Will Leeds Have The Last Laugh?

So, here's a little thought. Leeds, docked 15 points before the season started, have continuously moaned about it. They broke the rules, and quite slyly so, they should be punished. Now, they're due for their court hearing with a "20-30% chance" of getting those 15 points back. This would obviously have some serious affects on more than one club.

For example, if we were to add 15 points onto their current tally, they'd knock Donny down to 4th, and they'd be hot on the trail of Carlisle. They could possibly jump Carisle, and claim 2nd spot. Adding to this, they'd knock the team in 6th place which could be one from Tranmere, Brighton, Walsall, Orient, Northampton, and, of course, us. We may even see Southend and Forest fall from it, so add them to the mix - Leeds would affect their final position either way.

Now just say if we're in 6th place, and Leeds won their appeal - we'd be knocked out of the Play-offs! Just what would happen? How would you feel? Similarly, the likes of Forest may be fuming, too, because they've ended up 6th or something; same applies to Donny and Carlisle, who have been knocked out of 2nd place, in favour of Leeds. Imagine Forest and Leeds going head-to-head in court.

Would you accept Leeds claiming their 15 points back? Would you support the side possibly affected, if, of course, it isn't Latics? Thing is, though, we don't have the money to take them to court if we were in the middle of it.

It's sure to be an interesting scenario should they win in court.

If they get this 15 points overturned, I'll be writing to TTA along with every other chairman in the League asking them to sue the football league.

This has been mentioned in the pub a few times before Latics games this season, if the FA deem a claim to have a red card recinded is 'frivolous', then they can add games onto the ban.

I think due to the fact dirty Leeds have had the bare-faced cheek to claim these points back, they should double the 15 points. Show them not to play silly beggars.

The fact that their biggest debt is to the taxman (in effect you and I, the people of Britain), is reason for us to demand it all back, right now. :grin:

Keep the Faith

Edited by seasidelatic

its outrageous they have the audacity to contemplate asking for the points back, never mind going to court over it as well. if they win in court the judge will basically be revoking any power the football league has, and you will find it becomes a test case. the likes of Luton, Bournemouth, Rotherham, Wrexham and all the others in the future will be questioning the way they are dealt with.

It will be a bad day for football if Leeds United win.

when is the court day anyway out of interest?

You know what I don't think there is cat in hells chance of leeds getting back the 15 points. However, I do feel there is a possibilty of them getting back 5 points which in affect would get them in play-offs as things stand. Eitherway, there is no way this should have been allowed to drag onto the end of the season. At least if they had got 5 points back, say 3 months ago, it would have given the teams disadvantaged a chance make up the deficit.

its outrageous they have the audacity to contemplate asking for the points back, never mind going to court over it as well. if they win in court the judge will basically be revoking any power the football league has, and you will find it becomes a test case. the likes of Luton, Bournemouth, Rotherham, Wrexham and all the others in the future will be questioning the way they are dealt with.

It will be a bad day for football if Leeds United win.

when is the court day anyway out of interest?

I really can't see how Leeds CAN win.

it would undermine the authority of the games governing body (at this level). Leeds claim is that it is unfair and hasn't been done to anyone else, buit that is because the League have decided that they will be first. Luton are also likely to be docked 15 points for Accountacy Irregularities (not sure what the difference between Accountancy Irregularities and Fraud is....). If this happens to Luton, then it is a proven and equal punishment. If you go into Admin you are docked 10 points during that season. If you are subsequently found to have been dodgy with the books, you get a further 15 points the next season.

I think due to the fact dirty Leeds have had the bare-faced cheek to claim these points back, they should double the 15.

And another deduction of points to deter their fans from trying to get the game abandoned by running on the pitch as they did last season. By the way, when is the hearing into that pitch invasion? :mmm:

I don't believe for one minute the points will be added onto this years total. It's likely they will get 5 points back to bring the punishment in line with everyone else.

15 points were docked as Leeds went about it all the wrong way and the league wanted to punish them more. Therefore I can see 5 points being returned next season as there is nothing in the rules to say they have to have it back tis year :grin:

Funny that, a family member over the hill told me yesterday that the FL had offered Ken 5 points to drop the court case but he turned them down hoping for the full 15 points back.

If that's the case, then the FL must know that they have a weak argument.

Golden rule of negotiation. Only negotiate if you have to.

I fear this will have an unhappy ending for the rest of the League One teams.

Don't worry all...this ain't going to happen. Leeds signed a legal document saying they accepted the 15pt deduction.....I can't believe it's even going to Court. The judge will throw this out! And this 25-30% chance is, as always, Lawyers talking a good'un!

Obviously, that's best case scenario and I fully expect it. Worst case is 15pts returned. Middle ground is 5pts returned to them. That's the only other outcome I could see.....but I don't believe some rumour moungering that the FL offered that as a deal with the scum....the FL have fought this vehemently as much as the White:censored:e have and I believe it to be a rumour to the proportion of Ricketts headbutting Taylor!

Edited by boundaryblue80

i hope that leeds get a hearing at the football leaque tomorrow ,the leaque commitee might say to leeds" you have got your 15 points back " then as leeds scum jump about happy, the commitee says april fool , i hate leeds utd they are a load of:censored: :censored: i and hate their sheep :censored:fans

Don't worry all...this ain't going to happen. Leeds signed a legal document saying they accepted the 15pt deduction.....I can't believe it's even going to Court. The judge will throw this out! And this 25-30% chance is, as always, Lawyers talking a good'un!

