MATCH: Solihull Moors (A) 16/12/23

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

My take. 

That first half was the worst I’ve seen us under Mellon, it was Unsworthesque. (Yes, it was that bad) We sat deep, bypassed the midfield, and had zero urgency or tempo. Everyone looked a yard of the pace. I sat there and thought - we are million miles away from challenging this season. 

Half time- and Mellon must have given them absolute bollocking- because literally everything they didn’t do first half- they did second half. We immediately started playing further up the pitch, we looked at it, and we suddenly had runners from midfield. Much better, and much to Yardy’s despair I’m singing EIEIEO on the way out. 😁

Here’s the rub. 

We have shown in patches how good they can be, but it only comes when the tempo and intensity is good. Playing that way should really be the minimum, and it really pisses me off how we start games. It’s a lack of professionalism-  plain and simple. To many are sat in the comfort zone on relatively fat contracts thinking they just have to turn up. That mentality is nowhere near good enough to go up 

Today’s game is the perfect illustration of Mellon’s tenure so far, really encouraging in what we could be. . . but can only play at the intensity he wants in patches or for one or two games, before they fall off a cliff. Until he can mould that squad and mentality to what he wants were going to keep seeing these up and down performances. 

Final thought 

Awful day for the Sheronisgarbagelads. 😂😂

Top post 👏

The key difference between the two halves was down to the tempo of our play.

i went with two mates and each of us summed up the first 45 in a single word:

Pedestrian.

Ponderous.

Poor.

The second half brought a great improvement - we pushed Lundstram and Sheron further forward and adopted a faster, more direct approach.

Interesting to note that Stones was about to be subbed when he scored. The lad was running on fumes after 60 minutes but continued to work hard.

Worryingly he had a large bag of ice strapped to his knee at the end of the game…hopefully just precautionary.

One final comment:

I had Latics to win 3-1 with Coral (18-1) but cashed out on 86 minutes as I was convinced we’d score a fourth…👀

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Top post 👏

Pedestrian.

Ponderous.

Poor.

The second half brought a great improvement - we pushed Lundstram and Sheron further forward and adopted a faster, more direct approach.

Interesting to note that Stones was about to be subbed when he scored. The lad was running on fumes after 60 minutes but continued to work hard.

Worryingly he had a large bag of ice strapped to his knee at the end of the game…hopefully just precautionary.

One final comment:

I had Latics to win 3-1 with Coral (18-1) but cashed out on 86 minutes as I was convinced we’d score a fourth…👀

Nice cash out!

I saw a stat 3 weeks ago that we would be 15th if all our games finished at 60 mins...

I'd say nothings improved since then. 

MM just needs to find a way to get us going from the off. I'm baffled at the pace we start most games....

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Nice cash out!

I saw a stat 3 weeks ago that we would be 15th if all our games finished at 60 mins...

I'd say nothings improved since then. 

MM just needs to find a way to get us going from the off. I'm baffled at the pace we start most games....

Right boys, loosen up and a few star jumps for the first hour then give it a go?

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Top post 👏

Pedestrian.

Ponderous.

Poor.

One final comment:

Got to love a cash out that works. 

Next week’s such a big carrot to win now. Four sides in the top seven play each other and if we win our match against 6th placed Gateshead, we’d move level on points with them and even possibly into a play-off position should Aldershot lose.

A very Laticsy proposition.

3 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Next week’s such a big carrot to win now. Four sides in the top seven play each other and if we win our match against 6th placed Gateshead, we’d move level on points with them and even possibly into a play-off position should Aldershot lose.

It's all building up to an away win. It's the hope that kills you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Rochdale play Halifax so we'd need them to draw and us to batter Gateshead.

No more getting ahead of myself, undoubted talent in this side but they have consistently failed to deliver whenever we engineer a decent position for ourselves. Hopefully this is the time it changes because if this is finally the year we have a good Christmas...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Rochdale play Halifax so we'd need them to draw and us to batter Gateshead.

No more getting ahead of myself, undoubted talent in this side but they have consistently failed to deliver whenever we engineer a decent position for ourselves. Hopefully this is the time it changes because if this is finally the year we have a good Christmas...

I refuse to have any expectations at this time of year, bah humbug. 

If we were only allowed to play sides in the top 7 away from home we'd absolutely coast the league.

Reminds me of the Kewell season a bit. Mellon's big task is getting these players to be able to break down well organised teams at home. If they can't do that these kind of results are in vain unfortunately. Saturday is a good opportunity as Gateshead will come to attack

Solihull yesterday almost played like an away team I thought.

They probably knew that we struggle to break down sides that sit back due our lack of width, and were quite happy for us to have the ball and pass it around without doing much with it .

Not sure how Gateshead will approach next Saturday. I'd be happy if they came at us a bit like Barnet did...

4 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

I hadn't realized that Solihull were managed by Henry VIII before I saw this video:

Wow he's fuming! So fuming infact that a defeat next week will see him complain about too many snakes 🐍 and that it's just him and the kids from now on.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

If we were only allowed to play sides in the top 7 away from home we'd absolutely coast the league.

Reminds me of the Kewell season a bit. Mellon's big task is getting these players to be able to break down well organised teams at home. If they can't do that these kind of results are in vain unfortunately. Saturday is a good opportunity as Gateshead will come to attack

Gateshead are a passing/possession team, Ebsfleet did a number on us playing this way as did Mickleover to an extent, we need to get players in there faces to disrupt this. MM has to make sure we're on it from the get go or it will be a familiar story. 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I'm annoyed about that yellow. As far as I could tell ref hadn't blown and ball slightly out. Got every right to hoof it. Play to the whistle

Yeah, surprised no one mentioned this sooner. Disgraceful decision, and MM was rightly furious at it too. 
Big loss if indeed Kitch is banned, which I believe he will be. 

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

Gateshead are a passing/possession team, Ebsfleet did a number on us playing this way as did Mickleover to an extent, we need to get players in there faces to disrupt this. MM has to make sure we're on it from the get go or it will be a familiar story. 

Gateshead are very good away and we're poor at home,

We could be trading places with them soon if we can get that all important win here but I'm not overly convinced after yesterday, they ofcourse lost at home and will also be wanting to put that right.

Need to make it as uncomfortable as we can and turn them over

12 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Gateshead are very good away and we're poor at home,

We could be trading places with them soon if we can get that all important win here but I'm not overly convinced after yesterday, they ofcourse lost at home and will also be wanting to put that right.

Need to make it as uncomfortable as we can and turn them over

Should have beat them at theirs, we played the extra man in midfield that day and at an high intensity throughout only for them to peg us back for a fortuitous draw. I'm sure if we get after them we'll cause them problems, stand around like we did at home to Mickleover and we'll get dicked.