BPAS PODCAST: 19th Feb '24, S4E27: Let's Be Frank, Anything's Possible

Latics impressive away form continues as they produce one of their most convincing performances of the season, winning 1-3 at Maidenhead.

The playoffs are well and truly in our own hands now, as we discuss Wembley, Frank's amazing achievement, that pass from Sheron and the form of Garner and Fondop, from the comfort of lovely semi in Chiswick.

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

Laticsmind music by Matt Berry, produced at King Buzzard Studios in Shaw.

If we win promotion I am celebrating like mad why the hell anyone wouldn't I don't know.

Will it be our greatest ever on field achievement? ofcourse it won't but it might be our most pivotal as it will bring to an end 30+ years of failing to do that.

I don't get this whole oh it's only winning promotion from the National League we've suffered enough misery so when we get success I'm 100% going to enjoy it. Anyone who says it looks tinpot can go f@#£ themselves 

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we win promotion I am celebrating like mad why the hell anyone wouldn't I don't know.

Will it be our greatest ever on field achievement? ofcourse it won't but it might be our most pivotal as it will bring to an end 30+ years of failing to do that.

I don't get this whole oh it's only winning promotion from the National League we've suffered enough misery so when we get success I'm 100% going to enjoy it. Anyone who says it looks tinpot can go f@#£ themselves 

I'll be taking a week off work after we go up and going AWOL...

Winning at Wembley to mark our first promotion/trophy since 1991 and the proper start of our comeback would be massive. Huge. Fulham away x Liverpool.  As you say, strange that anyone would think otherwise...

On the podcast - Matt's right. Fondop and Garner play until it stops working. The fan guest gave a familiar incredulous stance on anyone who questions Norwood, but then pointed out the exact reason why some people have an issue with him! Not the not smiling/ social media thing - no one sensible gives a shit about that, but him going missing when the team don't play well. How do we know the upturn in form is because the midfield work better with the current strike force? 

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

Interesting chat on the strikers. For me, in a clutch game you have to play Norwood over pretty much anyone else, as long as he's 100% fit. I like Fondop and his all round game has really improved under Mellon. But on Saturday he missed 2 very good chances in the first half, but then got 2 more and scored. In a big end of season game, you might only get 1 or 2 chances so you need players on the pitch who are more likely to take that chance. But it'd be a great problem to have. 

On celebrations... I will 100% be sobbing uncontrollably and hugging strangers in the stand at Wembley if we win the playoffs!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Interesting chat on the strikers. For me, in a clutch game you have to play Norwood over pretty much anyone else, as long as he's 100% fit. I like Fondop and his all round game has really improved under Mellon. But on Saturday he missed 2 very good chances in the first half, but then got 2 more and scored. In a big end of season game, you might only get 1 or 2 chances so you need players on the pitch who are more likely to take that chance. But it'd be a great problem to have. 

On celebrations... I will 100% be sobbing uncontrollably and hugging strangers in the stand at Wembley if we win the playoffs!

Would agree with your views if  Norwood had not missed quite a few relatively simple snap chances for a man of his ability during the season.  Fondop for all his faults seems to have had a new leases of life recently and Garner has hit the ground running so it's open to debate and a good problem to have !  👍

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Would agree with your views if  Norwood had not missed quite a few relatively simple snap chances for a man of his ability during the season.  Fondop for all his faults seems to have had a new leases of life recently and Garner has hit the ground running so it's open to debate and a good problem to have !  👍

I don't get to many games but I reckon Norwood has had a 1 on 1 in all of them and not scored any.  Probably not a representative sample!

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Norwood gets in the positions to miss them more regularly than Fondop does that's why his goalscoring record across his career is far better. Considering the midfield and our ability to control games and create chance has been a weakness this season it remarkable that we have a striker who has scored as many as Norwood has.

That said if he was fully fit for tomorrow night I'd put him on the bench and let Garner and Fondop start as they've earned it based on Saturday.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I don't get to many games but I reckon Norwood has had a 1 on 1 in all of them and not scored any.  Probably not a representative sample!

Yes earlier on the season when he went 1 on 1 with the goalie I was confident he'd score ( Rochdale and Barnet being examples ) but recently he's missed a few as well as fluffing some from around or inside the penalty spot so I definitely wouldn't be rushing him back.

Edited by Bobledgersheart

Fondop's different to any of the others in his ability to brutalise opposition defenders, scare the living bejesus out of them and make them panic. If we lose Fondop we lose the long ball. For me it's Fondop and one other.

I hadn't seen much from Garner in his first couple of games, may have been as a result of watching on tv, or because we were poor in those games but he really shone as a clever player on Saturday. He's always trying to find space although we rarely found him with the pass but hopefully that will come. Cute finish for his goal, also won more headers than he could have been expected to given the size of opponents he was challenging. 

