"You're the scout"

As an ex scout I would be interested in who you think could be future stars.

They can be at any level - many of my discoveries have been from non league.

During the season I will post my thoughts on Latics players and tactics, and from other matches I attend.

Remember though its all about opinions...I was once told by a manager of a top flight club I worked for that a player I recommended from non league would never make the grade - even at football league level...the boy later signed for another club and went on to win many caps for England.

I would add though I have been wrong occasionally in my judgements too.

I am a great admirer of the work Tony Philiskirk does for the Latics juniors, not just in helping to produce promising players, but the way he conducts himself too.

Regards,

BP1960.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ex scout I would be interested in who you think could be future stars.

They can be at any level - many of my discoveries have been from non league.

During the season I will post my thoughts on Latics players and tactics, and from other matches I attend.

Remember though its all about opinions...I was once told by a manager of a top flight club I worked for that a player I recommended from non league would never make the grade - even at football league level...the boy later signed for another club and went on to win many caps for England.

I would add though I have been wrong occasionally in my judgements too.

I am a great admirer of the work Tony Philiskirk does for the Latics juniors, not just in helping to produce promising players, but the way he conducts himself too.

Regards,

BP1960.

That McLean at Peterborough who I think they signed from Grays, looks like he could play at a higher level.

You are right about TP professional to the course and he does seem to have a very good eye for Talent .

IMO TP is almost has important to the club as Shez.

In our reserves I believe Blackie is our best prospect, he reads the game well and makes himself available for the ball in space.

Dagnall at Rochdale I think can play at a higher level, unsure about Prem league thou ...

So you helped discover Platty hey :wink:

I know one.

He is not exactly what you will be thinking of, but he has "got it" even at such a young age.

The lad is called Joshua Halliday and his dad owns Cable comms who are one of the clubs big sponsors.

I watched the lad play football against kids a lot older than him and he was unbeleivable. His awarness of whats going on around him and ability to play the ball exactly where he should is unreal for a kid of 7. I have asked someone to see if he can get into the academy, but i know they dont take them until there 8, but this lad has deffinately got it.

Mark my words, this lad will make it.

Thanks, I will note all your recommendations.

Some great talent has emerged from Grays recently, Eastwood, Kightly and McLean. I may have a look at Grays tomorrow at Droylsden.

Chaddy, A player must be at least nine years old to join an Academy, but many clubs have development groups which cater for even younger players.

I agree Black looks a good prospect, I also liked what I saw of centre back Aaron Chalmers and striker Adam Edwards.

Many ask me what I look for player..there is no one answer, it can be a combination of several different things, however I do go for those who not only have good basic skills, but determination to succeed too (a vital factor IMO and often overlooked).

One manager I worked for used to ask;

1. Are they big ?

2. Are they quick?

I didn't really agree with his assessments of a player but would to try to find what he wanted.

After one match I sent in a report on a non league player - who I was convinced was a natural goalscorer... the manager of course asked me the above 2 questions.

He was quick, but only 5 foot 6 inches I replied..."That won't do" he said "forget him".

That same player went on to score over 200 goals in the football league, which only goes to show size doesn't always count.

Edited by BP1960

I saw adam play on wed against Stoke Res ... seemed to be able to find the space but his first touch didnt seem the best .

The number 8 that night (latic) seemed a good prospect, he must be a first year skol as I've not seen him before.

Your right about height, try telling SWP - Gordon Strachan et al that they were to small to make it .

My old coach Ted Burgin always said its the brain and the engine of a player that helps them succeed :wink:

Thanks, I will note all your recommendations.

Some great talent has emerged from Grays recently, Eastwood, Kightly and McLean. I may have a look at Grays tomorrow at Droylsden.

Chaddy, A player must be at least nine years old to join an Academy, but many clubs have development groups which cater for even younger players.

I agree Black looks a good prospect, I also liked what I saw of centre back Aaron Chalmers and striker Adam Edwards.

Many ask me what I look for player..there is no one answer, it can be a combination of several different things, however I do go for those who not only have good basic skills, but determination to succeed too (a vital factor IMO and often overlooked).

One manager I worked for used to ask;

1. Are they big ?

2. Are they quick?

I didn't really agree with his assessments of a player but would to try to find what he wanted.

After one match I sent in a report on a non league player - who I was convinced was a natural goalscorer... the manager of course asked me the above 2 questions.

He was quick, but only 5 foot 6 inches I replied..."That won't do" he said "forget him".

That same player went on to score over 200 goals in the football league, which only goes to show size doesn't always count.

Great to read your views BP1960 and I was pleased when I saw that you had signed up for OWTB. I'm sure you have a lot more of these stories and I for one have always enjoyed reading your thoughts on the Rivals Site regarding Reserve Team Players.

We are a friendly Community here though and nobody ever gossips. Consequently, feel free to identify some of these players that you have spotted in the past as your secrets are safe with us! B):)

Nice going so far.

I didn't go to the reserves v Stoke game, so I don't know who played at 8.

However, a lot can happen to players between the ages of 16 -18, this is where the determination to succeed comes in.

I once had one of the best 16 year olds I had seen as an apprentice at a Premier league club, 2 years later he gave it all up to join a rock band.

Glad to see Ashley Young called up for England, he has all the attributes skill wise and I just hope he takes his chance.

Edited by BP1960

Do they have to be young?

I'll harp on about the player I think we should have taken a risk on. He would have cost nothing and would solve our left midfierld probem if it turned out alright.

