Micky Mellon Sack Watch

I've had a feeling this season was wrote off by Mellon weeks ago when he realised the squad he'd still have to go with in League 2 if we got lucky in the playoffs, looking at the contracts we've given away this is probably a much bigger job than I first thought for him. I'm really hoping we don't renew any players who could be binned, giving the likes of Gardner and McGahey new deals would probably kill it for me.

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I've had a feeling this season was wrote off by Mellon weeks ago when he realised the squad he'd still have to go with in League 2 if we got lucky in the playoffs, looking at the contracts we've given away this is probably a much bigger job than I first thought for him. I'm really hoping we don't renew any players who could be binned, giving the likes of Gardner and McGahey new deals would probably kill it for me.

He said he wouldn’t waste Frank’s money. It’s early days but the permanent signings of Hammond, & Conlon look dubious to say the least and as I’ve said before, IMO the signing of 36 year old Garner who will be on a good wedge was not good business as we’d already brought in Dallas only 7 days earlier!!

Sachdev & especially Walker have been consigned to the bin already…..If he’d wrote off the season why would he have brought that lot in?

It suggests to me that they were proper going for it and it’s sensationally backfired!

It’s either poor management, poor recruitment, or poor players or a combination …. IMO, Stones is probably the only incoming player I can remember who has made any sort of impact apart from perhaps Hobson & Yarney since the Rothwell’s took over.

Edited by oafc1955

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He said he wouldn’t waste Frank’s money. It’s early days but the permanent signings of Hammond, & Conlon look dubious to say the least and as I’ve said before, IMO the signing of 36 year old Garner who will be on a good wedge was not good business as we’d already brought in Dallas only 7 days earlier!!

Sachdev & especially Walker have been consigned to the bin already…..If he’d wrote off the season why would he have brought that lot in?

It suggests to me that they were proper going for it and it’s sensationally backfired!

It’s either poor management, poor recruitment, or poor players or a combination ….Stones is the only incoming player I can remember who has made any sort of impact apart from perhaps Hobson & Yarney since the Rothwell’s took over.

Don't forget about our top scorer who has been brilliant and inspired all around him.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

He's already failed given his job was to finish in the top 7...

Have you made a sign yet?

Maybe something like - 

5PM- you’re having a laugh. 

Or 

3 months of failure and still they back him! 

Or Simply

Mellon out. 

Fact is we are pretty much where we were when he took over.

So 30 games in, it's clear to me he has not improved us as a team, his signings have been questionable at best based on their performance, and I can't think of any individuals who I can say have got better since his appointment. In fact it could be argued that we have gone backwards.

Needs to change quickly next season and he has lots to prove in my eyes...

His presser for the Dale game is grim, fucking hell he goes on about the squads deficiencies again and that anyone with a football brain can see its shortcomings yet he's had opportunity to bring in his own players already and now he talks of having to wheel and deal to bring more in, if we start next season with a similar midfield and lopsided defence and no pace on the flanks we might as well give up now.

Also strangely  harps on about the winless run and how we've played all the top teams recently, wow I didn't know we'd become a run of the mill NL club overnight and so accepting of our mediocrity, it's no wonder we can't beat the big clubs like Dagenham, Fylde and Aldershot when we see them as big clubs.

Is it any wonder the players have given up after they've listened to the drivel all week long.

Finally why is Reid training day in day out with the first team yet we can't even get him in a matchday squad, probably the only forward player we have left with any type of pace and he's scored about one a game whist he's been in the team. If he's not going to play again why the fuck is he training with us, fucking stupid decision given he's hardly going to be great to have around from a team moral point of view.

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

His presser for the Dale game is grim, fucking hell he goes on about the squads deficiencies again and that anyone with a football brain can see its shortcomings yet he's had opportunity to bring in his own players already and now he talks of having to wheel and deal to bring more in, if we start next season with a similar midfield and lopsided defence and no pace on the flanks we might as well give up now.

Also strangely  harps on about the winless run and how we've played all the top teams recently, wow I didn't know we'd become a run of the mill NL club overnight and so accepting of our mediocrity, it's no wonder we can't beat the big clubs like Dagenham, Fylde and Aldershot when we see them as big clubs.

Is it any wonder the players have given up after they've listened to the drivel all week long.

