Summary of Questions Received - "Ask the Chairman"

Guest nonaenever

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you do, without any true understanding of the situations because it's your opinion that's all. Why don't you actually get involved and meet the people, speak with people in the know? Typing on social media site can be hard to judge the tone If you know what I mean. There is an open invite to meet the chairman and you can always attend a trust event, meet up with one of us on match days if that's easier if you want.

Get involved, help to change things

I have a pretty good understanding of our situation and have no real appetite for being 'In the know', you see that's part of the problem those in the know are doing very little to prevent :censored: storm after :censored: storm so maybe a whole different approach is needed, what's with all the secrets and the apparent cloak and dagger approach where info's only divulged when push comes to shove, I'm not just referring to the Chairman here but the Trust itself. People view the Trust in a similar way they do the Chairman and as much as everyone works for free and are all fans of the club it doesn't in my opinion really do the job it was intended to do.

As for a meeting with Simon, what's the point of speaking to him? its a one man band and a bad one at that, is the club run in an autocrat manner? Who knows but you can ask the man a million and one questions and it won't matter a jot because he will do it his way and there lies the problem, 7 manager in 17 months (most under contract) a total annihilation of last seasons playing squad where of the five retained three are now playing non league and the other two are unused subs most weeks, club staff not being paid and a transfer embargo in place for multiple financial breaches, I wouldn't really be channelling my attention into meeting a few disgruntled fans in that position I'd be trying my best to steady the ship, but eh oh if he wants to set of the chaff and distract attention away from the shocking way he's running the club then let him fill his boots.

I have a pretty good understanding of our situation and have no real appetite for being 'In the know', you see that's part of the problem those in the know are doing very little to prevent :censored: storm after :censored: storm so maybe a whole different approach is needed, what's with all the secrets and the apparent cloak and dagger approach where info's only divulged when push comes to shove, I'm not just referring to the Chairman here but the Trust itself.

While it's :censored:e that we haven't paid Rochdale, had to quickly cobble £300k together for HMRC and are under a transfer embargo why on earth do you think they should/would divulge such information without having to?

And did you not feel better as a fan without knowing all of that? I know I did.

I'd like them to tell us good news only.

As for a meeting with Simon, what's the point of speaking to him? its a one man band and a bad one at that, is the club run in an autocrat manner? Who knows but you can ask the man a million and one questions and it won't matter a jot because he will do it his way and there lies the problem, 7 manager in 17 months (most under contract) a total annihilation of last seasons playing squad where of the five retained three are now playing non league and the other two are unused subs most weeks, club staff not being paid and a transfer embargo in place for multiple financial breaches, I wouldn't really be channelling my attention into meeting a few disgruntled fans in that position I'd be trying my best to steady the ship, but eh oh if he wants to set of the chaff and distract attention away from the shocking way he's running the club then let him fill his boots.

When it comes to 'steadying the ship' it also involves the fans. Numerous of which inc some who found a voice have been kicking up more of a stink than usual. The chairman speaking to the fans can help with some of the recent unrest whether you agree with it our not.

There are more aspects than financial ones to running the club. An hour with a fans rep shouldnt see us sink

Do all the board put money into the club?

That is one of the problems. They don't, they are just appointed, and may give up a bit of their time now and then. In exchange they get to sit in the best seats in the house for free, home and away.

At one time all board members invested money in the club, and had votes accordingly.

I didn't really explain it did I, apologies...

Yep we have monthly trust board meetings and notes are published but does the club?

It was the football club board meetings I was querying, and I assumed that Simon Brooke should be attending and asking why they are not happening if they aren't.

I have also looked for Trust meeting minutes but can't see any on the site since the June AGM

I think the days of a wealthy local fan helping out here and there with the odd bill for a seat on the board are gone, I'm sure some of those who enjoy the title of director at our club contribute in there own ways but financially I'd say it's minimal.

I can contribute in my own way without putting any money in, how do I become a director?

Edited by BP1960

At the end of the day, this club could disappear without trace and nobody in the wider world would give a :censored:.

You can argue that Mr. Corney has overseen a decline in the 12 years or so that he has been at the helm..

On the other hand, you could argue that he, and he alone, has had his finger in the breach to keep us in league 1.

I tend to support the second notion, if only for the following reason -

No other :censored:er has ever put their money where their mouth is.

C'mon, haters, who do I put my money on?

At the end of the day, this club could disappear without trace and nobody in the wider world would give a :censored:.

You can argue that Mr. Corney has overseen a decline in the 12 years or so that he has been at the helm..

On the other hand, you could argue that he, and he alone, has had his finger in the breach to keep us in league 1.

I tend to support the second notion, if only for the following reason -

No other :censored:er has ever put their money where their mouth is.

C'mon, haters, who do I put my money on?

Some supporters have hardly missed a home game for 60 years, can anyone give a rough idea of how much they have contributed to the club in admission money alone over such a period?.

