Next England Boss

philliggi

who will be the next england boss?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. who will be the next england boss?

• Steve Mclaren (he is too good to sack)
    • Harry Rednapp
    • Sam Allardyce
    • Jose Mourinho
    • Gus Hiddink
    • Martin O'neill
    • Alan Shearer
    • Martin Jol
    • Luis Scolari
    • Terry Venables (SACKED!)
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Paul Jewell
    • stuart pierce
    • Arsene Wenger
    • Steve Coppell
    • Steve Bruce
    • Fabio Capello
    • Marcello Lippi
    • John Sheridan
    • Other

It's a really difficult one who to choose for next England manager. If you pick a foreigner then you run the risk of them being scapegoated for not being English and allegedly not having the passion that an English manager (which is toss!). Whereas if you pick and Englich manager you run the risk of them being tactically inept lol!

I think the vast majority were against the appointment of McClaren, partly because he has never achieved anything at club level on his own (even with huge financial backing), but also because it seemed like there were so many other better choices on offer at the time. Just off the top of my head I can remember Allardyce, Curbishley and Pearce as 3 of the contenders at the time, all of whom were arguably better choices for the job. The main reason McClaren was picked was because he was the safe option.

Now looking forward, personally I would prefer a European coach, someone who can identify the weaknesses that the English game has. We all enjoy the fast pace that we see in the English game, but unfortunately that isn't the way that football is played on the continent and indeed throughout the world. It's all well and good saying well why do English teams do well in Europe then and bla bla bla, but in reality it is becaue they rely heavily on European players who can adapt to both games. In the Premiership you can give the ball away relatively cheaply because the opposition give you it straight back in a similar manner. That is the nature of playing direct football from the back. However our lack of technical ability and at times understanding of the tactical side of the game is found out time and again at international level when it is 11 Englishmen being forced to play a game at a slower tempo. Even against the Macedonians it was evident we lacked the quality to keep possession and build patiently from the back. We claim to have the best players in the world, but when it comes down to it we are severely lacking.

Personally I think it is a problem which stems from how players are scouted at a young age (at least from when I was young). Players who showed the technical ability and natural football brain who would be rewarded on the continent were overlooked for youngsters who were particularly strong physically, with the idea that big lads could be coached to play football. I'm now 21 and this was definitely how things were done when I was playing Sunday League although things may have changed in recent years. I think this has started to show on an international level as it is plainly obvious to me that technically the European nations who we are supposedly on the same level as are by far and away out of our league (looking at Spain and France etc). Even teams like Croatia who our media and pundits claim we are better than seem to have the edge on us. They keep the ball better, they use it better, they don't give it away cheaply and they make us work for openings.

All the evidence imo points to the fact that we just aren't as good as we think we are and that England needs to move forward with football into the modern game. We are living in the past where physicality and determination are enough. That is no longer the case and we need to realise that quickly. A Eorpoean manager like Mourinho might be the breath of fresh air that we need. We can't keep picking the 'best 11' and forcing them to play a system. We need to pick players that will fit into the system that the coach wants to play.

We need massive changes imo but then again we have done for years.

Who picked Scolari?! That guy, a good manager he may be, is a ******.

Unfortunately I dont think any English candidates are good enough so Id go for Mourinho or Lippi. My first choice would be Lippi. When Sven had the job the press kept saying " well he may be a club manager but he cant do it at international level." And that was the reason for us not being world beaters. Id like to find out the reson for us not being world beaters if we have a world cup winning manager in charge.

Who picked Scolari?! That guy, a good manager he may be, is a ******.

Unfortunately I dont think any English candidates are good enough so Id go for Mourinho or Lippi. My first choice would be Lippi. When Sven had the job the press kept saying " well he may be a club manager but he cant do it at international level." And that was the reason for us not being world beaters. Id like to find out the reson for us not being world beaters if we have a world cup winning manager in charge.

Good manager he maybe ???? So what if he is a :censored:,,,,Mclearn is a nice guy! Good manager no!! Whats important ??

Mourinho by a country mile. He's arguably the best manager around, it would be nonsensical not to appoint him.

In addition, his ego is so large that whilst other potential candidates could, and should, think 'is it worth it to be only to be destroyed by the media when we don't win the 2010 World Cup?', he'd see it as an opportunity to prove himself as one of the greatest of all time and live forever as a legend on these shores.

Failing that, Martin Jol. Definately not an Englishman, there's not a quality manager amongst them.

Good manager he maybe ???? So what if he is a :censored:,,,,Mclearn is a nice guy! Good manager no!! Whats important ??

