Neil Trotman

Guest oa exile

The same thing as you....reading between the lines.....

Shez hasnt said "we will not be selling"....he has said "we dont WANT to sell"..... big difference....

Every player has his price, but it's harsh to say "that sets the club's stall out", when there is nothing negative in the quotes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every player has his price, but it's harsh to say "that sets the club's stall out", when there is nothing negative in the quotes.

Glass houses......

You said he wasn't going anywhere but the qoute you based your comment on dosent back that up.

You read between the lines....just like I did.....

By saying we don't WANT him to means that people are going to have to pay the price if they want him....

Its no more harsh than your qoute.

Glass houses......

You said he wasn't going anywhere but the qoute you based your comment on dosent back that up.

You read between the lines....just like I did.....

By saying we don't WANT him to means that people are going to have to pay the price if they want him....

Its no more harsh than your qoute.

I accept that the quotes do not say "he's going nowhere, not even for £100m" but we cannot expect more positive quotes than are in front of us. Athletic want to keep him and Shez doesn't want to sell. Therefore he's going nowhere as things stand - no need to start reading between the lines, unless the situation changes.

But that doesn't sell newspapers and phrases such as "A host of Championship clubs are monitoring Trotman" and "Athletic are bracing themselves for offers before the window shuts in just over two weeks" and "Trotman – who will be out of contract in the summer – is not the only Athletic player under scrutiny as other members of a young squad have attracted attention this season" are designed to satisfy those who read stories such as tonight's and want to interpret it as "typical Latics - selling their best players once again!".

I accept that the quotes do not say "he's going nowhere, not even for £100m" but we cannot expect more positive quotes than are in front of us. Athletic want to keep him and Shez doesn't want to sell. Therefore he's going nowhere as things stand - no need to start reading between the lines, unless the situation changes.

But that doesn't sell newspapers and phrases such as "A host of Championship clubs are monitoring Trotman" and "Athletic are bracing themselves for offers before the window shuts in just over two weeks" and "Trotman – who will be out of contract in the summer – is not the only Athletic player under scrutiny as other members of a young squad have attracted attention this season" are designed to satisfy those who read stories such as tonight's and want to interpret it as "typical Latics - selling their best players once again!".

lol fact is that if a offer comes in and it sounds like it will...as long as it meets our valuation he will almost certainly go...

Shez gave a polticians answer.... WHich is the answer I would of gven....

Question:-

Since TTA took over, who have we sold to cash in on the players transfer value?

Answer:-

???????? err - can't think of a single name.

Adam Griffin and Gareth Owen both went to Stockport for small fees but they were surplus to requirements at Boundary Park. Off the top of my head (and I know Prozac will correct me if I'm wrong!), I think our last "sale" was the £165k we got for Josh Low while we were in Administration during the summer of 2003.

Now cast your mind back to previous regimes when Latics were truly a selling Club. The list of players sold then would run to several pages.

Question:-

Since TTA took over, who have we sold to cash in on the players transfer value?

Answer:-

???????? err - can't think of a single name.

Adam Griffin and Gareth Owen both went to Stockport for small fees but they were surplus to requirements at Boundary Park. Off the top of my head (and I know Prozac will correct me if I'm wrong!), I think our last "sale" was the £165k we got for Josh Low while we were in Administration during the summer of 2003.

Now cast your mind back to previous regimes when Latics were truly a selling Club. The list of players sold then would run to several pages.

Dont think we got that much for Lowe did we????

I was under the impression it was 65k rather than 165k

Apart from Scott Spencer and Danny Philliskirk, who have we sold to cash in on their transfer value. ^_^

Kids don't count as they've never played for the First Team! :)

Ahhh well, you never said there were 'apart froms' and that! And a player sold is a player sold regardless of how old he is or how many games he's played.

I think things like the Bosman ruling has had a big say in it. Transfer window doesn't help either as by the time one comes round players that would have been sold like Porter for example would have gone for a decent wedge rather than through ropey loopholes.

When I start to think how unfair football has got for the smaller clubs because of money dictating things it just angers me. It has distanced me from watching so called 'Big Game Football' but it just makes it so many times harder for teams with small budgets and fanbases make a major impact with bigger fish. Colchester and Scunny are feeling the pinch and will probably come down whereas Blackpool won't be far behind them.

Its ridiculous that we would even consider selling our young players. Ok lets sell him for 500k now next year hell be worth 6 or 7times that and well get another 300k thats a big loss considering we could keep him as hes a raw young talent who could be key in getting us promotion and being a starlet for years to come. Then we could sell him for more money and hell have give us our reward for signing him training him and playing him AFTER he got dumped by Burnley. Some people dont have any ambition for the club. As a fan I dont give a stuff if we get 500k or 5million Id rather watch him on the pitch as its about entertainment. Whats entertaining about getting beat 3-0 but knowing the chairman has a nice big fat cheque in his pocket. People really do over exaggerate our finances. The 3A arent going to stop plowing money in but any they get back they will keep and we wont get any replacements anywhere near as good otherwise we wouldnt sell in the first place. If Trotman Taylor Eardley Davies or any more young player is sold then it shows there is no ambition whatsoever. Whatever happened to all the money we recieved for Spencer and Philliskirk eh.

Trotman will be signing by the end of the month, new 3 year contract :wink:

exactly. has anyone asked neil what he wants. this is getting like the luton situation, THATS IT MATE WE HAVE SOLD YOU TO MAKE SOME QUICK MONEY MATE, SO UP YOUR ROOTS AND YOURE OFF 200 MILES TO LIVE IN PLYMOUTH. ouch.

Trotman will be signing by the end of the month, new 3 year contract :wink:

Hope your right Richie,Just had a text from a Q.P.R mate and they are offering 700k for trotters(allegedly).

