Would we be better off had we stuck with Bunn?

Would we be better off had we kept Bunn?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would we be better off had we kept Bunn?

4 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

How can something that hasn’t happened be judged against something that has? 

It can't. I think we can all agree that there is absolutely no way of knowing the future values of premise. It's just a fun(!) poll created to debate a football opinion, is it not? :)

:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

The way I see it we've spent another season with another load of crock of shite forwards who we've wasted an absolute fortune on when we should of brought in one decent one and backed him up with a couple of Prem/Championship loanees, every team at the right end of this division has one quality goalscorer, our season ended when Surridge went back and he wasn't replaced, it really is weird given we were still right in the mix till January in both the League and FA Cup and in my opinion Abdallah has gotten of very lightly for the shit show of a season which in my opinion he has fucked up for the second season running.  

I agree, with Surridge back fit he was starting to show signs of his early season form. Then the manager goes, Surridge goes along with Lyden who was also starting to show what he could do and they are replaced by Urko Vera and Mo Sylla, both downgrades. Vera has barely been seen and when he has, he has been woeful and nowhere near up to league two football 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I agree, with Surridge back fit he was starting to show signs of his early season form. Then the manager goes, Surridge goes along with Lyden who was also starting to show what he could do and they are replaced by Urko Vera and Mo Sylla, both downgrades. Vera has barely been seen and when he has, he has been woeful and nowhere near up to league two football 

Why pick those two as the ones who replaced Lyden and Surridge? Because they're not the only players who came in are they. They weren't direct replacements so don't pretend they were

10 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why pick those two as the ones who replaced Lyden and Surridge? Because they're not the only players who came in are they. They weren't direct replacements so don't pretend they were

My mistake, I thought Vera was a striker and Sylla a midfielder 

15 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Who you putting forward as replacements then?

Once the Fulham game was played they went and our record since then reads played 11 won 2, drawn 4 and lost 5 under two different managers, neither of which had any real opportunity to strengthen in the window.

We pissed about bringing in Sylla and Vera and I'd say Vera was the direct replacement for Surridge and he's been a bigger waste of time than the rest of the forwards put together this season and I dread to think what wage he's stealing.

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

So? We brought other players in. Not just those 2. Dearnley and Afolayan came in...

Dearnley and Afolayan came in right at the end of the transfer window just as Scholes came in funnily enough, one of which a Utd connection.......the other two came in earlier than that and I think it’s fairly obvious who brought those in........

57 minutes ago, Paul said:

Dearnley and Afolayan came in right at the end of the transfer window just as Scholes came in funnily enough, one of which a Utd connection.......the other two came in earlier than that and I think it’s fairly obvious who brought those in........

You're suggesting Scholes brought them in. I'm not saying AL didn't bring the others in because he obviously did. Also Lacovetti came in bit scholes seemed perplexed with that one so maybe scholes had no say in any and they were done by AL. Also doesn't mean that Sylla and Vera were direct replacements 

19 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

You're suggesting Scholes brought them in. I'm not saying AL didn't bring the others in because he obviously did. Also Lacovetti came in bit scholes seemed perplexed with that one so maybe scholes had no say in any and they were done by AL. Also doesn't mean that Sylla and Vera were direct replacements 

They are clearly not direct replacements because both are shite and nowhere near what we had.

8 hours ago, nzlatic said:

We were 11th after the Exeter game though, so not that barmy. 

Our record was W8 D8 L8 when Bunn got the boot. Now we’re W12 D12 L12. Not sure there’s much evidence for us being better off if we’d kept him. 

We’d only lost 7 (Exeter was the 23rd game) and were 3 or 4 points from 7th.

Plus it’s not really a fair comparison to make as the games recently have been against ‘lesser’ sides whereas you’re judging Frankie based on playing against everyone once.

Only 3 of our remaining 10 games are against bottom-half sides... We still have 4 of the top 7 to play and also Swindon and Exeter who are both very much in the race for the play-offs.

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Neither were they the only replacements which is what was alluded to

No what is being alluded to is that our recruitment in January was poor and is the reason why we are now struggling.

Only 1 player Zac Dearnley out of the 6 signings has looked capable of holding down a regular starting spot. Thats not a good enough hit rate for signings. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

No what is being alluded to is that our recruitment in January was poor and is the reason why we are now struggling.

Only 1 player Zac Dearnley out of the 6 signings has looked capable of holding down a regular starting spot. Thats not a good enough hit rate for signings. 

So judging some after just a couple, if any, appearances. Makes sense

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

So judging some after just a couple, if any, appearances. Makes sense

Bringing in shit players or even injured players or even back from long term injury players to replace decent ones makes no sense, they are gonna get judged it's there job and they are brought in to do exactly that, do we have to give everyone 12 or 18 month to allow them to settle in? 