Scolari's Portugal side is one of of the biggest set of cheat ever. I wouldnt want an England team to be like that. Plus, with Mourinho and Lippi in that list you have two managers who are better (I know the cheating argument doesnt hold up with them two but I really cant stand Scolari, and Portugal in the last world cup were worse than Italy for general diving and play acting, and worse than Chelsea have been for it.) Whats important is getting the right man. And Scolari is not the right man.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Scolari's Portugal side is one of of the biggest set of cheat ever. I wouldnt want an England team to be like that. Plus, with Mourinho and Lippi in that list you have two managers who are better (I know the cheating argument doesnt hold up with them two but I really cant stand Scolari, and Portugal in the last world cup were worse than Italy for general diving and play acting, and worse than Chelsea have been for it.) Whats important is getting the right man. And Scolari is not the right man.

i reckon O'Neil could do a decent job for us as well just gotta wait and see tbh

I think the vast majority were against the appointment of McClaren, partly because he has never achieved anything at club level on his own (even with huge financial backing), but also because it seemed like there were so many other better choices on offer at the time. Just off the top of my head I can remember Allardyce, Curbishley and Pearce as 3 of the contenders at the time, all of whom were arguably better choices for the job. The main reason McClaren was picked was because he was the safe option.

In a way, I feel for McLaren. Not coz I like him but because he is/was/always would be out of his depth. It's a sign of the English FA to appoint the cheap option and I was astonished when he was given a £2.5m contract. Not from day one was he good enough.....but you have to give him chance (so you're told) by those in favour. I did, but not for long but not because of him but because I'm sick to the back teeth of the FA making such glaring mistakes.

Back then, there was only one candidate (well two, but Hiddink was always Roman's next toy to buy).....Not McLaren with his Massimo Maccarone money signings who happily floods the Prem with foreigners. And neither Allardyce, who would try and slip a Greek into an England shirt and pass him off as a Neville if he could get away with it! But Alan Curbishley....someone who's brought youth right through a side and did wonders at Charlton for years. Someone who'd deal with egos, someone very strong minded and would admit his mistakes. Someone who with an inferior side can display the tactics to challenge a better one and a manager who will keep them grounded when playing a side, we know we should be beating.

McLaren was a head on collision waiting to happen. The FA employed him to drive the car....problem is, he bought the banger, filled it with the wrong passengers then took the wrong route on the journey. McLaren making the step up to England manager was like Ricky Butcher and Mark Arber making the step up to League One.....

I'd still have Curbishley now if we could get him. But I don't think his "stock" (word that I keep hearing about managers lately) is what it was. But at the Upton Park circus, it can't be an easy job to tackle at all. I do like the ideal of O'Neill too. But if the FA utter the name Allardyce....they can forget my support from Sunday onwards when the WC draw takes place. But tonight, I'm very saddened to think back to the summer of 1994 when we had no England team to cheer on and it makes me dread watching the Euro's now. I love football, but it'll hurt not to be in it.

Oh well....roll on the Home Nations Championship (or whatever :censored: they dream up).....with McLaren being pushed into another banger set for collision! You never know.......maybe the FA will ask Beckham to take over as manager next! Would anything they do surprise us???

Edited by boundaryblue80

I voted for Wenger as I think he is about the best manager around, but we have little or no chance of getting him right now.

More realistically Mourinho or Lippi could be immediate possibilities, I would just sway towards Lippi from these two.

I would love to see an Englishman appointed but there is absolutely no suitable candidates out there, so another foreigner it will have to be.

I personally would go higher than the manager and get rid of Brian Barwick, he presided over the appointment of McClaren and seemed to be the only person in the country that couldn't see that he was absolutely the wrong person for the job, which has now cost us qualification for a major tournament.

McLaren was always a poor choice. For the record I thought Ericsson did ok for England but by the end of his reign we had got sick of the negative type of football, so appointing "son of Sven" was never gonna work.

As for the way forward my first choice would be Wenger, but I think there would be little chance of him leaving Arsenal so I'm going for Mourinho. He's still a bit negative with his style of play but I just like the guy somehow. He has charisma and has the arrogance needed to stand the media.

As a real outsider I would love to see Venables back in the job. The best England team in my lifetime was the Euro 96 side, but somehow I feel his best days are past him now.

I voted for Wenger as I think he is about the best manager around, but we have little or no chance of getting him right now.

More realistically Mourinho or Lippi could be immediate possibilities, I would just sway towards Lippi from these two.

