Best Latics debut ?

Definitely Charlton, Burnley was the next home game we won 3-0 with Ritchie and McCarthy (2) scoring.

Can't argue with you. If my memory serves me right, I had a belly full of Front House Boddingtons. But I do remember both Richardson & Kenny coming in as an emergency midfield partnership and performing brilliantly. Shame Kenny couldn't repeat it.

Simon Stainrod away at Blackburn in 1979, scored from a seemingly impossible angle in a 2-0 win

Correct - he was sensational that night - the goal you refer to followed a run that began on the halfway line too - down the touchline, cut in and hammered past the keeper from about a foot shy of the goal line.

adrian littlejhon at home to plymouth stands out great turn and hit in front off chaddy end.top goal

His debut and the goal (turn and shot into the top corner at the Chaddy) you refer to was against Watford, cracking goal to level it at 1-1, they scored again and a certain Mark Allott scored a scrambled late equaliser - his first at BP.

The Plymourth game two weeks later, saw the return of 'cough' Starbuck, Littlejohn grabbed a brace in a 2-0 win.

David Reeves v Vale. A proper centre crash...

E4e

STRKR

Superb in his second game at Bloomfield Road too, what a shot for his second. Pretty pants from then on though, once he had that contract in his pocket. Cheeky get held on for his pay-off too despite agreeing to return to Saltergate, :censored:!

Didnt Fitz Hall have a great debut vs stoke? keeping Burton quiet and scoring a goal could be wrong though

yep that's correct! mind you he had played his first game the week before at huddersfield, but this was his HOME debut!

header too!

we won 2-1 .... with dean holden potting for the potters!!!

what was even more amusing was my then general manager was a stoke fan and never missed a game.

he and a couple of his mates picked me up at the airport on their way to the game... on the way back to the airport, the atmosphere could be cut with a knife.... great day!!!!!

Edited by thetramdriver

Killkenny played a blinder against bradford

Taylor against forest very exiting.

Allesandra was impressive on first start

Eyres was good

Carrs too they made thier dabut together top pair well done richie .

Croft was top

But the award for most impresive dabut goes to...............................

Andy Goram Fantastic display against Cardiff 16 March 2002 .

Conceeded 5 goals in first 45 , but made a maraculouse recovery to only conceed 2 in the next 45. Legend.

Paul Bernard against 'boro in the penultimate game of 90/91 was pretty stand out.

That was my first thought on reading the thread. I also thought Gunnar had a good debut, and thought "This guy's gonna be a real star" when I first saw Tore Pedersen.

Mike Fillery stands out for some reason, but I can't remember why :wink:

John Keeley, mainly for the fact that Rick Holden came out wearing the keepers shirt and everyone in the ground was shouting "Keeley, Keeley!"

Then Rick took the keepers shirt off, as he had, had his hair cut nobody realised!

John Keeley, mainly for the fact that Rick Holden came out wearing the keepers shirt and everyone in the ground was shouting "Keeley, Keeley!"

Then Rick took the keepers shirt off, as he had, had his hair cut nobody realised!

Ha! Ha! I'd forgotten about that. Classic stuff from Ricky :lol:

Iv'e seen some good Latics debuts in my time, Bobby Johnstone being the highlight.

but the one I remember the most was in the 1960s when young Irishman called Tony Foster made a magnificent league debut, unfortunately he never repeated that performance and I believe returned home after a few matches.

Who made the best Latics debut in your opinion ?

Tony Fosters was in a 4-0 win if I remember right. Cannot remember who against. I think Ian Towers scored 2 or 3 that day.

You surely must remember Alan Mcneills against Aldershot ??????

David Shaws on his return from WBA was something too...Hat trick in first 15 minutes against Southampton.