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

We’d only lost 7 (Exeter was the 23rd game) and were 3 or 4 points from 7th.

Plus it’s not really a fair comparison to make as the games recently have been against ‘lesser’ sides whereas you’re judging Frankie based on playing against everyone once.

Only 3 of our remaining 10 games are against bottom-half sides... We still have 4 of the top 7 to play and also Swindon and Exeter who are both very much in the race for the play-offs.

We were 4 points from 7th but had played a game more.  But everyone had played less games.  If you take the points per game of 7th and us on that day and apply it to 36 games then the gap would be 8 or 9 points.  Which is where we are now.

I'm not arguing that it was right to sack Bunn at all.  A few games in when he and the club were getting stick I remember posting something along the lines of maybe his job is to keep us in the hunt for the play offs ahead of squad strengthening in January.  In the end the exact opposite happened.  We were very much in the hunt but we sacked him, dithered over his replacement and the squad came out of the window arguably weaker.

My take on the original question is that no one that would have taken the job would have done much different with the squad and the circumstances of the club.  There would be managers out there who could have dragged us up higher, probably even into the play offs, but those type of managers probably wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole - eg Bowyer.

Loosing Sturridge and poor recruitment in Jan has derailed us. I mean loosing Sturridge, young, mobile goal scored - replaced with Verra.

Madness

Strangely for me we seem to be playing 451 every week which might get a tune out of Jose, but at the expense of everyone else. Baxter did fine as an out and out CM at Cambridge so lets get 2 up top and bloody have a go at some one. Passing it back and sideways isn't getting us anywhere. 

Dearnly in his last few games looks like a player taking his first steps in the pro game. I'd play him as an out and out forward cause he's quick but not tricky but that's just me.

Afolyan did OK when we got the ball into his feet but he's never a 1 up front on his own type forward again he's young maybe that will come in time.

Our two most successful players this season have been Lang and Sturridge they both have quality sure, but also and this is crucial for me they had both had a season or so of football elsewhere they weren't total newbies. 

Bunn was doing OK with us I think we would have been higher up the league by a position or so than we are with him in charge. The Exeter performance that caused the alleged fight was annoying more than anything and its been down hill bar the odd performance ever since.

Scholes hasn't shown me anything to say he's the man to get us out of the division as of yet but he's fortunate he has time on his side and he's had a good look at the players, (and maybe himself) to hopefully have an idea of what we need next season.

Cambridge were not that good if we had gone for the win with 2 up top and tried to get a platform in there half we could have caused them trouble. We had a few OK moves in the first half where once we got the wide players and midfielders further forward we got some promising situations that barely happend 2nd half and I don't know why we persisted with 451. Even at 1-1 there was the whole second half to try and get 3 points but in the end ended up holding on a bit a times. 

Edited by bluehobbit
-
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Are you sure? 

He he was shit on Saturday, again. 

14 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Are you sure? 

He he was shit on Saturday, again. 

You sound a bit like my brother who says we're shit every time we lose and great when we win however well, or badly we've played.

Having said that I don't go away nowadays so can't argue with your assessment of the individual on this occasion. What I will say that when I've seen him he's shown potential as a right winger or even as part of a front two to partner Lang.

What a crap site this is. Negativity all the way.

Bunn was fired for obvious reasons that the players were not playing for him and since he has gone our play has been far  better with attacking football and will be even better when Scholes is able to bring in fresh faces to make up his own team.

Why criticise Abdallah ?     Obviously this must be the site that demoralises everyone, apart from the Trust and Corney lovers. Abdallah is doing a great job and yet we still get comments like "he is picking the team". What absolute rubbish.  Call yourself fans, more like the "Anti OAFC Club".

Onwards and Upwards with Abdallah and Scholes and positivity arising from this trash shown on here.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OLDHAM4ALWAYS said:

What a crap site this is. Negativity all the way.

Bunn was fired for obvious reasons that the players were not playing for him and since he has gone our play has been far  better with attacking football and will be even better when Scholes is able to bring in fresh faces to make up his own team.

Why criticise Abdallah ?     Obviously this must be the site that demoralises everyone, apart from the Trust and Corney lovers. Abdallah is doing a great job and yet we still get comments like "he is picking the team". What absolute rubbish.  Call yourself fans, more like the "Anti OAFC Club".

Onwards and Upwards with Abdallah and Scholes and positivity arising from this trash shown on here.

"Bunn was fired for obvious reasons that the players were not playing for him?" What makes you think that? 

Our form at the minute is probably worse that at any time under Bunn - understandable after loosing your top goal scorer but I don't think the players not playing for Bunn was an issue.

Negativity and suspect player recruitment maybe?