• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15 October 2017 at 4:26 PM, OldHallam said:

Do any moaning buggers actually live in Oldham. Its been horrendous weather for grass this year and the pitch is fine considering the rain in recent weeks. Remember pitch v Plymouth in 1970s we won 7-1 and mud was ankle deep and deeper in 6 yard box.. Soft sods its not crown green bowls. Get on with it. 

I remember that game well. Was it 1-1 at h/t? Groves ran riot and it absolutely pelted down. I was about 13-14 and for some reason stood at the RRE, uncovered in those days. Got absolutely soaked but what a match!

On 25 October 2017 at 1:11 PM, OldHallam said:

4th Nov 1972 ..Think it was 1-1 played to Chaddy End second half. Plymouth keeper didnt play badly. As you say torrential rain. Biggest memory was Ronnie Blair on a rare hat trick hitting it past keeper, wheeling away in celebration and ball stopping on line in a quagmire. Mass thrash with ball going nowhere and keeper eventually getting his hands on it. Looked like scoring every time moved forward. Happy memories. 

I remember the Blair shot so well

43 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Special mention to the 8 divot replacers on Tuesday night, the pitch looked immaculate, anyone stay behind to watch them at their work today?

Agree I thought the pitch was looking good, 2 heavy rain games in a row won't help, but actually given the criticism for the pitch in recent times thought some praise is due to the groundstaff.

On 29/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, ShireBlue said:

An entire floodlight tower was out as well yesterday. Doesn’t bode well, but hopefully down to the weather and easily fixed.

Thought it was 2 towers not on and I presumed it was more of a choice not to use them than they didn’t Work. 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, ShireBlue said:

An entire floodlight tower was out as well yesterday. Doesn’t bode well, but hopefully down to the weather and easily fixed.

you know those new bright shiny things on the new north stand....

• 1 month later...

Interesting article on the travails of the pitch, but also some little snippets of insight behind the scenes in amongst some of the more technical stuff.

Our pitch gets a lot of attention, and chemicals! Hopefully the problems of the last few years are behind us.

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/balancing-oldham-s-needs-with-finance.html

Interesting article on the travails of the pitch, but also some little snippets of insight behind the scenes in amongst some of the more technical stuff.

Our ptich gets a lot of attention, and chemicals! Hopefully the problems of the last few years are behind us.

33 minutes ago, singe said:

Our ptich gets a lot of attention, and chemicals! Hopefully the problems of the last few years are behind us.

Very informative article. 

The fact that they have published such a detailed account of their ongoing work with the club today would appear, in my mind at least, to cast doubt on the claim made on here earlier this week that they have downed tools because the club owes them £30k

Just now, bozman said:

Very informative article. 

The fact that they have published such a detailed account of their ongoing work with the club today would appear, in my mind at least, to cast doubt on the claim made on here earlier this week that they have downed tools because the club owes them £30k

To be fair, the article was published in October edition of pitchcare mag, I've since noticed.

13 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

What an interesting article. Just shows how much work goes on behind the scenes to get a game of football on.

That's just what I was thinking. They seem to be doing an amazing job on such limited finances. Hopefully the takeover will solve all these problems.