Summary of Questions Received - "Ask the Chairman"

Guest nonaenever

I'd agree with that. He's basically offering to write off past year losses (which should be written off anyway as the debt hasn't built any improved performance) and then sell for £2.5m something he/his partners paid £1 for and have managed to halve the number of paying customers. He'd retain all assets and in doing so would limit any scope for progress.

We'd be in the same situation Stockport were with Kennedy.

He could use £2.5 mill to put back into the club the offices on the top floor could be built and rented out abd we could build a club supporter's. Bar and we would still have enough left over to cover the losses for a couple of years but once that money runs out the begging bowls would be back out.

From a fans point of view It would be great if we could be fan owned and we would all pull together but realistically I don't think it's going to happen. I would also hate to see Oldham fans throw money down a wishing well due to a love of the club. Looking round the stands st BP I doubt we could find 500 people who could throw £5k away in a heart beat.

The reality is its going to require an individual or a group of individuals who are prepared to burn 8 figures on a football club and that's after they have gained control of the club from Corney and Co. I don't think we are the only club who face this sort of problem I think it's the reality of buying a league 1 football club. They are not like other businesses.

Edited by GlossopLatic

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing devils advocate here and a somewhat contradiction of what I have said above it could work if rather than 500 people paying £5k each you created different tiers of investment.

You could have

20-50 Rich fans/local businesses who would pay between £20-50K for shares GOLD

1-200 moderately rich fans who could put upto £2000 in SILVER

Then maybe 2000 ordinary fans who would put in upto £200 in BRONZE.

Split the shareholding 3 ways so individually the Gold members get a bigger say but ultimately everyone still has a say could work but it would be about getting the numbers on board which I couldn't see happening plus we would all fall out anyway :)

Edited by GlossopLatic

Playing devils advocate here and a somewhat contradiction of what I have said above it could work if rather than 500 people paying £5k each you created different tiers of investment.

You could have

20-50 Rich fans/local businesses who would pay between £20-50K for shares GOLD

1-200 moderately rich fans who could put upto £2000 in SILVER

Then maybe 2000 ordinary fans who would put in upto £200 in BRONZE.

Split the shareholding 3 ways so individually the Gold members get a bigger say but ultimately everyone still has a say could work but it would be about getting the numbers on board which I couldn't see happening plus we would all fall out anyway :)

I think I'd chance buying 2,000 Euromillions tickets instead.

Guest nonaenever

So we each give Corney five grand and he remains by far the biggest shareholder in the club? Nah, you're all right...

Haven't got time to catch up with everything but need to clarify this one in particular. Mr Corney would NOT be the biggest shareholder. You would, for example, form a limited company to use as a vehicle for purchasing the shares on behalf of the contributing supporters. This Limited company would be the majority shareholder - 75%.

The Trust have a 3% shareholding from memory so Mr C would keep 22%.

The whole point is the fans would then have control of and run the club (via a fans' Board obviously). They would need to assess income/expenditure and budget accordingly - exactly as the current owners do. The Chairman is offering to give control of the club i.e. purchasing players etc - effectively the whole shooting match - to the fans. He can't be straighter than that really, can he ?

Guest nonaenever

Ok folks, I realise I`m in danger of getting dragged into micro detail here - the Chairman was kind enough to call for a preliminary chat and I simply updated here regarding that. ​He has offered to answer all people's questions - so take him up on that offer please! You can then get the micro detail you require.

I understand now, what he (or anyone else) has to go through in "trial by social media". I`ll give this simple analogy and hope it makes sense:-

Where did you go on holiday? Spain

Yeah but whereabouts? Andalucia

What town/city Malaga

Oh, right by the sea? No, a mile inland

Which hotel? It was an apartment

Called what? Casa Stefano

How much did you pay? £500

Including flights? No, they were extra

How much was the flight? £150

Each? Yes

Self catering? Well, breakfast was included

Full English? No, continental

Erm...... what was my original question again and what was it I actually wanted to know?!!

"You just wanted to know where I`d been on holiday, mate"

One question can simply lead to another...... and on and on and on....