Now these guys are the new Chelski and if we could hold out for a million,AND a big sell on clause.........

Ahhh well, you never said there were 'apart froms' and that! And a player sold is a player sold regardless of how old he is or how many games he's played.

I think things like the Bosman ruling has had a big say in it. Transfer window doesn't help either as by the time one comes round players that would have been sold like Porter for example would have gone for a decent wedge rather than through ropey loopholes.

When I start to think how unfair football has got for the smaller clubs because of money dictating things it just angers me. It has distanced me from watching so called 'Big Game Football' but it just makes it so many times harder for teams with small budgets and fanbases make a major impact with bigger fish. Colchester and Scunny are feeling the pinch and will probably come down whereas Blackpool won't be far behind them.

We will always be a selling club as the vast majority are....ie. everybody has a price, however we took a chance on Porter and paid out £150,000 so if he moves to another English club and we get nowt then that's just plain wrong.

We should get a percentage of any fee as he learned his trade here but was then picked up by Motherwell ( working the system ) for nowt!

He could now be sold for upwards of a million....that rule definitely wants looking at!!

As for Trotman...I think we should hold on to him as he's a major prospect, there's no guarantees but he's still only young and I think in a year's time his value could triple and looking at the queue of clubs interested now there would be plenty of takers.

I say only sell him if it suits us as we always seem to under value our players and it's about time we made some serious money for our talent!!!

What message will it give out to the club, fans and fellow players if we sell Trotman?

A major mistake if we do and goes against our ambitions. To replace him could well cost more than the £500k we could get and could we really guarantee finding someone of similar ability and potential?

Granted we got our fingers burned with Porter so the club needs to act now and get this lad signed up on a longer contract. That way we will receive a fee that reflects the quality of this lad.

£500k now or we can multiple that figure by six (or more) in a season or two?

The fact we DID get our fingers burnt by the Porter situation means any serious offer will mean Trottman will go, who's to say he will sign a contract before the end of the season, young players heads can be turned very quickly by agents offering riches and I can guarantee we wouldn't get close to £500k if it went to a tribunal, then TTA will have lost out twice on big windfalls in Jan because they didn't want to be seen to upset the fans with a lack of ambition, Porter should have been sold last year but TTA messed up, they can't do it again.

Guest oa_exile

So here we are discussing IF Trotman is worth £500K or more and good old Plymouth have just sold TODAY one of their youngsters to Everton for £1M which could rise to £2M............"it's a funny old game" :)

Everton complete Gosling transfer

Everton have completed the signing of Plymouth Argyle youngster Dan Gosling.

The 17-year-old, who can play in both defence and midfield, is a product of the Plymouth youth academy.

Gosling, who made 24 first team appearances for Plymouth after making his debut at the age of 16, had signed a three-year contract last September.

"As a club we simply couldn't stand in the way of allowing Dan the chance of following his dream, nor would we want to do," said chairman Paul Stapleton.

Gosling travels in the opposite direction to Everton striker Lukas Jutkiewicz, who joined Argyle on loan earlier this week.

So here we are discussing IF Trotman is worth £500K or more and good old Plymouth have just sold TODAY one of their youngsters to Everton for £1M which could rise to £2M............"it's a funny old game" :)

Don't forget that Gosling has been capped by England up to under 21 level and played most of his football in a higher division, makes a big difference.

If someone offered £500k you wouldn't see his imposing ass for dust he would be shipped out of BP so quick...

£500k + sell on clause for a player who wasnt near the first team at the start of the season... errr, yes please... will cover our playing staff budget deficit (porter), and secure our other players from needing to be sold... then bring the next young'un through...

£500k is peanuts for him. Could we sign someone as good for the same money? I don't think so. How much of a sell on have Burnley negotiated? We may have to pay them 25% of any fee we receive.

£500k is peanuts for him. Could we sign someone as good for the same money? I don't think so. How much of a sell on have Burnley negotiated? We may have to pay them 25% of any fee we receive.

Burnley released him before he signed pro terms, we owe them nothing.

We have his replacement in the squad, Ruben Hazell.

If you stand back and look at the Trotman situation from all angles then I think it is likely that we will sell if the right offer comes in.

He is out of contract in the summer and may not sign a new deal before then if his agent is advising him against it, creating a Porter situation. :angry:

Also with Hazell a more than adequate immediate replacement and Gregan to come back (plus Thompson :huh:) , we are well covered in the central defensive area.

I personally don't think we should sell as I think his value is only going up at 20 years old and with his undoubted potential.

However I feel TTA will be extremely worried about a repeat of the Porter scenario.

If you stand back and look at the Trotman situation from all angles then I think it is likely that we will sell if the right offer comes in.

He is out of contract in the summer and may not sign a new deal before then if his agent is advising him against it, creating a Porter situation. :angry:

Also with Hazell a more than adequate immediate replacement and Gregan to come back (plus Thompson :huh:) , we are well covered in the central defensive area.

I personally don't think we should sell as I think his value is only going up at 20 years old and with his undoubted potential.

However I feel TTA will be extremely worried about a repeat of the Porter scenario.

Undertsandably so - we all wanna keep our young talent but do they necessarily wanna stay or go up a division or two? If he wants to stay, fair enough but the club have got to get something in writing this time so we dont get burnt Porter-esque!

Undertsandably so - we all wanna keep our young talent but do they necessarily wanna stay or go up a division or two? If he wants to stay, fair enough but the club have got to get something in writing this time so we dont get burnt Porter-esque!

I agree, if he isn't prepared to sign a new deal to extend his current contract then I think the club has no option but to listen to offers during the January transfer window.