LOTW - 6/9/07 - Richard Jobson

Stevie_J

lotwjobsonhg2.jpg

Welcome to the twentieth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's Richard Jobson.

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

Apologies for the two-week postponement of LOTW - my baby boy was born two weeks ago tomorrow so I've been a bit preoccupied!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Richard 'Jobbo' Jobson is another honorary member of BALLS (Burton-on-Trent Area Loyal Latics' Supporters), having been brought up in Rolleston-on-Dove and attended school in Burton.

Jobbo played as a central defender but could also play elsewhere.

He was Burton Albion's star midfielder and transferred to Graham Taylor's Watford in 1982-83. He made 28 League appearances (including 2 as sub) and scored 4 goals. He couldn't get a regular place in the Watford team and eventually moved on to Hull City three years later.

After 221 appearances for Hull he was signed by Latics for a club record fee in 1990. He made his debut on Saturday, 1st September 1990 in a 3-1 win at home to Portsmouth (aged 27). He brought a calm assurance and leadership to the defence (like Gregan did last season), and was a key player in the promotion to the old First Division. In those days we had a plan for corners. Jobbo would stand off the pitch (!) by the near post. As the corner was taken he stepped onto the pitch and flicked the ball over his head to the back post. From memory it was this routine which led to Neal Adams' goal in the Premiership defeat of ManUre - happy days! He was recognised as one of the best defenders in the country earning England B caps. Jobbo was with Latics from 1990 to 1995 playing 189 games (including 1 substitute appearance) and scoring 10 goals.

He moved to dirty Leeds in 1995, a year after Latics' relegation from the Premier League, but was never a regular choice and spent time on loan to Southend United in 1997-98. Later that season he rejoined his former boss Joe Royle at Citeh. He helped Citeh reach the Premiership with two successive promotions, but Big Joe decided that the 37-year-old Jobson was too old for the Premiership and he joined Tranmere. His only season at Prenton Park ended in relegation to Division One, and he then signed for Rochdale. He helped them qualify for the Division Three playoffs in his first season at Spotland, but rarely featured in the following campaign and retired in May 2003, playing the final game of his career just before his 40th birthday. By this date he was one of the oldest professional players in England.

In a football career spanning 21 years, Jobbo made over 700 appearances and was one of the gentlemen of the game.

Since retiring as a player, Jobbo has retained his football connections as a PFA executive. I think he may have represented Dabo in his contract termination case with Latics - even Jobbo couldn't defend against that one!

Thanks for all you did for us Jobbo - you were a credit to Latics and to Burton-on-Trent.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Have mentioned this before, but my Mum had a bit of a Thang for him. She held onto a quote by someone who said he was a 'Rolls Royce of a Defender', and used to call him 'My Richard'. She had a poster up inside her wardrobe of him.

And we had a cat called Jobbo :grin:

Edit: My mum didn't use to call him 'Richard', she used to call him 'My Richard'

Edited by maddog

Have mentioned this before, but my Mum had a bit of a Thang for him. She held onto a quote by someone who said he was a 'Rolls Royce of a Defender', and used to call him Richard. She had a poster up inside her wardrobe of him.

And we had a cat called Jobbo :grin:

Did she have a lift in his car? :grin:

Wasn't he known as "James Bond" in the dressing room?

Always smartly dressed; elegant; cool as a cucumber and (as Maddog's mum will testify) a bit of a favourite with the ladies.

Great player and probably my favourite Centre Half ever to play for Latics (alongside Paul Futcher).

He was by far my favourite Latics, and I'd even let him sleep my my missus.....and what the hell, and I'm not gay, I'd sleep with him :D .

Got one of his match worn shirts. True legend.

Best Centre Half I've ever seen in the blue shirt, worth every penny of the £460,000 Big Joe payed for him. Bumped into him in the John Milne in Milnrow last Christmas, and spent quite a while talking with him, he's a real gentleman. As has been pointed out he now does a lot of work with the PFA and now resides somewhere over Halifax way.

Richard 'Jobbo' Jobson is another honorary member of BALLS (Burton-on-Trent Area Loyal Latics' Supporters), having been brought up in Rolleston-on-Dove and attended school in Burton.

Jobbo played as a central defender but could also play elsewhere.

He was Burton Albion's star midfielder and transferred to Graham Taylor's Watford in 1982-83. He made 28 League appearances (including 2 as sub) and scored 4 goals. He couldn't get a regular place in the Watford team and eventually moved on to Hull City three years later.

After 221 appearances for Hull he was signed by Latics for a club record fee in 1990. He made his debut on Saturday, 1st September 1990 in a 3-1 win at home to Portsmouth (aged 27). He brought a calm assurance and leadership to the defence (like Gregan did last season), and was a key player in the promotion to the old First Division. In those days we had a plan for corners. Jobbo would stand off the pitch (!) by the near post. As the corner was taken he stepped onto the pitch and flicked the ball over his head to the back post. From memory it was this routine which led to Neal Adams' goal in the Premiership defeat of ManUre - happy days! He was recognised as one of the best defenders in the country earning England B caps. Jobbo was with Latics from 1990 to 1995 playing 189 games (including 1 substitute appearance) and scoring 10 goals.