Andy Burgess of Rushden (briefly Oxford). Can play a set piece and a decent left midfielder at this level as he showed with Rushden when they were up.

Similar story to Stevie_J. During the closed door friendly against Middlesbrough, a young lad called Adam Johnson shone like a beacon for me. He was around 16/17 at the time but has since gone on to win caps at Endland U21 level and has featured in many Premiership games.

I wrote to Latics at the time saying they shold try and get him on loan but then again, that was under the Ronnie-Regime and so maybe he was too much of a footballer!

That McLean at Peterborough who I think they signed from Grays, looks like he could play at a higher level.

I was at Peterborough whilst most were watching Bristol do us. He was Peterborough;'s man of the match and looked a handful. He can ceratinly step up a division but I'm not sure if he could go much higher successfully.

Went to Droylsden to have a look at Grays.

The quick 23yo striker Aaron O' Connor seemed worthy of another look.

He has a goalscoring record of around 90 goals in 180 games, so he may just be another in the Grays production line.

I will keep an eye on his progress.

I was impressed with Mansfields forward John McAlaskey in the CC this year, he looked a bit like Torres from afar in appearance...looked to have good technique, and quite a bit of talent and was quite tall, caused us problems early on. He looked a bit raw but the kind of youngster I wouldnt mind seeing on our bench!

He did look useful Wozz.

I was very impressed with Stevenage central midfielder Adam Miller last night at Droylsden, he showed terrific work rate and mobility.

Tall and elegant, he could win the ball and use it too.

Problem may be he is 25 now, so he must he have lost his way somehow at QPR as he is quality without a doubt.

Mind you Davis Eyres was 26 before he turned full time professional.

I were a scout for Latics, Miller would certainly be recommended on that performance.

Adam Miller profile;

http://www.boroguide.co.uk/players/miller_adam.html

Edited by BP1960

BP1960 - as an ex-scout was just wondering how much mentality comes into play with youngsters? Theres loads of players out there who seem to be wasting an awful lot of talent. Do some players with all the technical ability in the world just find it impossible to transfer it on to the 11 a-side pitch on a saturday whatever their frame of mind?

Sorry for the questions!:) i could probably ask loads more too, im quite intrigued in exactly what people look for in a footballer!

BP1960 - as an ex-scout was just wondering how much mentality comes into play with youngsters? Theres loads of players out there who seem to be wasting an awful lot of talent. Do some players with all the technical ability in the world just find it impossible to transfer it on to the 11 a-side pitch on a saturday whatever their frame of mind?

Sorry for the questions!:) i could probably ask loads more too, im quite intrigued in exactly what people look for in a footballer!

As I play a fair bit of 5's, 7's and 11 a side I think I may be able to answer this. In 5 aside leagues the pace is pretty slow if you have any technique and know what you're doing so you can easily pick simple passes and keep the ball and get away with holding the ball a bit longer. Same goes for 7 aside to an extent. 11 aside at least on sunday league level is 100mph all the time. I play for a team where we all have a similar mindset and the majority of us have played for youth academies and the like at some point as well so we like to play it on the ground (conditions permitting of course!!!) so we generally look pretty good as individuals as well as we play a style that suits us. The problem is most sunday league teams and even teams that are semi professional play kick and rush alot of the time and alot of percentage balls so players with bags of technical ability are somewhat wasted and it comes more down to physicality and determination. The number of players I see on my 5 aside league who are real good players but then look lost on 11 aside is amazing as the tactics and style just leave them alienated.

That's how I see it anyway.

How do you become a scout ?

I did it by spotting an 18 year old amateur and wrote to a top flight club about him.

They took him on a 2 weeks trial, then signed him as a full time pro.

He later went on to play with them in Europe and is now in the England set up.

The same very week I recommended another 18 yo amateur player, who they actually turned down - he went on to become one of most dazzling wingers in the world.

They also turned down another semi pro I thought could still make the grade even at 26 years of age, because he possessed blistering pace, he went to play Premiership and International football.

This is the most frustrating thing about being a scout, you don't find many gems, so when they are turned down by the club and go on to great things with another outfit it makes you wonder if it's all worth the many many hours of standing on touchline's in the freezing cold and wet weather. It's not all as glamorous as it seems.

Another important aspect of scouting - besides individual assessments, is team assessments. i.e. tactics and the use of set plays. This believe me is really hard work, especially as sometimes players appear to take little notice of the mangers well laid plans.

As for the 5 aside and 11 aside game, it's really for the player to adapt, as in cricket some can deal with the shorter game better than the longer form of the game, some can't.

Edited by BP1960

• 2 months later...

One youngster who really caught my eye in tonight's Latics youth team F.A cup 4-1 win against Lincoln City was substitute striker Djeny Bembo Lita, who showed some silky skills and scored a nicely taken goal.

He's gone in my notebook as definitely one to watch. :)

BTW this is an earlier quote of mine.

I was very impressed with Stevenage central midfielder Adam Miller last night at Droylsden, he showed terrific work rate and mobility.

Tall and elegant, he could win the ball and use it too.

Problem may be he is 25 now, so he must he have lost his way somehow at QPR as he is quality without a doubt.

Mind you Davis Eyres was 26 before he turned full time professional.

I were a scout for Latics, Miller would certainly be recommended on that performance.

* Miller joined Gillingham this week.

Adam Miller

Edited by BP1960