MATCH: Solihull Moors (A) 16/12/23

40 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We've won the last 4 away games scoring 12 goals in the process.

We need to find a way to win games at home 

It wasn't a good performance, especially the first half but we held out for the points and that's all that matters.

Young Stones is going to be a gud en, from what we've seen today

6 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Can any of the historians tell us when we last three away league games on the bounce? 

We won 4 away games in the league in Nov/Dec 2020. 

21 Nov Exeter away won 2-1

24 Nov Barrow away won 4-3

5 Dec Cambridge away won 2-1

19 Dec Newport away won 4-2

On 8 Nov we beat Hampton & Richmond 3-2 away in the FA Cup 1st round, 10 Nov won 3-2 at Bradford in the EFL Trophy and 28 Nov we beat Bradford away 2-1 in the FA Cup 2nd round. So 7 away wins in a row including the EFL Trophy/FA Cup.

Edited by Worcester Owl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

It wasn't a good performance, especially the first half but we held out for the points and that's all that matters.

Young Stones is going to be a gud en, from what we've seen today

I’m not going to disagree as such, but I do somewhat feel there was an overreaction to our 1st half. We were poor granted, but it was your typical poor game overall with Solihull looking equally as poor as we did I thought. Hudson didn’t have much to do at all and they probably did edge it, but it wasn’t a 1 sided affair. I thought they were crap for 4th in the league, and shows with a bit of consistency especially at home we’ll get that top 7 fairly easily. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Difference second half was we played further up the pitch Sheron, Lundstrum and even Hogan, McGahey and Hobson drove us on which they needed to do as that's where the gaps were. 

Lundstrum was absolutely wank for most of the game.

Hardly broke a sweat for 60.mims.

Better for the last 3rd as SM tired but not the player we were led to believe in my view

46 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Lundstrum was absolutely wank for most of the game.

Hardly broke a sweat for 60.mims.

Better for the last 3rd as SM tired but not the player we were led to believe in my view

But been injured so probably nursing his way back.

He's a neat midfielder who looks after the ball so we still need a ball player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

As someone whose observations are at present confined to YouTube clips and reading of this message board, I'd have to say I'm impressed by his finishing capability from around the edge of the penalty area. As for his more general midfield skills, not qualified to comment.

His dad was a striker.

1 hour ago, ceskylatic said:

Quite poor from both sides first half, but not terrible from Latics as some are suggesting.

Mellon’s change of tactics going more direct into the channels for Kitching and Stones out wide and a harder press in midfield won it for us.

Stones look good on the right flank, maybe we can leave out Hogan at home and play an extra striker in Fondop?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnG123 said:

Anyone know the attendance ? 

It was around 1650 with 550ish from us (They did flash it up on the scoreboard but I can't remember the exact numbers). First half was that shite I took the opportunity to order a new lease car online whilst I was there to pass the time. Second half better obviously, Stones looks decent. 20 or so isn't he looks a mature lad for 20 no one's bullying him around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceskylatic said:

Quite poor from both sides first half, but not terrible from Latics as some are suggesting.

I thought we weren't at it, as if the player's out there couldn't be arsed

They obviously had that arse kicked in the dressing room at half time and it showed but even after going 3-1 up, we gift them a penalty and end up hoping they don't get another and spoil the day.

We need more grit if we're ever going to get out of this league

Listening to Mellon. Again he says all the right things but why do the players need to wait till 1/2 time to be told to play up rhe pitch, raise your intensity  I really believe Unsworths legacy is still affecting us.If we believe I reckon we should be beating most teams in this division. Playing for a draw or narrow win was D.Us style. Much prefer.M. syle.Give me a basketball score anyday. .

46 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I thought we weren't at it, as if the player's out there couldn't be arsed

They obviously had that arse kicked in the dressing room at half time and it showed but even after going 3-1 up, we gift them a penalty and end up hoping they don't get another and spoil the day.

We need more grit if we're ever going to get out of this league

Definitely, we’ve had a number of decent wins only to be followed by a hollow performance the week after. Let’s see what they can do next Saturday at home now. Still concerns me that firsthand though today , a fortnight without a league game , poor last week in a cup game against “inferior” opposition and they still need a rocket at half time to concentrate their minds. 

41 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Some properly embarrassing posts during the first half in this thread calling out Mellon. First half was crap but these players have proven time and again that, as a collective, they aren’t up to it consistently. Second half was so much better and whatever Mellon said to them worked. 

5 promotions is it he’s won? More promotions on his CV than we’ve had in best part of 70 years. Let him crack on ffs. It won’t get fundamentally better until we’ve undone some of the recruitment mess of the past 18 months but Mellon’s already shown enough to earn time from us fans without people getting on his back

He’s not called Mickey 5 promotions Mellon for nothing. 

42 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Some properly embarrassing posts during the first half in this thread calling out Mellon. First half was crap but these players have proven time and again that, as a collective, they aren’t up to it consistently. Second half was so much better and whatever Mellon said to them worked. 

5 promotions is it he’s won? More promotions on his CV than we’ve had in best part of 70 years. Let him crack on ffs. It won’t get fundamentally better until we’ve undone some of the recruitment mess of the past 18 months but Mellon’s already shown enough to earn time from us fans without people getting on his back

Nice story, just to add some context we were fucking awful for 60+ minutes, Norwood was again disappointing and appears untouchable, they needed another rocket which I'm presuming Mellon eludes to in his post match interview and we managed to get something from the game, most comments on here are not aimed at undermining the manager but merely pointing out the huge deficiencies that exist in the playing squad, not one person at half time could have been of the opinion that that was anywhere good enough, it's easy to after time in a debate when the outcome is known but I'll stick by what I said as it wasn't good enough, simple as that.

Nobody is blaming Mellon let's just get that straight before it starts getting quoted as fact.

• Like 2