Very fair point, BP1960 - 40years in my case. But it's just a failing business at the moment and there is no knight in shining armour around the corner.

At a guess, the next 10 years are going to be very, very hard for everybody. I'm tired of labels - be it "Up Corney's arse" or "Negative :censored:e". Can we just be objective and discuss realistic

options?

Edited by piglinbland

Very fair point, BP1960 - 40years in my case. But it's just a failing business at the moment and there is no knight in shining armour around the corner.

At a guess, the next 10 years are going to be very, very hard for everybody. I'm tired of labels - be it "Up Corney's arse" or "Negative :censored:e". Can we just be objective and discuss realistic

options?

It seems to me the only option is a billionaire owner (millionaires would be bankrupt in a season).

It was the football club board meetings I was querying, and I assumed that Simon Brooke should be attending and asking why they are not happening if they aren't.

I have also looked for Trust meeting minutes but can't see any on the site since the June AGM

Hello Real, they are not as regular as trust ones. With regards to trust notes, Octobers were approved in Nov meeting and Nov notes have been typed up to be approved in Dec meeting. I have missed a couple of meetings before nov, and I'm unsure if we switched from every two months to monthly but I will check/raise that the website is updated

Cheers

Guest nonaenever

Personally I would prefer the questions to be asked by 2,3 or 4 fans, which is what SC asked for An open forum could get out of hand and we would not get as much out of him as we would with close questioning by a small number of people who can have a pleasant discussion with him. He will offer far more answers if he doesn't feel threatened.

al_bro - very astute! The Chairman was good enough to phone me today and, on conference with Mark Moisley, we talked for an hour. As you point out, he re-iterated that the above was what he had offered; and in particular wanted some of the most "vocal" detractors to step up to the plate for an honest question and answer session. I explained that, thus far, none of the detractors were prepared to do that and outlined the current position.

He was very open and honest. Without going into detail, he does put money into the club (considerable amounts) and it was interesting to gain an insight into just how difficult it is to manage the finances when you compare annual incomings to outgoings. Some things he clarified immediately e.g. the club receives all the car park monies, all the "box" monies from the North Stand and all North Stand match day revenue. Projected income at the moment from the North Stand to the club is circa £200-£300k per annum. That might improve, for example, when the supporters' bar opens. It will certainly improve if we get more pay on the day supporters. Apologies if some already know this North Stand info but this was a common subject of the questions emailed to me for the "Questions for the Chairman".

It's clear that he works tirelessly for the club; particularly in seeking a sale/investment from elsewhere and I don't think anyone would envy his hectic travelling schedule in this regard - he was flying out yet again this afternoon (and not back to the US). He's a very decent fella to speak to - down to earth and certainly appears sincere. He really appreciates and respects the fans but feels, in this social media age, the ultra negative voices are too infectious. We discussed some ideas around improving match day experience and he's all for ideas and improvement - and will gladly help implement them when he can (my own comment - this has to be an area where the Trust could really make a difference?).

Anyway, without detailing the small stuff too much, he would love fans to get involved in any way they can to generate interest/investment. Many will have business contacts - he would love people to come up with leads in this regard. He also mooted the idea of fans gaining control of the club and said words to this effect :-

"If you can find 500 fans who will pay £5,000 each then I will sell a 75% shareholding in the club - and the fans can run it"

He clarified such a sale would be on a "debt free" basis and with a guarantee of the "North Stand income arrangement". So, £2.5M to sell a 75% shareholding for a debt free new start with a level of guaranteed income certainly puts into perspective some of the figures that have been banded about regarding the "valuation of the club". Bearing in mind their initial outlay of £1m and directors' loans of circa £5M/£6M since, this should also answer a raft of questions around whether "they are prepared to lose money". The emphatic answer is yes "they" are - ultimately for the good of the club.

Of one thing I am certain - the Chairman's proposition was serious. Please don't just immediately dismiss it - with calm, mature reflection and the correct approach - this is achievable. If it happened, of course, it's over to us, the fans - no more blaming "Simon" or "the Board".

It's certainly given me plenty of food for thought - I hope it does the same for others.

Another big thank you - this time to Simon Corney and Mark Moisley for engaging with me this afternoon. Communication not confrontation has to be the way forward.

Well done, unfortunately £2.5 million wouldn't last long, maybe a couple of seasons, so what happens then?

The article below suggests it needs around £20 million to run a Division One club. I can't see how fans can raise that.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-money-would-it-cost-to-take-over-an-english-football-club

Edited by BP1960

Well done, unfortunately £2.5 million wouldn't last long, maybe a couple of seasons, so what happens then?

The article below suggests it needs around £20 million to run a Division One club. I can't see how fans can raise that.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-money-would-it-cost-to-take-over-an-english-football-club

The £2.5m wouldn't be held within the business.

It'd be in Corney's bank account.

Projected income at the moment from the North Stand to the club is circa £200-£300k per annum

Well below what you'd want for a £7m investment. Edited by opinions4u