I would love to see an Englishman appointed but there is absolutely no suitable candidates out there, so another foreigner it will have to be.

I personally would go higher than the manager and get rid of Brian Barwick, he presided over the appointment of McClaren and seemed to be the only person in the country that couldn't see that he was absolutely the wrong person for the job, which has now cost us qualification for a major tournament.

I'm with you on that. There is only one man for the job and that is Arsene.

A tactical genius; clean; loyal and rated highly by the Selection Committee (ie English Press).

No chance of getting him though. He won't ever break a Contract (I hold him in massive regard for that) and Arsenal would never let him go since he is the best around and has built a dynasty.

I disagree regarding Barwick though. According to a lot of the vitriolic Press, he is doing a very good job and is let down by the rest of the FA Board who forced an early decision which lead to Maclaren being appointed in a rush rather than waiting for the right man. The committee also stopped the appointment of Martin O'Neill who was above Maclaren in Barwick's list of preferences (just behind Scolari). Phil Gartside (Bolton - err Sammy Lee and Gary Megson) and David Sheepshanks (Ipswich - err Administration and Years of failure) are the only two recognisable names on the Board.

The majority are amateurs and we know what happens when they are allowed to make decisions in a professional World!

I voted for Venables because the poll said "Who will be next manager" not "Who do I want to be"

Id like to see Mourinho but lets be honest, would he come considering he would have to manage us with alot of pressure for the next 3-4 years before even seeing a major tournament?

There is one glaring omission from the list above. An obvious candidate who was once seriously considered for the job and would without doubt bring a smile back to English football with the "we`ll score one more than you" attitude.

Its got to be Big Joes turn now!!!

KTF

Second choice or second chance Steve was never the right choice. Stupid choice in the first place.

Lippi would be an excellent choice but can he speak English? To think, Birmingham went for him this week. As if :grin:

Mourinho would be great but I can't see him being an international gaffer just yet. He's wise, he'll pick the right time to be an international manager.

Why is O'Neill always mentioned? I fail to see the attraction there. There are many top managers both in and out of work who'd take the job on. Just can't understand the O'Neill thing.

Guest oa_exile

Fabio Capello has also come into the running

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7107060.stm

Capello keen on England position

Former Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello has said he would be interested in the England manager's job.

Steve McClaren was sacked after England's 3-2 defeat by Croatia cost them a place at the Euro 2008 finals.

And Capello, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho are other potential contenders for the job.

O'Neill has been installed as the bookies' favourite but he was rejected by the FA after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Mourinho, meanwhile, has been out of work since leaving Chelsea in September following a dispute with Blues owner Roman Abramovich.

The Portuguese has the credentials to be successful, after winning back-to-back Premier League titles with Chelsea a season after clinching the Champions League with Porto, but may prefer club management to the international arena.

Capello is so far the only potential candidate to publicly declare an interest in coaching England.

The 61-year-old was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

However, Capello might prove to be a controversial choice to succeed McClaren, as his many successes on the pitch have been marred by some unsavoury episodes.

He led Roma to the title in 2001 - their first major honour in a decade - but then became embroiled in a dispute with club captain Francesco Totti, was accused of moving on key players and ended his spell at Roma with the club in danger of relegation.

Capello them became Juventus boss and led them to league titles in 2005 and 2006, but the club was stripped of their trophies because of their involvement in a match-fixing scandal.

Following that, Capello resigned as Juventus manager and joined Real Madrid for a second spell, where we again claimed the Spanish title in 2007.

But the success did not stop Capello from being dismissed by the Spanish giants, who were unhappy with his defensive style of play.

Venables has been sacked so my vote doesnt count now :(

Damn. I was hoping for more continuity.

I'm not sure Jose or Arsene are the men - Arsenal's success is all about him select, grooming :unsure: , developing and working with young players :unsure: over a number of years. I'll grant you he managed to get a lot more of of Donkey's generation than they had been capable of before, but that also required a cultural revolution and close work with them over a period of time. A few days before a few friendlies, with only half the players he picks attending, isn't going to be enough time to make Fatty play like Fabregas. Mourinho is different, but he is very picky about the players he works with and the qualities he looks for in them. He needs players who he can form a Special bond with, OK when you have a rather large chequebook behind you, but when there are only 40 Englishmen playing at the top level some weekends you need a manager who can get the most out of what he is given.

And he still needs shooting for the antics of his Porto team :angry:

O'Neill would be my choice if only he had less integrity, he just wouldn't stand for the crap the FA would expect him to take, which is why he didn't get the job first time.

Ronald Moore?