Certainly not being flippant but there will be no more debating and getting into fine detail from me - the Chairman is happy to answer all your questions, so let's get back on track and proceed with that aspect. Is it still just dpwild and myself going to do this? If so, we'll crack on.

nonaenever

Most Football Supporters can only dream of being part of running their Club, albeit for a relatively small investment (not saying £5,000 isn't an insignificant amount of money to most people but in football terms it isn't)

As you have alluded to, the contributing supporters would appoint a number of fellow contributing supporters to the Board to be actively involved with the running of our Club

Obviously very early days but what an opportunity if it can be brought to fruition :OASISscarf:

Ok folks, I realise I`m in danger of getting dragged into micro detail here - the Chairman was kind enough to call for a preliminary chat and I simply updated here regarding that. ​He has offered to answer all people's questions - so take him up on that offer please! You can then get the micro detail you require.

I understand now, what he (or anyone else) has to go through in "trial by social media". I`ll give this simple analogy and hope it makes sense:-

Where did you go on holiday? Spain

Yeah but whereabouts? Andalucia

What town/city Malaga

Oh, right by the sea? No, a mile inland

Which hotel? It was an apartment

Called what? Casa Stefano

How much did you pay? £500

Including flights? No, they were extra

How much was the flight? £150

Each? Yes

Self catering? Well, breakfast was included

Full English? No, continental

Erm...... what was my original question again and what was it I actually wanted to know?!!

"You just wanted to know where I`d been on holiday, mate"

One question can simply lead to another...... and on and on and on....

Certainly not being flippant but there will be no more debating and getting into fine detail from me - the Chairman is happy to answer all your questions, so let's get back on track and proceed with that aspect. Is it still just dpwild and myself going to do this? If so, we'll crack on.

Told you people wouldn't be happy with your answers because they don't like them or they don't fit their agenda.

Despite you going out of your way and trying to get answers for these people they won't be happy unless they can moan or continue their conspiracy theories.

They won't go themselves but will tell you the answers you got weren't the right ones.

nonaenever

Most Football Supporters can only dream of being part of running their Club, albeit for a relatively small investment (not saying £5,000 isn't an insignificant amount of money to most people but in football terms it isn't)

As you have alluded to, the contributing supporters would appoint a number of fellow contributing supporters to the Board to be actively involved with the running of our Club

Obviously very early days but what an opportunity if it can be brought to fruition :OASISscarf:

What happens when that 300k tax bill crops up and the club is fan owned?

Guest nonaenever

nonaenever

cheers tGWB - I also appreciate £5,000 will be beyond many but it is an exciting thought (and sobering at the same time!) that the fans could have a true say in the actual running of their club. Whether it ever happens....... well let's wait and see (for the record my £5k is ready and waiting too)

Told you people wouldn't be happy with your answers because they don't like them or they don't fit their agenda.

Despite you going out of your way and trying to get answers for these people they won't be happy unless they can moan or continue their conspiracy theories.

They won't go themselves but will tell you the answers you got weren't the right ones.

Give over.

It's an intriguing proposition. But it's not clear what assets and liabilities fans get for their £2.5m.

That's not an agenda from me. Neither is it a conspiracy theory. It's a request for clarity.

Fan owned clubs on paper appear a great idea but many have struggled for one reason or another, factions soon appear and they can be a very divisive way of running a football club with not too many success stories.

Amen brother. Can't stand the cliques and the in-fighting, what happened to just wanting to watch football that's equal for all.

What happens when that 300k tax bill crops up and the club is fan owned?

Tax bills don't just "crop up".

How naive do you have to be to claim that a completely foreseeable payment "crops up".

As for clauming people are having a go at nnn, that's just you putting a spin on comments without any facts to back it up.

How naive do you have to be to claim that a completely foreseeable payment "crops up".

As for clauming people are having a go at nnn, that's just you putting a spin on comments without any facts to back it up.

When I say crop up I don't mean out of the blue. But you knew that.

So what will the fans do knowing in advance there is a 300k bill to pay yet the crowds are below what they need to be to turn a profit?

When I say crop up I don't mean out of the blue. But you knew that.

So what will the fans do knowing in advance there is a 300k bill to pay yet the crowds are below what they need to be to turn a profit?

I can't really give a suggestion without speculating, which wouldn't be based on facts, so it's better to leave that one.

As they are foreseeable shouldn't that money have been ring fenced ?