blame the team for making him shit? 

Not sure what game you were watching. Stones wasnt particularly great in the 1H. Nobody was.

Plenty of poor touches and wayward passes from him, as there was from everyone. He was slightly better than Norwood was though and was probably the best of a bad bunch in the first 45 mins, and granted Norwood had a stinker.

And your term Stones embarrassed him in the 1H is just nonesence.

We were shit 1H end of...but we improved 2H won so that's OK I guess yes?t

Stones could be a real goodun based on what we saw Saturday....but let's wait until we have seen a few more games, before we start throwing around comments like he embarrasses our top scorer for 45 mins.

Norwood is the first name on the team sheet in my view. No debate.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Norwood is the first name on the team sheet in my view. No debate.

Agreed- and I never suggested he shouldn’t be. 

The point about arm waving isn’t isolated from his game, it’s directly linked to it.  He never does it when he’s playing well. . . and he’s got no right to be doing it when he’s having a stinker. It obviously doesn’t help his game or others around him. So why do it? How about just get nut down and try your best?? 

Which leads to- 

Stones could be a real goodun based on what we saw Saturday....but let's wait until we have seen a few more games, before we start throwing around comments like he embarrasses our top scorer for 45 mins.

You didn’t answer my question, why can a 20 year old be the best of a bad bunch and Norwood can’t? 

It’s embarrassing that a player of his calibre and pedigree isn’t showing the desire and will to win that 20 year on loan is. If you think having a stinker, blaming everyone else and going missing as our star player is acceptable- then fine. But we’ll have to agree to disagree with that. 

Not sure what game you were watching. Stones wasnt particularly great in the 1H. Nobody was.

Plenty of poor touches and wayward passes from him, as there was from everyone. He was slightly better than Norwood was though and was probably the best of a bad bunch in the first 45 mins, and granted Norwood had a stinker.

Looks like I was watching a similar game to you. Stones wasn’t amazing, but he looked alive, he ran the channels, he fashioned the only shot on goal by using his pace and beating his man. I agree he was the best of a bad bunch. Norwood by comparison had a stinker (your words, and again I agree) couldn’t control the football, laid it off to one. Didn’t show enough for it or drop into pockets.  He just sulked and threw the arms about.

It’s not him having a poor game I’m arsed about, that can happen. It’s his reaction to it that’s embarrassing especially when his strike partner is at the very least trying. 

• Like 1

seemed to be trying when he gets there first in his own half skips past a defender and bears down on goal with mad pace for a veteran leading to our second.

if he was such a sulk arse then Sheron wouldnt be taking goals off him like that. bet he wins players player (the only one that counts)

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

seemed to be trying when he gets there first in his own half skips past a defender and bears down on goal with mad pace for a veteran leading to our second.

if he was such a sulk arse then Sheron wouldnt be taking goals off him like that. bet he wins players player (the only one that counts)

Second half he was superb. 

I’d just like a ninety performance from the man brought in to be the difference- especially when we’re struggling for consistency. He generally plays well when we play well. I’d like him to play well when we’re not playing well and help us, instead of sulking when things don’t go his way. 

A mate of a mate turned up for our six a side league, unbeknown to us he was semi pro, and he used to talk us all game, didn’t get frustrated by how shit we were, whilst still being the best player on the pitch by a country mile. We won the league.  I think Norwood is so good, and in a similar way to my story is levels above a lot of them. Lead by example and show the others what 90 minutes of intensity looks like, without sulking- especially when you’re up against. 

Is that too much to ask? 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’d just like a ninety performance from the man brought in to be the difference- especially when we’re struggling for consistency. He generally plays well when we play well. I’d like him to play well when we’re not playing well and help us, instead of sulking when things don’t go his way. 

A mate of a mate turned up for our six a side league, unbeknown to us he was semi pro, and he used to talk us all game, didn’t get frustrated by how shit we were, whilst still being the best player on the pitch by a country mile. We won the league.  I think Norwood is so good, and in a similar way to my story is levels above a lot of them. Lead by example and show the others what 90 minutes of intensity looks like, without sulking- especially when you’re up against. 

Is that too much to ask? 

Different people are different characters. Mellon commented on Norwood’s personality himself. 

He was loved at both Tranmere and Barnsley. The issue isn’t Norwood. 

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Different people are different characters. Mellon commented on Norwood’s personality himself. 

He was loved at both Tranmere and Barnsley. The issue isn’t Norwood. 

It’s not an issue. 

It’s just a talking point- about the only  guaranteed starter. 

The consensus seems to be he doesn’t have to take any  responsibility for his own game, because if/when he’s poor it’s everyone else’s fault. 

Bizarre,  but from the replies I’m obviously in the minority here. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Is that too much to ask? 

kind of yes!!

we have had full 90 performances from him. under Rhino he was playin 2-3 positions for 90.

l think we are either asking a bit too much or not being as grateful as we should be.

its like we expected Paul Mullin