IF we carry on in this fashion it's a nice problem to have when Norwood returns, he can be reintroduced from the bench rather than rushed back.

I do think with Will Sutton and Nathan Sheron's performances on Saturday that we are seeing the value of competition for places, they both came back better than when they were left out.  

• Like 2

Just wonder whether Norwood was a bit off form in his last few games because the hamstring was being managed. Could explain him not quite looking as relaxed in front of goal than earlier in the season.

It's just a massive relief that him being out hasn't impacted on us. That's because the club are making the right signings, have appointed the right manager and the players are on board and stepping up when called on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

He got into the positions to miss the chances 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Yes earlier on the season when he went 1 on 1 with the goalie I was confident he'd score ( Rochdale and Barnet being examples ) but recently he's missed a few as well as fluffing some from around or inside the penalty spot so I definitely wouldn't be rushing him back.

First one was abut three minutes into the first game of the season.  

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Just wonder whether Norwood was a bit off form in his last few games because the hamstring was being managed. Could explain him not quite looking as relaxed in front of goal than earlier in the season.

It's just a massive relief that him being out hasn't impacted on us. That's because the club are making the right signings, have appointed the right manager and the players are on board and stepping up when called on.

I don't think it's a new thing - Newport away in the cup sticks in my mind.  Away against a team in the division above where we we got very little, we needed our star man on form and he missed our only two, pretty straightforward chances.

I'd say it not impacting us is a bit of an understatement. Fondop in particular brings a positive energy to the team and it looks like he's found someone on the same wavelength with Garner. We've also got a midfield who can hit moving strikers, rather than having someone only happy when he gets the ball in very specific areas.  No need to change a winning team.  Stick with it as long as it lasts.

50 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think it's a new thing - Newport away in the cup sticks in my mind.  Away against a team in the division above where we we got very little, we needed our star man on form and he missed our only two, pretty straightforward chances.

I'd say it not impacting us is a bit of an understatement. Fondop in particular brings a positive energy to the team and it looks like he's found someone on the same wavelength with Garner. We've also got a midfield who can hit moving strikers, rather than having someone only happy when he gets the ball in very specific areas.  No need to change a winning team.  Stick with it as long as it lasts.

I wouldn't be bringing Norwood straight back in after injury as there's no need. You can't argue with Garner and Fondop's contribution these last 2 games. The point I'm making is that if it came down to a single moment in a crucial game, who would you back out of the whole squad to be the one to take a chance? For me that's Norwood. But it doesn't mean Fondop should be cast aside as soon as Norwood is ready to step back onto the grass.

A stat that kind of backs that up is of his 7 goals this season only 1 has come against a team in the top 7. And last season it was 2 of his 11 goals. Of Norwood's 17 goals this season, 8 have come against the top 7. That's not absolute proof of course as there are a lot of variables. And I don't want this to be about me knocking Fondop, I'm not, I'm loving watching him play at the moment!

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

So did Fondop at Maidenhead,could have scored 5.

He did indeed. I think he's an example of a player who has been greatly improved by the current management team. Previous manager said that he couldn't manage 90 minutes, now he's doing it twice in a week. Previously he was a walking red card, now he still has all the passion but looks much less of a sending off risk. 

• Like 2

• Bender featured this topic
4 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

He did indeed. I think he's an example of a player who has been greatly improved by the current management team. Previous manager said that he couldn't manage 90 minutes, now he's doing it twice in a week. Previously he was a walking red card, now he still has all the passion but looks much less of a sending off risk. 

Cue Fondop walking next game after a rash challenge. (I do agree with you though). 

12 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

If the previous manager said it was raining, I'd still want to check myself...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Previously he was a walking red card, now he still has all the passion but looks much less of a sending off risk. 

Such an important point this. He barely looks like giving away a free kick these days but hasn’t lost anything from his game. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

He is as fit as the proverbial butcher's dog right now. Was looking as strong in the 90th minute as the 1st on Saturday and he deserves credit for that as much as those around him that have helped improve his fitness.

Impulse control also seems to have improved, as others have noted. I don't think he liked the stiff fine he received for the endlessly avoidable red he got at Solihull. Neither did Mrs Fondop going off the phone in!

I still think he's got a red in him because of the way he plays and the fact that he's in a battle with their centre halves. I think some refs get him, and some don't. Although the ref on Saturday wasn't perfect I really liked the spirit in which he referred the game - he let the players express themselves and didn't get in the way of the rather lengthy goal celebrations - it was a quiet word here and there, cards largely kept in his pocket, sensible. But I think Mike riles the more, er, punctilious officials.

But yeah, well done Mellon and Brabin, he does look a better player (although regular starts might have helped with that) and let's hope his partnership with Garner continues to flourish in the absence of Mr Norwood.  

• Like 1