Top Away Following

Seen Scunthorpe and Fleetwood took around 500 away fans to their play-off first legs tonight.

On TV, Thursday night, whatever. How can so few people be arsed about a play off game? Have we been that deprived of success or is that piss, piss poor?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's piss poor. 

12 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Seen Scunthorpe and Fleetwood took around 500 away fans to their play-off first legs tonight.

On TV, Thursday night, whatever. How can so few people be arsed about a play off game? Have we been that deprived of success or is that piss, piss poor?

I'd say it's piss poor. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

I'd say it's piss poor. 

I'd say it's piss poor. 

If we got to that poverty level of away followings I'd stop bothering altogether

Imagine how demoralising that must've been for the fans who went

You might say tha away followings were poor, but, the fans didn't know who or where they would be playing until the final whistle went on Sunday, last minute notice to get time off work to travel for a Thursday early evening, also for Fleetwood 500 is nearly 20% of there support.

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

You might say tha away followings were poor, but, the fans didn't know who or where they would be playing until the final whistle went on Sunday, last minute notice to get time off work to travel for a Thursday early evening, also for Fleetwood 500 is nearly 20% of there support.

They did know they were playing that day, though

20% of your support to a play off game is shite though. I'd expect we'd take at least 40-50% anywhere, and 100%+ to the local ones.

If you can't be arsed dragging yourself to a play-off game you might as well not bother

Edited by NewBlue

28 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

They did know they were playing that day, though

20% of your support to a play off game is shite though. I'd expect we'd take at least 40-50% anywhere, and 100%+ to the local ones.

If you can't be arsed dragging yourself to a play-off game you might as well not bother

I'm sorry but for a midweek game for some it is difficult due to work commitments to even get to home games, finances play a big pArt as well, if it's a toss up between a midweek trip to milwall or take a chance you get to the final and blow out at wembley it really is a no brainer.

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I'm sorry but for a midweek game for some it is difficult due to work commitments to even get to home games, finances play a big pArt as well, if it's a toss up between a midweek trip to milwall or take a chance you get to the final and blow out at wembley it really is a no brainer.

Ultimately our home support is similar to Scunthorpe, Oldham is hardly much more prosperous than Scunthorpe, but we'd have taken double

Just now, NewBlue said:

Ultimately our home support is similar to Scunthorpe, Oldham is hardly much more prosperous than Scunthorpe, but we'd have taken double

Not denying that, but just because our fan base is a little more prone to travelling I do nt think we should be having a dig at other teams fans for being a little more restrained.

8 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Possibly more - we took 800 to a dead rubber at a Sunday lunchtime!

I get the point about finances, time off work and not really knowing when or where you're going to be playing until the match before, but this has always been the case with the play-offs.  Tend to watch most of the play-off games in years gone by and am struggling to remember a club being so poorly represented at this level..

2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

We took about 3,000 to QPR in similar circumstances.

I think we took 2k, we knew where we were playing 10 days before the game so a lot more time to arrange travel, and it wasn't on the telly

On Fri May 05 2017 at 9:03 PM, Steve_R said:

I think we took 2k, we knew where we were playing 10 days before the game so a lot more time to arrange travel, and it wasn't on the telly

We had both tiers and there wasn't room for everyone (weren't there a fair few snides about?). We'd have done for better than any of the other sides involved this year.

On Fri May 05 2017 at 10:10 PM, Ritchierich said:

Oh great, thanks, its taken me years to get their winner out of my mind!!

Being too young for the Leeds goal and being a foolish 10 year old optimist after Hughes' equaliser, Furlong's goal was as bad as football ever made me feel.

Edited by longtimeblue

5 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Being too young for the Leeds goal and being a foolish 10 year optimist after Hughes' equaliser, Furlong's goal was as bad as football ever made me feel.

It was 'orrible, there's no mistaking it...... but I think I suffered PTSD after Hughes' goal......

On 2017-5-5 at 4:11 PM, disjointed said:

We took plenty to QPR on a Wednesday night.......

24 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

We took plenty to QPR on a Wednesday night.......

Think we sold out? I remember not being able to get a ticket and watching it in the RRE on a big screen with no sound or score graphic. Remember for ages during the game thinking we'd equalised with a Wayne Andrews goal (that was either not given for a foul or it looked like it went in). Sad times ha.

Edited by Oafc88

On 7 May 2017 at 11:02 AM, longtimeblue said:

Being too young for the Leeds goal and being a foolish 10 year old optimist after Hughes' equaliser, Furlong's goal was as bad as football ever made me feel.

I was there for all three :( but on the other hand was also there for Ritchie's injury time equaliser at Southampton in the League Cup, Marshalls goals at Ipswich to secure promotion and a whole host of other memorable moments.....for those of us over a certain age it kind of balances out but for anyone under 25 I applaud your patience and loyalty as the last 10 years or so has been pretty hard going !!   

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, disjointed said:

Not denying that, but just because our fan base is a little more prone to travelling I do nt think we should be having a dig at other teams fans for being a little more restrained.

Never underestimate how little Oldham fans needs to pat themselves on the back when they consider themselves superior to other clubs.

The club itself cant do right for doing wrong, the fans though especially those that travel are something special....just ask them they will tell you. In fact you don't need to ask...

4 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Never underestimate how little Oldham fans needs to pat themselves on the back when they consider themselves superior to other clubs.

The club itself cant do right for doing wrong, the fans though especially those that travel are something special....just ask them they will tell you. In fact you don't need to ask...

One of few things to be proud about in the last few years.

I do often wonder how you can have such a persistent resentment for your own fans and still bother going.