Obviously, that's best case scenario and I fully expect it. Worst case is 15pts returned. Middle ground is 5pts returned to them. That's the only other outcome I could see.....but I don't believe some rumour moungering that the FL offered that as a deal with the scum....the FL have fought this vehemently as much as the White:censored:e have and I believe it to be a rumour to the proportion of Ricketts headbutting Taylor!

but if leeds don't get into the play-offs on merit, 5 points will be enough to screw over the team who finishes 6th! Plus it's not like, with something like 4 games remaining after the decision, this team will have much of a chance to get back on terms. Don'tget me wrong I think a 10 point deduction would have been fair but it now looks like someone could get a big, and underserved, kick in the teeth.

Edited by laticsmad

Irrespective of how fair the 15 point deduction was, if Leeds were to get any points back at this stage of the season it would be completely unfair on the rest of us.

Firstly, despite being punished for overspending other people's money, they've managed to put together one of the most expensive squads in the division and secondly, how many additional points do you reckon they picked up during their siege mentality start to the season where they felt everyone was against them?

If they get anything back there'll be uproar from any team with a vested interest.

I really can't see how Leeds CAN win.

it would undermine the authority of the games governing body (at this level). Leeds claim is that it is unfair and hasn't been done to anyone else, buit that is because the League have decided that they will be first. Luton are also likely to be docked 15 points for Accountacy Irregularities (not sure what the difference between Accountancy Irregularities and Fraud is....). If this happens to Luton, then it is a proven and equal punishment. If you go into Admin you are docked 10 points during that season. If you are subsequently found to have been dodgy with the books, you get a further 15 points the next season.

that's pretty much how i see it....

it's ok to upset one club! (leeds) but to make one club happy at the expense of EVERY other club then that is a shambles...

Why wasn't a transfer embargo placed upon them until they sorted out their finances?

Should stick one on them now, not a sniff that they are anywhere close to meeting their salary cap. I know it's not enforced but come on, they're taking the proverbial a bit now.

They have debts up to here *points*, and they're allowed to carry on as they were, sign this and that and then decide, when they realise they weren't good enough to make up the 15 points (:lol:) throw their toys out of the pram and demand the 15 points back.

I don't even see how this has come to court, it is an actual joke.

Keep the Faith

An Orient supporting mate was talking to me about this about three weeks ago when they were more in the thick of it than they are now...apparently Martin Ling said that if Leeds went to court and got their points back then Orient would take them back into court and try and get them taken off. They shouldn't be given any points back, but if they did then there will be an almighty furore. It's not just that it's Leeds, although it does make it sweeter that it is...if this wa Brighton or Walsall or whoever then I'd be livid.

An Orient supporting mate was talking to me about this about three weeks ago when they were more in the thick of it than they are now...apparently Martin Ling said that if Leeds went to court and got their points back then Orient would take them back into court and try and get them taken off. They shouldn't be given any points back, but if they did then there will be an almighty furore. It's not just that it's Leeds, although it does make it sweeter that it is...if this wa Brighton or Walsall or whoever then I'd be livid.

they did have a transfer embargo placed upon them,and also the football leage held back there vote until the very last moment before the league season started.

and has been said,ken bates signed an agreement to the effect of accepting the 15 point deduction without any comeback,and was told and signed not to take court action against the ruling.

if they do manage to overturn it there will be uproar.if they got the 5 points back,but the league gave them back for next season,that means they have an unfair advantage for next season.

i really cant see it happening,but if it did all the league chairmen should stand firm like they did when the points were deducted in the first place,and threaten the league with not fullfilling the remaining games of the season,thus voiding the league.

Irrespective of how fair the 15 point deduction was, if Leeds were to get any points back at this stage of the season it would be completely unfair on the rest of us.

Firstly, despite being punished for overspending other people's money, they've managed to put together one of the most expensive squads in the division and secondly, how many additional points do you reckon they picked up during their siege mentality start to the season where they felt everyone was against them?

If they get anything back there'll be uproar from any team with a vested interest.

But the court doesn't care about the rest of the clubs. It is just judging the point of law.

An Orient supporting mate was talking to me about this about three weeks ago when they were more in the thick of it than they are now...apparently Martin Ling said that if Leeds went to court and got their points back then Orient would take them back into court and try and get them taken off. They shouldn't be given any points back, but if they did then there will be an almighty furore. It's not just that it's Leeds, although it does make it sweeter that it is...if this was Brighton or Walsall or whoever then I'd be livid.

...and this is where the league has messed up. I would think they are going to get sued no matter what. Leeds broke the rules and should have been refused their golden share (thrown out of the league). Thus whoever finishes second bottom in division four will (if they have any wits about them) sue the league, as they would not have been relegated by the league rules.

There would be a certain irony if Forest were to suffer, as they were bizarrely one of the few clubs to support the tossers in the League vote, which I couldn't get my head round as Forest have been plumbing the depths these last few years as they did the honourable thing and refused administration, managing to struggle by through selling all their players and reducing costs. Why they supported those conning scum in their scheme to swindle the creditors for a second time is far beyond me.