The long drive home...

Just looking at Norwich being dumped out of the cup at Gigg Lane tonight and Accy Stanley getting mauled 8-2 down at Peterborough.....it made me think what horrible journeys their fans will have tonight.

What's your worst home journey ever endured because of the result? For me, it'd have to be that night down at QPR in the playoffs.

Edited by boundaryblue80

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QPR was a pretty crappy drive home. I was just dissappointed but my dad was incredibly peed off. Didn't want to say anything to him while we were in the car incase he went off on one.

Worst drive home this season was Leeds at home. Bear in mind it takes me over 2 hours to get home from BP these days. I just felt gutted that we'd been robbed. And cos it was dirty Leeds.

Worse going travel after game was Leeds home leg of the play-offs remember walking down Broadway passed an endless row of Leeds coaches filling up with happy fans :angry: on the way to my Grans in Royton. The journey seemed to last for hours ....... to cap it all it was horrible weather.

My first full season following Latics ........ on top of the world one minutes then feeling deflated the next!! Its been the same since.

As for away .......... suppose it'll be that QPR play-off

QPR in the Play offs away was the worst trip back.

Shepherd's Bush to Newcastle........... via Oldham, to pick my car up, in a minibus with a top speed of 65 mph............ all of us in complete heartbroken, dumbfounded, anticlimactic silence. I got home about 3-4 am and almost split up with my boyfriend at the time, who said.......... 'It's only a game'.

Two already mentioned do it for me. The Leeds play-off loss on the away goal rule depressed me for weeks, but I still look back to Wembley and remember looking at my watch with 30 seconds to go and then staring up at the Wembley rafters trying to grasp the fact that we were about to reach the FA Cup Final.............and then that nice M**k H****s did that to us.

I still haven't got over it.

QPR in the Play offs away was the worst trip back.

Shepherd's Bush to Newcastle........... via Oldham, to pick my car up, in a minibus with a top speed of 65 mph............ all of us in complete heartbroken, dumbfounded, anticlimactic silence. I got home about 3-4 am and almost split up with my boyfriend at the time, who said.......... 'It's only a game'.

It was bad enough for me. I lived 10 mins away at the time, just can't even imagine that!

I was very angry after the Leeds home game this Season and last Saturday wasn't too good either with the last minute equaliser. I drove home faster on Saturday than my previous record (the Leeds game) which usually is an indicator of my pissed off-ness.

Most of the games have already been mentioned but the QPR play off defeat is up there for me alongside the Hughes equaliser Semi at Wembley. For sheer punishment though, the Leeds play-off Semi defeat in 87 is probably the worst as I had a side-bet with my Leeds supporting mate that whoever lost had to buy the others' beer all night. So while my journey home was only to Grotton, it involved a major crawl round the pubs in Oldham before ending up in Dreamers and so it was about 10 hours-worth of forking out for someone else's beer while he just laughed at my depressed state. Purgatory.

Not result-wise, but the journey back from Yeovil last Season took some beating. I couldn't set off back until noon on the Sunday as I was still over the limit due to the amount of alcohol consumed the night/ early morning before. Two hours after setting off, we still hadn't hit the motorway (those country roads knocked me even sicker than I was when we started) and following a diversion to drop off a friend in Oldham, I finally got back to Darlington about 9pm. And the hangover lasted for days!

There have been many long drives home after depressing defeats, but the drive on New Year's Day 2008 takes some beating - not that it was long but it was a nightmare!

The car's engine kept cutting out on the A38 and then the M1 on the way to Leeds. We had to keep pulling over onto the hard shoulder and then start up again and continue. On the M1 I couldn't risk leaving the slow lane and every couple of miles it happened again. In some stretches there was no hard shoulder due to roadworks, and we were holding our breath that it wouldn't happen again. After about 15 stops and with over 40 miles of dangerous driving still to go, we reluctantly decided to abort the journey and return home with over £50 worth of tickets unused. It was even more difficult for oafc_ok to take because it was his birthday, which made me feel guilty. For those auto-technically-minded the problem was a faulty crank sensor - it was telling the engine about non-existent faults.

