Best goal scored by a Latics player.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Reuben Hazell vs Leeds.

Hit it like a bullet and the curl on it - off both posts.

At Elland Road too.

2. Simpson vs Liverpool

Hazell's was a great goal but surprised everyone because it was Hazell who hit it. Simpson's was decent but was ten times better because it was at the Kop at 0-0.

Furman tops it for me though, just for the team move before.

My Grandad raves about Holden's goal v Birmingham in the '90 cup run, anyone remember it?

Yeah, it's on a Youtube compilation of 'Tricky' Ricky somewhere. Takes on more-or-less the entire Brum team who defended deep all match and casually slots it past the keeper. It was a sorta cross between John Barnes at the Maracana and Michael Owen vs Argentina at the 1998 World Cup. Absolute class, and on the plastic which was always difficult to control the ball because of the bounce and speed made it even more remarkable. It was the only goal in the match too and set us up for another unforgettable cup run.

I dunno, goals are different in different ways aren't they? The breathtaking piledrivers that are hammered from miles out, the solo efforts that takes acute skill and ball control into account and then there are the one-touch team passing goals. My favourite has always been Andy Ritchie's down at Brighton during the promotion season. Brilliant control and a vicious shot that zipped into the top corner. Loved Marshall's vs Notts County in 1992 too just for the fatc that he absolutely smashed it from about 40 yards out and it never went above ankle height. Completely unstoppable.

That's the one that springs to mind for me. Left footed at the RRE, 30 yards out, top bin. Can't remember who it was against though :lol:

Think it was against colchester when we won 4-1 at home in the Wadsworth season.

For an out right stonker blasts Marshalls 40 Yarder which broke the speed of sound is still the best live goal I have ever seen.

First goal I was wowed by was Tommy Wright's 'van Basten' volley in a 4-2 win against Leeds in the League Cup in 1987. Saw it live and re-watched it time and again on an old VHS recording of the highlights off the TV.

One I have only seen on telly was Roger Palmer dinking and curling a low right-footer into the corner of the RRE net on a muddy pitch. Wish I knew who it was against as I'd love to see it again. Probably not as good as I remember it.

Winner for me though has to be Tricky Ricky's overhead kick against Newcastle at St James' Park.

Alan McNeil's half volley from the half way line against Blackburn at Ewood Park in the 70's. Put us one up and then Maureeeece Whittle had to go in goal for about the last half hour but we held on to win. Brilliant goal that outshone that Beckham effort of several years ago. From the days when midfield players attacked. Thanks for the memory Alan it will always stay with me.

Nick Henry V Arsenal ltllewoods cup 1990 ... perfection

Rubes V Leeds ... Stunning

And for sheer sheer Joy ........ Halloran V ????? was it daggers and Redbridge ? and Richies last second equaliser V Southamptin

That was very special. I nearly passed out with over excitement! On the fence going absolutley ape. Even my mother spotted my rather deep purple jacket on the telly. Pity for the thousands locked out. Barlow's nearly killed us on the trip home thanks to a blow-out. Got back early morning, but nobody cared.

I can't argue with any of the choices on here. But i still have two other special moments. The first was when Roger broke the goals record at Brimingham. The other goes back to the 1970s. Simon Stainrod against Preston. Great run from the halway line. It was disallowed, so he did it again! Happy days.

Alan McNeil's half volley from the half way line against Blackburn at Ewood Park in the 70's. Put us one up and then Maureeeece Whittle had to go in goal for about the last half hour but we held on to win. Brilliant goal that outshone that Beckham effort of several years ago. From the days when midfield players attacked. Thanks for the memory Alan it will always stay with me.

I was just checking through all the posts to see if this one had been mentioned,like you I can still remember it clearly.

As well as the coach home being stoned that is!!

Edited by owdumer