McLaughlin.......would you

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It still puzzles me that anyone would go to the trouble of typing Dummingham 

The way I see it, Wigan see Byrne as surplus to requirements and Barca Mac as a required player. They would have a Powell/Mac combo, we would have Byrne/Dummiganmingtonmingham. If it was the last resort then yes, i would swap. However, Wigan clearly rate Ryan Mac, as do we. Try, try, try to keep both.

Edited by L1onheartNew

Hope the new owners,when it happens,take advice from Wellens on who to keep and who to get rid off/loan out.We have to pull out all stops to keep the likes of Doyle and Byrne.There are too many players  on the payroll .

@palmer1 - I'm struggling to find anyone who is saying they don't rate McLaughlin. 

All they're saying, myself included, is that a player like Byrne (with the exception of Doyle) is probably the one player we have been looking for for quite a few years now. He's already shown in his short spell here that he's arguably the best footballer we have had since perhaps Wellens. Players like that don't become available all that often. 

McLaughlin, whilst decent in his own right, is not as vital a cog in how our side works at the moment as Byrne is.

Do I want to lose McLaughlin? No.

Would I like to keep Byrne? Absolutely.

The OP is asking if I'd sell McLaughlin if it meant keeping Byrne. The answer really is that simple - yes.  Don't confuse that with us having a negative opinion on what McLaughlin brings to the table though, because it's not true. We just need a Byrne more.

7 hours ago, sjk2008 said:

@palmer1 - I'm struggling to find anyone who is saying they don't rate McLaughlin. 

All they're saying, myself included, is that a player like Byrne (with the exception of Doyle) is probably the one player we have been looking for for quite a few years now. He's already shown in his short spell here that he's arguably the best footballer we have had since perhaps Wellens. Players like that don't become available all that often. 

McLaughlin, whilst decent in his own right, is not as vital a cog in how our side works at the moment as Byrne is.

Do I want to lose McLaughlin? No.

Would I like to keep Byrne? Absolutely.

The OP is asking if I'd sell McLaughlin if it meant keeping Byrne. The answer really is that simple - yes.  Don't confuse that with us having a negative opinion on what McLaughlin brings to the table though, because it's not true. We just need a Byrne more.

Yep I read it...

I havent said he isnt or wasnt rated I'm saying Oldham fans are fickle. 2 month ago McLaughlin was touted for a move away. People went berserk about Corney, screamed blue murder and threatened to never go again. It was the end of the world!

Byrne signs has 5 good games maybe 6 and now McLaughlin can go? Dummigan was fantastic when he settled after first signing touted for a big future. Then touted for the scrap heap ne er to return alot dye to attitude. Now he's back again!

I'm sure you'll find a thread with people telling me Banks is decent from last season telling me i was being more than harsh when I said at the peak of his form he wasn't good enough. Same with Connor Brown ffs? look how both they turned out and revisit those views. 

What happens if Byrne has 5 bad games? Or his 'attitude'issues raised on here by others from his time at Blackburn or Wigan resurface?

If McLaughlin wasn't injured and was in the current set up this wouldn't even be up for debate but its a 'What have you done for me lately senario' short memories some.

You don't get better or win promotion by swapping the best players. 

Edited by palmer1

2 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Yep I read it...

I havent said he isnt or wasnt rated I'm saying Oldham fans are fickle. 2 month ago McLaughlin was touted for a move away. People went berserk about Corney, screamed blue murder and threatened to never go again. It was the end of the world!

Byrne signs has 5 good games maybe 6 and now McLaughlin can go? Dummigan was fantastic when he settled after first signing touted for a big future. Then touted for the scrap heap ne er to return alot dye to attitude. Now he's back again!

I'm sure you'll find a thread with people telling me Banks is decent from last season telling me i was being more than harsh when I said at the peak of his form he wasn't good enough. Same with Connor Brown ffs? look how both they turned out and revisit those views. 

What happens if Byrne has 5 bad games? Or his 'attitude'issues raised on here by others from his time at Blackburn or Wigan resurface?