Finally why is Reid training day in day out with the first team yet we can't even get him in a matchday squad, probably the only forward player we have left with any type of pace and he's scored about one a game whist he's been in the team. If he's not going to play again why the fuck is he training with us, fucking stupid decision given he's hardly going to be great to have around from a team moral point of view.

Yean it’s a really disappointing interview. Says he doesn’t want to make excuses, but just makes excuses. Talks about inheriting the players and says ‘Oldham’ a lot, rather than ‘we’. Eludes to Walker & Sachdev not being ready for the team or system (not what he said in the articles when we announced their signings where he was bigging them up)

Sounded low energy and pessimistic. Listing the top teams we’ve played recently like Bromley was just embarrassing. What about Fylde, Kiddy & Dagenham? Are they top teams as well - coz we couldn’t beat them on this tough run. What about Chesterfield losing to Dorking, York, Kiddy & Halifax. Doesn’t that put our performance against them into perspective?

Good experiences managers should be able to inherit an imperfect squad and make a difference without making wholesale changes. We’ve seen Phil Brown & Steve Evans do it. Southend have had to work with what they’ve got. Gateshead have lost a manager and half a team but are still competitive. I’d like Melon to take more ownership of the situation because there’s enough there to be performing better than we are.

Edited by Sloshed Joe
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Londonboy said:

So 30 games in, it's clear to me he has not improved us as a team, his signings have been questionable at best based on their performance, and I can't think of any individuals who I can say have got better since his appointment. In fact it could be argued that we have gone backwards.

Were not though, as pissed off as we are we really need some perspective on this. He has come in and was up to 1.8 PPG at one point (now slipped to 1.52). The narrative that "he took over 3 point from the playoffs and now were not" doesn't hold up, easier to be near the playoffs in 15 games in than 42.

Disappointing but still an improved season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Surely him saying that suggests we wont start the season with no wingers or a right back 🤔😄

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Does anyone think Mellon has lost interest and is going through the motions? 

No. Think he is already planning for next season.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

His interviews are getting more and more depressing, inspirational he is not!! That’s a seriously worrying presser…..He’s got about 12 out of contract in June, if he can’t get a RB, a couple of wingers and a CM in and get a competitive team ready for August he shouldn’t be here!!

The way things are heading, I honestly can’t see him surviving beyond Christmas!!

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Not sure he's lost interest, but he certainly looks knackered by it all.

I think it's a much bigger challenge than he was expecting and isn't sure what his next move is, if he's pretty much dealing with the same players next season.  I'm not sure any manager could solve that issue, though..

Edited by JoeP

Shocking press conference. Referring to the team he's in charge of as 'Oldham' and 'they' in that context demonstrates a total disconnect that perhaps explains recent poor performances. He's the person in charge and cannot hide behind excuses and disassociate himself from his responsibilities like that. The guy needs a rocket up his arse and told to apolgise and explain his words to his squad. No way would I run through walls for him, a total dick.

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

His interviews are getting more and more depressing, inspirational he is not!! That’s a seriously worrying presser…..He’s got about 12 out of contract in June, if he can’t get a RB, a couple of wingers and a CM in and get a competitive team ready for August he shouldn’t be here!!

The way things are heading, I honestly can’t see him surviving beyond Christmas!!

Is any manager inspirational in an interview?

Every manager and footballer probably thinks media interviews are a complete and utter ball-ache.

Did you see Cole Palmer's interview after his hattrick last night?  All respect to the lad, but he was clearly uncomfortable being asked the same question over again, just phrased slightly differently..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Think we would have been fighting against relegation instead of being on the cusp of the playoffs without Mellon . You've clearly forgotten how bad it was under D.U.

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Is any manager inspirational in an interview?

He looks a beaten man and If he’s like that in the dressing room or on the training ground then God help us!!

Edited by oafc1955

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Not sure he's lost interest, but he certainly looks knackered by it all.

I think it's a much bigger challenge than he was expecting and isn't sure what his next move is, if he's pretty much dealing with the same players next season.  I'm not sure any manager could solve that issue, though..

Yeah, he just looks beaten with it . . which is disturbing given he’s only been here 6 months. There’s more and more little digs coming out- I wonder whether there’s some friction between him and the board about how many are tied down and how much movement he has. 

All just feels, ‘it’s shit and we can’t change it.’