Players offered new deals...

Historically, when players have been offered new deals it seems as though their decisions have taken an age to be confirmed either way, despite 'deadline dates' allegedly having been given.

We have become used to the club commenting on individual player's futures along the lines of:

"We are still waiting to hear from xx despite the deadline date having passed."

"He has been offered a contract on reduced terms and we are still waiting to hear from him."

"xx is still on holiday but we are hopeful of a positive answer on his return"

"We believe xx is looking for a better deal elswhere but we still hope he agrees to stay"

I accept that Winchester was always an exception to this, but it didn't surprise me.

Wilson, Kettings, Green, Tope and Edmondson: No messing about with this lot,  I expect they will all agree terms by the deadline provided and Shez can then crack on with further recruitment in good time for Tandle Hill day.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't agree with that about the club commenting on players who were deciding...last May was spent mostly hearing nothing before finding out our players weren't rejoining through them turning up at Sheff Utd or Bradford etc to sign a new deal with them.

I agree that Shez won't accept any nonsense tho and a date will be given for a yes or no.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I did say historically, but yes BB, I agree that last season was the exception to the rule and still to this day I cannot fathom what that was all about.

However, before that, it did seem that contrary to what was said, we had no control over the timing of what ultimately seemed to be that the majority of players left for reasons which probably meant more £ elsewhere.

The 5 involved this time seem to fit collectively with the momentum of progress we are seeing under Shez, rather than have individual standout ability which would significantly improve another team.

they are not Prima Donna's, they are valued team members and as such should commit ASAP for the good of Shez and the rest of the squad.

I'd expect most of that bunch to extend their deals. Green and Wilson are both seasoned pro's towards the end of their careers and are based relatively close to area. They'd only move on if another local club came in for them. Tope has played under Shez before and knows him well. Kettings will be picking up a wage solely for warming a bench and playing against Blackburn reserves behind closed doors once in a blue moon. Edmondson signing on all hinges on any possible interest from elsewhere. If he does move on we'll be due compensation.

I am surprised that people are so confident about these guys all signing.

It all depends what they are offered elsewhere. I can certainly see Wilson having other offers and quite possibly Green too. Wilson is in a particularly good position having had a decent season and knowing that we will be quite desperate for him to re-sign. If he gets a sniff that someone else is thinking of offering him a better deal I can't see him worrying too much about a deadline. If it doesn't happen for him and he comes back a week or two after any deadline, do we really think Shez/Corney will have withdrawn the offer?

27 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

It all depends what they are offered elsewhere. I can certainly see Wilson having other offers and quite possibly Green too. Wilson is in a particularly good position having had a decent season and knowing that we will be quite desperate for him to re-sign. If he gets a sniff that someone else is thinking of offering him a better deal I can't see him worrying too much about a deadline. If it doesn't happen for him and he comes back a week or two after any deadline, do we really think Shez/Corney will have withdrawn the offer?

If they've got a more cost effective option, yes.

Wilson moved here originally from Colchester to be back home in the north . Unless he gets a two year deal and a significantly better financial package elsewhere, I think he'll sign what we've offered him . 

Green is also a northern lad and will not want to uproot at his age . 

Have either of the above done enough to attracted interest from another northern club with better resources than us ?

id like to think Corney and Shez have rewarded their performances & professionalism with at least terms close to their existing ones .

I think Tope is most likely not to re-sign . 

I think last year was the exception because the club had next to nobody signed, was in a double weak negotiating position due to lack of a team and the manager situation, and they were too scared to announce yet another departure.

I do think some of the focus has been restored, and not having a rookie manager (again) and the Corney relationship with Shez  means it will be much more straight forward this year.
Both SC & Shez have said decent signings are targetted so it will all just be got on with without a fuss

1 minute ago, GravityGrave said:

Looking at Tope's career, who's going to realistically chase him? He's the sort of player that managers look at when they're a bit desperate near the end of summer.

3 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Looking at Tope's career, who's going to realistically chase him? He's the sort of player that managers look at when they're a bit desperate near the end of summer.

Teams who have seen him play for us in the run in ? Plenty of pace , technically sound , versatile and two goals both scored in vital games . 

4 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Was just going to say the same. He seems to keep clubs hanging on for a great deal and then has to settle for basic elsewhere from his previous club list. 

38 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

Me too. I heard a whisper that some of the offers made represent a wage decrease compared to their current contracts. If that's the case they will undoubtedly at least look around for other options before commiting to us.

7 minutes ago, GravityGrave said:

4 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I like Tope. He has skill and pace going forward and has shown in his time with us that he can play the wing back role to good effect. Hopefully he will sign.

15 minutes ago, GravityGrave said:

Teams who have seen him play for us in the run in ? Plenty of pace , technically sound , versatile and two goals both scored in vital games . 

I like him, but who would pin their hopes on him given his career to date? I have a feeling he's one that will have his peak at our place.

57 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

I like him, but who would pin their hopes on him given his career to date? I have a feeling he's one that will have his peak at our place.

If he starts off next season like Forte did a couple of seasons ago from a wide left position he will do for me. He does look as though he has goals in him and he's one of the more exciting players to watch as well. I'd be disappointed if he didn't sign as he could be a useful player for us.

2 hours ago, Latics and England said:

Wilson and Green won't be getting pay increases at this stage in their careers infact this might be the last professional contracts that they get, with us or anyoneelse Tope's career has been chequered so far and Edmondsons is just a kid who has barely played any league football, if none of them sign then the chances are they will end up in league 2 or lower. It would be a bad sign if we couldn't get these players to sign for us and aslong as we are being reasonable. 

My worry is that we once tried to get Wilson to leave to Notts County to get his wage off the books. Can't see us offering the same as his current deal. I'd say the best we could hope for is this being a 50/50 decision. I could see a Fleetwood or Scunthorpe (providing they don't go up) coming in for him. Or even someone like Blackpool (regardless of if they come up.)

What we also need to remember with regards to deadlines and decisions is we've finished the season a week earlier. I don't expect to hear much on the offers for a couple of weeks minimum.

Edited by boundaryblue80

31 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wilson and Green won't be getting pay increases at this stage in their careers infact this might be the last professional contracts that they get, with us or anyoneelse Tope's career has been chequered so far and Edmondsons is just a kid who has barely played any league football, if none of them sign then the chances are they will end up in league 2 or lower. It would be a bad sign if we couldn't get these players to sign for us and aslong as we are being reasonable. 

This. Unless we're really shafting them on terms, I would be slightly surprised if Wilson and Green wanted the upheaval of moving again at the end of their careers. Obadeyi needs to prove he can perform consistently rather than constantly moving around. Edmundson I could see moving on but I don't think he's yet shown enough for a definite upwards move, in which case he may as well stay here and fight for a place where he's already wanted.

2 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Gerrard and Holloway/Flynn - those two will be marginal

I would've said Flynn as 2nd highest. And has been a total waste of money. Gerrard, I reckon we have had the upper hand on the negotiations (him being clubless) and got him a little bit cheaper.