If McLaughlin wasn't injured and was in the current set up this wouldn't even be up for debate but its a 'What have you done for me lately senario' short memories some.

No. Get it right. Some Oldham fans are fickle some are not.

Don't lump us all together.

There are many on here who post reasoned and articulate observation and comment.  As always it's the vocal minority, shouting the loudest who are heard by some. Just because a few on here are quick to post with (often) knee jerk reactions, it doesn't mean that we are all of the same opinion.

?

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

No. Get it right. Some Oldham fans are fickle some are not.

Don't lump us all together.

There are many on here who post reasoned and articulate observation and comment.  As always it's the vocal minority, shouting the loudest who are heard by some. Just because a few on here are quick to post with (often) knee jerk reactions, it doesn't mean that we are all of the same opinion.

?

It's a generalisation yes but read my posts you will see I use 'some' 'many' 'a few' often.

5 hours ago, palmer1 said:

So basically you’re saying McLaughlin is the better player in your opinion? That’s the idea of the thread really isn’t it? No need to get so angry about it. 

Edited by jorvik_latic

18 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

So basically you’re saying McLoughlin is the better player in your opinion? That’s the idea of the thread really isn’t it? No need to get so angry about it. 

angry over owtbs? yeah right...

I haven't said either was better than the other, I said they are different players who play different positions.

So why get rid of one for the other...keep both.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

angry over owtbs? yeah right...

I haven't said either was better than the other, I said they are different players who play different positions.

So why get rid of one for the other...keep both.

But that’s the thing. Byrne goes back in January. It was also rumoured that Wigan wanted McLaughlin at the start of the season. So if there was a deal to be done some would do a swap, you’d keep McLaughlin. Opinions eh. 

Edited by jorvik_latic

2 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

But that’s the thing. Byrne goes back in January. It was also rumoured that Wigan wanted McLoughlin at the start of the season. So if there was a deal to be done some would do a swap, you’d keep McLoughlin. Opinions eh. 

Wigan doing fine without him. Not a given that he goes back.

6 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Yep I read it...

I like McLaughlin as a player but has he had 5 games in his whole time with us where he’s had as much of a single handed impact as Byrne has?

For that reason, if it was a choice of swapping one for the other (which is the point of the thread) then it’s a definite yes. 

8 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Yep I read it...

For a club like ours, we need to wheel and deal to improve the team (unless we've turned a corner financially). Yes, we would all like to keep both players, but IF (and it is an if) we have to spend money we haven't got to get Byrne, it ain't gonna happen. As I see it, losing McLaughlin would be a step backwards but keeping Byrne would be two steps forward.

On 19/10/2017 at 0:59 PM, mikejh45 said:

let him go to Wigan if a deal could be done to keep Byrne? Considering the recent upturn in Dummigan's form with Wilson as back up.

A few months ago heard a few months back that he himself wanted the move.

With the upturns in form and ment we could keep Bryne I be happy for this straight swop.

But still think he his a talent player with a lot to offer and gives us plenty of options so be good to keep both.

2 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

McLaughlin is a talented player and on his day a brilliant football, trouble is he is not concistent enough like Byrne. 

I wouldn't judge Byrnes consistency on a handful of games we've seen him in, he came with baggage and there is obviously some issues otherwise he wouldn't of been shown the door so abruptly at Wigan, don't get me wrong he's a tremendous footballer and a joy to watch when he's on it but does seem to have a petulant streak to his game when he seems to be more interested in gobbing off at the ref than doing the damage with the football, I like both players and with regards to McLaughlin he's been one of the most consistent players we've had over the last couple of seasons, he rarely has a poor game despite being asked to play in four or five different positions, his attitude is also spot on.

Edited by yarddog73

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

when he seems to be more interested in gobbling off at the ref than doing the damage with the football,

This could put me off football!!!

Just out of interest, at what point does the ref issue a red card......at the commencement of being gobbled or at the completion of being gobbled?