BPAS PODCAST: 19th Feb '24, S4E27: Let's Be Frank, Anything's Possible

Playoff final at Wembley first name on the team sheet would be James Norwood, doesn't matter how he's been playing - that's his platform, I wish he'd kiss the badge and balloon about like some of the others but that's just not him and I respect that, there is a well know saying in sport that form is temporary but class is permanent and that applies to James, he would walk in to most League 1 teams and on that basis we are lucky to have him, that's not taking anything away from Fondop and Garner by the way who I feel have been terrific for the team.

We've made excuses for a number of strikers and their lack of goals and put a lot of it down to the poor service from the midfield, despite that Norwood has still managed to bag 16 and looks on course for 20 odd, imagine his return in a team that's clicking. 

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Playoff final at Wembley first name on the team sheet would be James Norwood, doesn't matter how he's been playing - that's his platform, I wish he'd kiss the badge and balloon about like some of the others but that's just not him and I respect that, there is a well know saying in sport that form is temporary but class is permanent and that applies to James, he would walk in to most League 1 teams and on that basis we are lucky to have him, that's not taking anything away from Fondop and Garner by the way who I feel have been terrific for the team.

We've made excuses for a number of strikers and their lack of goals and put a lot of it down to the poor service from the midfield, despite that Norwood has still managed to bag 16 and looks on course for 20 odd, imagine his return in a team that's clicking. 

Couldn’t agree more. 

Players like Norwood get you the wins in big matches, that’s why you sign them. I still don’t understand some of the negativity towards him, don’t think I ever will.

Garner and Fondop doing the business whilst he’s out has been great to see, and much needed. 

44 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

Players like Norwood get you the wins in big matches, that’s why you sign them. I still don’t understand some of the negativity towards him, don’t think I ever will.

Garner and Fondop doing the business whilst he’s out has been great to see, and much needed. 

It's not a negative really, people wish he looked a bit more like we would if we were smashing them in and I get that, it's not about his ability as 99.9% can see that, we've had nothing to celebrate for a couple of decades other than relationships with managers and players so I can see why some fans are desperate for him to engage more, he could be a real cult hero at BP if he helps fire us to a promotion or two.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

...I wish he'd kiss the badge and balloon about like some of the others but that's just not him and I respect that...

I respect it too. And I'm certainly not of the opinion that he's over-rated or should be dropped, as some seem to be.

However, there's validity to the argument that he could and should be bringing more to the team. If you look at people like Palmer and Mullin at Wrexham and how they've not just done the business but are focal points for the team's ethos... he could be asked to do more of that. Now, each person is their own... well, person... and it's reasonable that's just not his personality - so I won't chastise him for it, but it would still be nice to see it. There's power in the grey area, we don't have to think in absolutes. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's not a negative really, people wish he looked a bit more like we would if we were smashing them in and I get that, it's not about his ability as 99.9% can see that, we've had nothing to celebrate for a couple of decades other than relationships with managers and players so I can see why some fans are desperate for him to engage more, he could be a real cult hero at BP if he helps fire us to a promotion or two.

That's all correct, but - as probably one of the chief sceptics - it's not about that. I don't care if he never smiles or doesn't celebrate. 

What I don't like is, while he's class when the team is doing well, when the team aren't he seems to have an air of frustration about his team mates not doing exactly what he wants and doesn't seem to offer much of a solution to change things other than look pissed off. That's no good to us. That's not positive or "demanding better" in a constructive way. 

I just think Garner and Fondop - with the Boreham Wood game as an example - are always looking to work for the team and make things happen when the chips are down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Couldn't give a monkeys whether he laughs,smiles or cries when he plays.

I don't get this he should play however poorly he performs, and TBH he has not performed well in his past few games. Admittedly that may be down to a hamstring injury but the bare minimum should be perform to get in the team.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

That's all correct, but - as probably one of the chief sceptics - it's not about that. I don't care if he never smiles or doesn't celebrate. 

What I don't like is, while he's class when the team is doing well, when the team aren't he seems to have an air of frustration about his team mates not doing exactly what he wants and doesn't seem to offer much of a solution to change things other than look pissed off. That's no good to us. That's not positive or "demanding better" in a constructive way. 

I just think Garner and Fondop - with the Boreham Wood game as an example - are always looking to work for the team and make things happen when the chips are down. 

I don’t understand why you think he doesn’t do anything when the teams playing poorly. Of course he’s going to be frustrated when his team mates can’t find a simple pass, he has high standards and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I’ve also responded to you before now with a number of examples of how he does help the team and contribute positively in tough moments.

As Ackey said, seems like we are both on the opposite end of the absolute. 

He’s loved at both Tranmere and Barnsley. He was at Tranmere for a sustained period but Barnsley he was there for a season. He was also liked at Ipswich. So why is it some of our fans are struggling ? He’s scoring every other game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t understand why you think he doesn’t do anything when the teams playing poorly. Of course he’s going to be frustrated when his team mates can’t find a simple pass, he has high standards and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I’ve also responded to you before now with a number of examples of how he does help the team and contribute positively in tough moments.

He’s loved at both Tranmere and Barnsley. He was at Tranmere for a sustained period but Barnsley he was there for a season. He was also liked at Ipswich. So why is it some of our fans are struggling ? He’s scoring every other game. 

I didn't know much about him before he came here, so can only really judge him on what I've seen here. I'm not arsed where he was loved previously, to be honest. 

I'm not at the absolute end at all. I can see what benefits he brings to a winning team. But then I can see the flaws which many seem blind to. 

Consider me grey!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I'm deep in Ipswich country - he wasn't that popular here

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

This just isn’t true. Joe, myself and others have all commented numerous times on his class, and his obvious ability. And it’s exactly because of this that we say- for someone of such ability to go missing when the team plays poorly isn’t great. We’d like like him to bring others with him, not point fingers and blame. (That isn’t absolute it’s a very balanced.) 

I would have him in my team all day and twice Sunday because there’s no-one better when it’s one chance in a game. But that doesn’t mean he’s perfect or there isn’t sides to his game that could improve. 

Your view is- he’s prolific, so the rest doesn’t matter or you don’t agree it exists. (That’s your absolute) 

The grey area as Ack puts it, is often where the truth lies. 

Edited by League one forever

Fondop and Garner are averaging two goals a game in pretty much the same team Norwood was starting in, prior to Norwood getting injured for a spell of about eight games since Stones left we didn't look like scoring from open play. Common denominator on the the goals scored front for me has been Stones and then Garner, with neither we looked toothless and that includes with Norwood and Fondop, Garner must start and it would be harsh to drop Fondop at the moment, although he frustrated me prior to bagging on Tuesday night.

Edited by yarddog73

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I just think as soon as he's fit again, he'll be back in the side. MM clearly likes him, it doesn't really matter what we think of him.

You could probably close the forum on the basis that it doesn't matter what we think!

• Bender unfeatured this topic