Anthony Gerrard

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

With regard to Clarke yes he looks after himself well but he will be 37 at the end of the season is he going to stand upto the rigours of a 50 game season in league 2?

No but I don't think the intention will be to play him 50 odd times.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

With regard to Clarke yes he looks after himself well but he will be 37 at the end of the season is he going to stand upto the rigours of a 50 game season in league 2?

Clarke will have to be carefully managed without question.  I just think we have enough cover at the back and Gerrard moving on will free up a wage to bring in a striker where we seem to lack strength.

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd imagine so. Don't think he's missed a game for about 5 years.

My take on Gerrard is a mixed one. Over the last few seasons he has helped massively in keeping us in League One, that said due to injuries last year he didn't. As a defender in the bottom two divisions he is worth a punt however for me he lacks professionalism. 

Not only with his outbursts on twitter, 'calling fans out' so to speak but with his lack of self-discipline in getting in shape and keeping in shape (I had the same gripe with Crofty)

His twitter rants may well be justified, giving it back to fans who are giving it out etc and going public about not receiving his pay cheque from the club. Now I accept that it is completely our (the club) fault but there are ways about going about it so for me I wouldn't be fussed if he does go especially with the amount of defenders and good enough ones already in place.

Good luck to him finally and certainly thanks for his efforts, can't help but think a Q+A in time to come may be set up with him, seems like he will have a whole host of stories.

My take on Gerrard is IF he'd of been on a sizeable bonus to keep us up last season (as he was the previous two seasons) he may of appeared to of given a shit more than how he came across, allowing the team as captain to effectively down tools tells you all you need to know, don't get me wrong without him and Shez the previous two seasons we'd have been relegated but this one gone in my opinion he let himself and more importantly the fans down, more than anyone in that dressing room he had the character, personality and leadership skills to get us over the line but unfortunately he just didn't make it happen and for me that's unfortunate. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

My take on Gerrard is IF he'd of been on a sizeable bonus to keep us up last season (as he was the previous two seasons) he may of appeared to of given a shit more than how he came across, allowing the team as captain to effectively down tools tells you all you need to know, don't get me wrong without him and Shez the previous two seasons we'd have been relegated but this one gone in my opinion he let himself and more importantly the fans down, more than anyone in that dressing room he had the character, personality and leadership skills to get us over the line but unfortunately he just didn't make it happen and for me that's unfortunate. 

Is this not a bit unfair-after he was injured against Bury he hardly played and when he did he was obviously unfit. 

Like you say did a good job for us in previous seasons but seems to upset folks with his Tweets which he is perfectly entitled to. Lot of posters on here fastening their flag to Clarke this season which seems odd when many couldn't wait to get rid last season stating his legs had gone and he is a year older.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Is this not a bit unfair-after he was injured against Bury he hardly played and when he did he was obviously unfit. 

Like you say did a good job for us in previous seasons but seems to upset folks with his Tweets which he is perfectly entitled to. Lot of posters on here fastening their flag to Clarke this season which seems odd when many couldn't wait to get rid last season stating his legs had gone and he is a year older.

No I think he could of had a better influence on a couple of players who needed bringing into line, for instance he didn't need to be on the pitch to tell Byrne to tow the line and wind his neck in, similarly he was in a position to bring everyone together but instead for me didn't do enough.

22 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Forget about Twitter. It's around a month since he launched a foul mouthed tirade (always wanted to type that) at the wife of one of ours fans when she asked for a photo of him with her 3 year old son. At a charity memorial event.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No I think he could of had a better influence on a couple of players who needed bringing into line, for instance he didn't need to be on the pitch to tell Byrne to tow the line and wind his neck in, similarly he was in a position to bring everyone together but instead for me didn't do enough.

Agree with Yarddog. A decent player at our level, who has served us well on many occasions. However can't keep his mouth shut, and goes about airing his views in completely the wrong way. Thinks he's better than he is.

Had the personality and stature to be the man to bring everyone together at the end of last season, to get the 1 win that would have kept us up.....but didn't and I've no doubt made things worse with his comments and antics at certain times.

I'm all for pushing on with the young guns this season, led by Clarke who intelligence, personality and leadership wise, stands head and shoulders above Gerrard. Definately not unhappy he's leaving as we start afresh.

9 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Forget about Twitter. It's around a month since he launched a foul mouthed tirade (always wanted to type that) at the wife of one of ours fans when she asked for a photo of him with her 3 year old son. At a charity memorial event.

Have I been living under a rock? What’s this about?!

Love this notion that Gerrard has helped keep us up. Season before last while he was getting himself sent off in the tunnel at HT vs Chesterfield in a absolutely massive game the real player who kept us up was scoring the winner at the other end. We stayed up inspite of the hot headed crock. 

Last season, he was part of the shambles that got us relegated along with him playing vs Bury when he knew he wasn’t fit. Wellens went ballistic about it. That decision ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Complete myth that Gerrard has kept us up. Will be glad to see the back of him. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

22 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Have I been living under a rock? What’s this about?!

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Missed it as well, any links?

It was briefly on Facebook but needed to be taken down due to how some relatives might have reacted. It 100% happened, Liverpool area. You might have seen some mention of him slagging the town off, same incident 

8 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Love this notion that Gerrard has helped keep us up. Season before last while he was getting himself sent off in the tunnel at HT vs Chesterfield in a absolutely massive game the real player who kept us up was scoring the winner at the other end. We stayed up inspite of the hot headed crock. 

Last season, he was part of the shambles that got us relegated along with him playing vs Bury when he knew he wasn’t fit. 

Complete myth that Gerrard has kept us up. Will be glad to see the back of him. 

Yes, because one match determines the whole season.

People don't like him because he is a Scouser and a bit mouthy, that's fine but it is a bit weird to try and claim he hasn't been a good player on the whole for us.

55 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yes, because one match determines the whole season.

People don't like him because he is a Scouser and a bit mouthy, that's fine but it is a bit weird to try and claim he hasn't been a good player on the whole for us.

I'm a Scouser and I'm a bit mouthy and I'll be glad to see the back of him.

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So that's Davies, Holloway, Gerrard and Byrne who have few seem to have a good word for. Some bitter fans on here.

over recent years Oldham fans have always been 'what have you done for me lately' kind of fan base. Turn at the drop of a hat!

29 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So that's Davies, Holloway, Gerrard and Byrne who have few seem to have a good word for. Some bitter fans on here.

All players in a team that managed to get us relegated out of a division we'd been in for 20+ years. I'd be surprised if many (if any) had a good word for them.