He moved to dirty Leeds in 1995, a year after Latics' relegation from the Premier League, but was never a regular choice and spent time on loan to Southend United in 1997-98. Later that season he rejoined his former boss Joe Royle at Citeh. He helped Citeh reach the Premiership with two successive promotions, but Big Joe decided that the 37-year-old Jobson was too old for the Premiership and he joined Tranmere. His only season at Prenton Park ended in relegation to Division One, and he then signed for Rochdale. He helped them qualify for the Division Three playoffs in his first season at Spotland, but rarely featured in the following campaign and retired in May 2003, playing the final game of his career just before his 40th birthday. By this date he was one of the oldest professional players in England.

In a football career spanning 21 years, Jobbo made over 700 appearances and was one of the gentlemen of the game.

Since retiring as a player, Jobbo has retained his football connections as a PFA executive. I think he may have represented Dabo in his contract termination case with Latics - even Jobbo couldn't defend against that one!

Thanks for all you did for us Jobbo - you were a credit to Latics and to Burton-on-Trent.

Great post, Diego.

Burton on Trent and Oldham Athletic. The perfect combination :D

Best Centre Half I've ever seen in the blue shirt,

Couldn't agree more GoC, in over thirty years of watching Latics easily the best centre half to wear the blue shirt in that time.

Elegant and cultured defender who always seemed to have time and never seemed to panic or look flustered.

One of Joe Royle's best ever signings (and there were many good ones).

He is just what we need at the moment when we get corners, someone who attacks the ball and more often than not gets his header in if the cross is even half decent.

The part he played in our early 90's success should not be underestimated.

I believe he currently lives in Barkisland near Ripponden (West Yorkshire).

True Latics legend (and member of B.A.L.L.S).

And, I forgot to add, I know someone who taught him at school and I own his signed shirt from the Richard Graham testimonial match.

Agree with all the posts on here. A great player and a true gent.

I'm surprised that, so far, no-one has mentioned his great vocal performances on "Into The Valley", "Working For The Yankee Dollar" and "Woman In Winter".

I'm pretty certain that he was the last professional footballer to combine his career with that of a successful rock star :wink:

Great post, Diego.

Burton on Trent and Oldham Athletic. The perfect combination :D

Jobson's parents lived in the village of Rolleston, their house backing onto the school fields where I used to play on a Sunday, for Rolleston Rangers. Richard Jobson came and presented the awards at our Presentation Evening, travelling back to Burton after a home victory v Leeds to attend(we could have given him a lift!) I was obviously the most impressed of the lads at having Jobbo present the awards, although by the look of the photo my award was for dodgiest haircut - I'd post it on here but unfortunately my scanner is broken :wink::blush:

Jobson's parents lived in the village of Rolleston, their house backing onto the school fields where I used to play on a Sunday, for Rolleston Rangers. Richard Jobson came and presented the awards at our Presentation Evening, travelling back to Burton after a home victory v Leeds to attend(we could have given him a lift!) I was obviously the most impressed of the lads at having Jobbo present the awards, although by the look of the photo my award was for dodgiest haircut - I'd post it on here but unfortunately my scanner is broken :wink::blush:

Post it to me, I'll do it for you! :grin:

To be fair, the hair do couldn't be any worse than mine on that Nick Henry picture :blush:

Richard Jobson

Date of birth: 9 May 1963, Holderness, Yorkshire

Oldham Athletic record:

Appearances: League 188(1), FA Cup 13, League Cup 19

Goals: League 10, League Cup 1

Debut: Portsmouth (h) 1 September 1990, won 3-1

Also played for: Nottingham and English Universities, Burton Albion, Watford, Hull City, Leeds United, Southend United on loan, Manchester City, Watford on loan, Tranmere Rovers, Rochdale

Richard Jobson beagn his footballing career with Burton Albion of the Northern Premier League while studying for a degree in civil engineering at Nottingham University. Plucked from non-league obscurity by Watford's manager Graham Taylor as a 19-year-old, he was to enjoy a lengthy and highly successful 20-year career, retiring as a Rochdale player at the age of 40 in May 2003.

Thought you might like to read an extract from Burton Albion's on line history, especially as Colin gets a mention:

"Neil Warnock, the seventeenth manager of Burton Albion "swept into Eton Park...like a Sahara sandstorm - tough, gritty and abrasive." Accustomed to the class and style of Ian Moore's period of management, Warnock's arrival as manager was like a slap across the face with a wet fish, and the new incumbent wasted no time in discarding some of the dead wood Moore had left behind, to build a team in his own image. After a shaky start, Warnock's men began to make steady progress. A respectable, if hardly spectacular, seventh position in his first full season as manager was followed by third the following year, and the Club's first significant piece of silverware for two decades. The Northern Premier League Cup was a long way down the list of priorities for Albion fans, but nevertheless provided a rare opportunity for the popping of champagne corks in Albion's dressing room at Maine Road, Manchester, after they defeated Macclesfield Town 2-1, thanks to goals from Andy Harrison and ex-Macc lad Paul Fisher, in front of 2,538. Albion's "conveyor-belt" of talent continued to roll this season when young midfielder Richard Jobson was sold to First Division Watford for a then club record fee of £25,000."

Here you go.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1233/134582...be75031.jpg?v=0

Quiz question: Which one of these B.A.L.L.S.' members graduated from being a Latics' badge collector to become a badge dealer?

I also bumped into him and had a chat at the John Milne - Ghost of Ces - were you there the same time?

I will always remember Stuart Hall commenting "Richard Jobson, surely too classy for England" after a match at Stoke away. He then ended his summary with something like...."and as the shadows lengthen here at the Victoria Ground, so do our hopes and expectations...".

Quality comments, but Jobbo was PURE CLASS.