Carl Winchester !

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the only contender for the August player of the month. .....But September, he has got competition in big George. wears the badge for the whole team. Just needs his mate to come now.

He seems very much a team player on and off the field, playershares money has been put to good use

Teach maths its safer than all those silly letters.... oh Booger... Algebra.

I am a maths teacher, I don't disagree with Fry, but like in maths you need to have rules in language to define meaning.

4 + 3 × 5 = 60 if I want to change the meaning I can add brackets (4 + 3) × 5 = 35.

Using the classic Lynne Truss (now she is head of the grammar police) book title. "The bear eats shoots and leaves" refers to the bear's diet. Add a comma "The bear eats, shoots and leaves" can now mean a crime in a cafe (or a brothel if you prefer the old joke). I merely, frustratedly asked for commas to be used so that I could avoid having to read it three times to guess the meaning.

I am a maths teacher, I don't disagree with Fry, but like in maths you need to have rules in language to define meaning.

4 + 3 × 5 = 60 if I want to change the meaning I can add brackets (4 + 3) × 5 = 35.

Using the classic Lynne Truss (now she is head of the grammar police) book title. "The bear eats shoots and leaves" refers to the bear's diet. Add a comma "The bear eats, shoots and leaves" can now mean a crime in a cafe (or a brothel if you prefer the old joke). I merely, frustratedly asked for commas to be used so that I could avoid having to read it three times to guess the meaning.

The World War 1 miscommunication;

Send reinforcements. We are going to advance.

Send three and fourpence. We are going to a dance.

Edited by BP1960

If you want to be right 4 + 3 x 5 = 19

Comma comma comma comma comma chameleon; you come and go, you come and go...

If you use a standard calculator it will say 4+3x5= 35

If you use a scientific calculator it will say 4+3×5=19

I put 60 in as a deliberate mistake, and none of you spotted it.

You can lead a brain to wonder, but you cant make it think

Edited by L1onheartNew

I added brackets into an equation for the first time on Sunday and the wife nearly killed me. The TV fell off the wall.