The feeling of sickness deep in my stomach was reminiscent of the losing Play-off against Leeds on away goals. On that occasion I drove back with two Leeds fans in the car, who had shared the Chaddy End experience (from the opposite perspective) and not only felt guilty at stealing the tie, but also have since believed that Leeds have been cursed at BP ever since that result (this season proved the exception).

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Another that springs to mind is a 1-0 defeat at Chesterfield, I think it was JJs last game and he was shocking.

Ah...that reminds me of Wrexham away when we lost 1-0. Ok, maybe shouldn't be in this post as it wasn't that long a drive but it really felt it.....we absolutely battered them for 90mins, Betsy missed an open goal and then lost in IJ time. At that moment I felt we were going down to the basement. Horrible, horrible feeling.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Not a drive but a train journey. And a long walk!!

Brighton away in the early '80's. We lost 4-0 and it took an absolute eternity to get back to Burton on Trent on the train via the south coast and London.

Even after arriving at Burton station I still faced a momumental walk home in the wee small hours.

Freezing cold, wet, tired and miserable. Hated every minute of it!!!

Worst drive home was probably after watching us lose away against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park during our relegation season from the Premier League.

The drive down wasn't much better; roadworks, hold-ups and getting lost (doesn't everyone get lost looking for Selhurst Park?!). The only high point was when a Wimbledon fan gave me a free ticket as I approached the ground fifteen minutes after kick off.

To make matters worse, it was a midweek match and I had to get up for work the following morning, after rolling in totally fed up at some unearthly hour!! Arrrggghhh!!!

Oh Wembley ..................... I still cant sing the H word even though its so many years ago that one kick of a football started the 'rot' . I hope Blackburn are relegated .... and he is sacked (alright I dont but I really feel sick thinking about it). typical Latics we always seem to be 30 seconds away from something special. I also hate Mark Robbins who has declared his winning goal against us his 'personal favourite' Mark Mark where were you born!!!!.

QPR for me too. The last few minutes of the game were awful, for some reason everybody seemed to know that there wasn’t going to be a last minute comeback. I walked at lightening speed back to the Underground, basically running away from it all. A few QPR fans were mouthing off, which I decided I had to just ignore as there wasn’t going to be any happy medium between that and a jail sentence. I was almost running all the way back when changing tube lines and getting on my train. I’m still slightly haunted by a girl who was on the first tube train, she was wearing Latics colours, just sat there in a catatonic state, I was actually concerned that she wasn’t in a fit state to be left, but she wasn’t responding to anything I said. It didn’t make it any better that I was experiencing that weird, “sober when pissed,” feeling, having broken the all-comers East Croydon – White City Stella drinking record on my way from work. Not good. I have often wondered if it was due to memories of that day that a lot of us were pretty much resigned to defeat at Blackpool, as if we had written it off so as not to get our hopes up when we lost.

swindon away about 13 years ago fa cup second round(ish) twice postponed then played on a tuesday night we lost one nil to a late overhead kick and were on the coaches took about 6 hours. did laugh though cos my mate scribbled out a name on the back of his programme and put the replacement in, then straight away said 'why have i just done that ive ruined my programme'. might not sound funny but im laughing now just imagining his face !

swindon away about 13 years ago fa cup second round(ish) twice postponed then played on a tuesday night we lost one nil to a late overhead kick and were on the coaches took about 6 hours. did laugh though cos my mate scribbled out a name on the back of his programme and put the replacement in, then straight away said 'why have i just done that ive ruined my programme'. might not sound funny but im laughing now just imagining his face !

I went to that game it was a monday though i think, paul gerrard saved a lat min pen and looked like we had scraped a reply, only for them to score a minute later anyway.it was snowing and that was the longest coach drive i have ever been on, wagged school to go and got a rollicking the next morning in front of everyone coz id been grassed :angry: