Neil Trotman

Guest oa exile

I can't agree with that. Trotman is at least as good in the air as Haining but is taller and more athletic. He is a lot faster and stronger, and his distribution is no worse. I'm struggling to think of one area of their game that Haining was ever better at. Trotman can even throw the ball further.

Haining at that age was just as quick and athletic as Trotters, it was very rare that any of the big lump of a striker that play in this division got past Haining, but the hamstring and back injuries slowed him right down, he more than chipped in with a goal or two(6 goals in his first full season I think). Plus you could tell from the moment Haining replaced Clint Hill that he was going to become the Oldham captain at a very young age, not sure you can say the same for Trotters.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haining at that age was just as quick and athletic as Trotters, it was very rare that any of the big lump of a striker that play in this division got past Haining, but the hamstring and back injuries slowed him right down, he more than chipped in with a goal or two(6 goals in his first full season I think). Plus you could tell from the moment Haining replaced Clint Hill that he was going to become the Oldham captain at a very young age, not sure you can say the same for Trotters.

i have to sgree with senor, when hainning cam into to the team he was a total athlete and a leader on the park , he never lived up to his potential, he was getting massive rave reviews when he came into the side and carried on for a few seasons, where is was noe to motovation or injuries all that potential dispersed.

trotman is very good and will get better, but he is very similar to hainning in a lot of ways, lets hope he lives up to the hype.

I think people are going very ott on Trotters, good prospect but Will Haining was a better player at his age and we all thought he would go on to become a Premiership player.

£500k plus a sell on would be very good business if we could invest the majority into the transfer market, but given the speed we seem to be working at now it will be next summer before anything is spent.

Totally agree with coco's comments about trotment.....but dont suggest the club are moving slowly....you dont know whats going on behind the scenes....

After refusing to sell Porter last Jan and then being bite on the arse when he moved to Scotland ......... not sure any genuie offers would be refused again by TTA

I don't think we can spend the rest of time living in dread of players going off to play for Dunfermline Paperboys or some such, it's not as if every young player is going to do a Porter. In any case isn't Trotman under contract?

I don't think we can spend the rest of time living in dread of players going off to play for Dunfermline Paperboys or some such, it's not as if every young player is going to do a Porter. In any case isn't Trotman under contract?

I agree with Lesslover but a £500k offer for a player that cost us nothing is always going to be classed as good business.... Yeah you can keep them and hope we get promotion or there value goes up... But thats a big risk which was proved with the Porter situation....

Edited by oafc0000

I wouldn't see it as a lack of ambition by the club at all so long as most of the money received from the transfer was used to improve the squad.

As for rather seeing Eardley sold, Eardley looks far more comfortable at right-back than Hazell is. As good as Hazell is, he's a centre-back, Eardley is a much better right-back than Hazell and I think we'd lose less in selling Trotman than we would selling Eardley. That said I hope we don't have to sell either!

Guest oa_exile
In any case isn't Trotman under contract?

Am I right in thinking that Trottmans contract is up in the summer it was mentioned on here recently. If so has this little rumour been started by his agent in hope of getting him a better deal if you see where I'm coming from?

Yes his contract is up in the summer and yes it is that "Agent" time of year :(

Am I right in thinking that Trottmans contract is up in the summer it was mentioned on here recently. If so has this little rumour been started by his agent in hope of getting him a better deal if you see where I'm coming from?

Sure he had another year added recently?

The risk with Porter was we got the bid knowing he was out of contract six months later should he reject our offer. Providing Trotman is under contract after summer, we still know he's ours. Not as risky providing we'd be willing to knock a bid back that is.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

The reason why Trotman took a while to get going with the first team was because of his lack of professionalism. I read previously (Chris Taylor interview in the matchday programme, I think) that both him and Chris Hall were the worst at the club for turning up to training late. I would guess that's also the reason why he was shown the door at Burnley.

That said, he appears to have put that behind him now but I must say that £500k for a third division player who's made around 15 appearances does look like an offer that the club couldn't refuse though I personally hope he stays.

Guest oa_exile

From today's rarely wrong Chron - They must read OWTB :wink:

Trotman is new transfer target by MICHAEL YARWOOD

PROMISING defender Neal Trotman is the latest Athletic player to become a big-money target in the transfer window.

A host of Championship clubs are monitoring Trotman and at least one – Plymouth Argyle – have already made an enquiry.

Athletic want to keep their 20-year-old centre-half, who has risen from obscurity this season to become a regular in John Sheridan’s team.

Trotman has shown strength and athleticism, and been a major threat on setpieces, since he was handed his chance in October.

No bids have been made as yet, but Athletic are bracing themselves for offers before the window shuts in just over two weeks.

Ironically, it was Plymouth who tried to raid Boundary Park last January with a move for striker Chris Porter.

Trotman – who will be out of contract in the summer – is not the only Athletic player under scrutiny as other members of a young squad have attracted attention this season.

Sheridan, however, insists he does not want to sell and is instead focusing on a recruitment drive.

The club’s FA Cup run has helped Sheridan’s cause as Athletic have already made around £250,000 from knocking out Doncaster, Crewe and Premier League side Everton.

They have a Boundary Park tie with Huddersfield to come next week and, although every player has his price, the financial burden has been eased.

Having recently lost Neil Kilkenny and Ryan Bertrand at the end of their loan spells, Athletic are aiming to bring in at least one signing before the game at Yeovil Town on Saturday.

They want a creative midfielder and left-sided defender to replace Kilkenny and Bertrand, plus a new striker.

Meanwhile, Athletic’s reserves were held 1-1 at home by Shrewsbury yesterday.

Trainee midfielder Nathan Kilcourse put them ahead before half-time with a fine strike from the edge of the box, but Shrewsbury’s Jake Ellis equalised with 11 minutes remaining.

Goalkeeper Les Pogliacomi came through with flying colours as he stepped up his return from knee surgery.

From today's rarely wrong Chron - They must read OWTB :wink:

Let's cut to the facts of the story:

Trotman is new transfer target by MICHAEL YARWOOD

A host of Championship clubs are monitoring Trotman and at least one – Plymouth Argyle – have already made an enquiry.

Athletic want to keep their 20-year-old centre-half....

No bids have been made as yet....

Sheridan, however, insists he does not want to sell and is instead focusing on a recruitment drive.

There you have it - he's not going anywhere - the story is pure unfounded speculation!

Add to that Simon Corney's statement that there is money for new players provided the young players are given their chance, and the rarely wrong Chron's story is simply a means of creating uncertainty, to give the stay-at-homes another excuse for not starting to go to BP.