MATCH: Solihull Moors (A) 16/12/23

21 hours ago, south east latic said:

Some properly embarrassing posts during the first half in this thread calling out Mellon. First half was crap but these players have proven time and again that, as a collective, they aren’t up to it consistently. Second half was so much better and whatever Mellon said to them worked. 

5 promotions is it he’s won? More promotions on his CV than we’ve had in best part of 70 years. Let him crack on ffs. It won’t get fundamentally better until we’ve undone some of the recruitment mess of the past 18 months but Mellon’s already shown enough to earn time from us fans without people getting on his back

Just catching up on the thread from yesterday -  was anyone calling out Mellon?

People (including myself) were calling the first-half crap.  Because it was.

People (including myself) then called the second-half good.  Because it was.

That's not turn-coating or being fickle, it's describing what happened in the game.  Why would people say the first-half was good when it wasn't?

Hobson's performance epitomised the team performance.  In the first-half he struggled to pass the ball to a team-mate 5 yards away but in the second pinged a 50-yard cross-field pass straight to the feet on Kitching. A better ball you will not see in this league..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That's not turn-coating or being fickle, it's describing what happened in the game.  Why would people say the first-half was good when it wasn't?

Hobson's performance epitomised the team performance.  In the first-half he struggled to pass the ball to a team-mate 5 yards away but in the second pinged a 50-yard cross-field pass straight to the feet on Kitching. A better ball you will not see in this league..

Yes, I wouldn’t have posted it if not. There were comments questioning the line up, criticising him for dropping certain players, comments that only Mellon can’t see that Norwood feels he’s untouchable, comments suggesting he couldn’t deliver a ‘rocket’ because of his demeanour, comments about his management style being slow and pedestrian etc etc. 

No problem calling a spade a spade, the first half was crap. But we’ve finally got a proven winner in charge, just let him get on with it rather than looking for faults is my point. Ultimately the line up he picked and the rocket he presumably delivered won the game. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Yes, I wouldn’t have posted it if not. There were comments questioning the line up, criticising him for dropping certain players, comments that only Mellon can’t see that Norwood feels he’s untouchable, comments suggesting he couldn’t deliver a ‘rocket’ because of his demeanour, comments about his management style being slow and pedestrian etc etc. 

No problem calling a spade a spade, the first half was crap. But we’ve finally got a proven winner in charge, just let him get on with it rather than looking for faults is my point. Ultimately the line up he picked and the rocket he presumably delivered won the game. 

It's no different to being at the match and hearing the comments all around you, people vent in the 90 minutes as the emotions kick in, as on here most of them are throwaway comments, even the most placid get frustrated, I think the majority realise we have the right man in charge now. 

• Like 1

Interesting piece in the Derbyshire Times.

The top 5 form teams in the National League this calendar year.

No surprise it's Chesterfield top.

Then it's Bromley, Barnet, Gateshead and ... Latics.

If we can get top 5 by end of season I think we'll all be chuffed 

49 minutes ago, south east latic said:

So if we are calling a spade a spade surely we can question why we are starting with 6 centrehalfs and discuss Norwoods ongoing petulance?.

Even the Solihull commentators felt the need to address his behaviour so I don't see why us as fans on a forum can't. 

We'd have nothing to discuss if we left it to Mellon, as great as he is he shouldn't be immune from discussion and I think it's fair to say every regular poster on here bar none is happy to give him the time he needs.

• Like 1

Fellas can we have a break for a minute.

I totally forgot to mention the song. 

John Stones. STONES. 
always believe in your soul, you’ve got the power to , . . . know- your indestructible, always believe in your soul, you’ve got the power to know your John Stones. STONES.  

Incredible. 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

That crossfield pass from Hobson to Kitching was a thing of beauty. It was absolutely perfect as Kitching also ran onto it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

John Stones. STONES. 
always believe in your soul, you’ve got the power to , . . . know- your indestructible, always believe in your soul, you’ve got the power to know your John Stones. STONES.  

Incredible. 

Josh- sorry I’m pissed. 

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

John Stones. STONES. 

Incredible. 

First accredited to Jordan Bove, decent you get a song minutes in to your debut.

Nuttall still doesn't have one 😂

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Interesting piece in the Derbyshire Times.

The top 5 form teams in the National League this calendar year.

No surprise it's Chesterfield top.

Then it's Bromley, Barnet, Gateshead and ... Latics.

If we can get top 5 by end of season I think we'll all be chuffed 

Yeah, but most of that is down to Unsworth...😁

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

First accredited to Jordan Bove, decent you get a song minutes in to your debut.

😂😂

I thought the exact same. 

How can he play for one game, and have a better song than a big earner. 

Tells you everything you need to know about what the fans appreciate. (And no it’s not headless chicken shite) 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yeah, but most of that is down to Unsworth...😁

True story!

But all we have to do is repeat the form we showed from Jan-Apr last year where we didn't really play particularly amazing football and we will be in the play offs and probably quite high up in them aswell. I do believe a number of the clubs above us will run out of gas towards the end of the season due to their smaller squads and we can reel them in.

Although to get us over the line we are going to need that extra 2-3 players.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

I thought the exact same. 

How can he play for one game, and have a better song than a big earner. 

Tells you everything you need to know about what the fans appreciate. (And no it’s not headless chicken shite) 

Nuttall scored in his first 2 games for us. 

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

So if we are calling a spade a spade surely we can question why we are starting with 6 centrehalfs and discuss Norwoods ongoing petulance?.

Even the Solihull commentators felt the need to address his behaviour so I don't see why us as fans on a forum can't. 

We'd have nothing to discuss if we left it to Mellon, as great as he is he shouldn't be immune from discussion and I think it's fair to say every regular poster on here bar none is happy to give him the time he needs.

Yet when he is bothered then he shows real quality - viz that driving run that led to Stones’ goal, or similar at Barnet. 
Is it arrogance, laziness, frustration, or what? Did he portray similar issues elsewhere? 
I don’t know, but Mellon surely does and I believe will get the most out of him than anyone can. 

4 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Yet when he is bothered then he shows real quality - viz that driving run that led to Stones’ goal, or similar at Barnet. 
Is it arrogance, laziness, frustration, or what? Did he portray similar issues elsewhere? 
I don’t know, but Mellon surely does and I believe will get the most out of him than anyone can. 

I totally agree and probably most of it is from frustration but a leader for me has to lead by example, not throw his arms up and point aimlessly when he's sprayed another wayward pass.

These top players do need to have an arrogance but I'd like him to have the ability to lift everyone rather than just gesticulate when it's not going to plan. When he's on it he's a joy to watch but I've never been a fan of prima donna's in a team game, it's counter productive in my view.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Nuttall, shoot straight instead of 10 feet feckin wide.

That's what my mamma told me when I was about knee high.

She said son you'll play for Scunthorpe and then turn into shite.

Nuttall, shoot straight instead of 10 feet feckin wide.

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I totally agree and probably most of it is from frustration but a leader for me has to lead by example, not throw his arms up and point aimlessly when he's sprayed another wayward pass.

These top players do need to have an arrogance but I'd like him to have the ability to lift everyone rather than just gesticulate when it's not going to plan. When he's on it he's a joy to watch but I've never been a fan of prima donna's in a team game, it's counter productive in my view.

This is where I'm at too, but he's a funny one. For all the petulance you can also see a senior pro coaching other players through the game, poor impulse control I guess. I think he'll enjoy playing with young Stones although I fear it will be short term, let's enjoy it while it lasts.