Best Latics debut ?

Iv'e seen some good Latics debuts in my time, Bobby Johnstone being the highlight.

but the one I remember the most was in the 1960s when young Irishman called Tony Foster made a magnificent league debut, unfortunately he never repeated that performance and I believe returned home after a few matches.

Who made the best Latics debut in your opinion ?

Edited by BP1960

The Chris Taylor debut stands out from recent seasons, we have often had young players come through only to be dissapointed when they have reached the first team.

Craig Davies didnt do to badly this season either, getting the pen and scoring the winner.

Didnt Fitz Hall have a great debut vs stoke? keeping Burton quiet and scoring a goal could be wrong though

Mark Brennan, against Middlesbrough. Think it was the 91/92 season in the prem...Latics won 4-1 i think. One of the most one sided games I think I've ever seen..and we had Keely in goal (went 1-0 down after about 2mins)!

lee richardson against charlton, opening day just after premiership , 2 belters from long range especially the second on the volley.

billy kenny didnt look that bad that day either :(

lee richardson against charlton, opening day just after premiership , 2 belters from long range especially the second on the volley.

billy kenny didnt look that bad that day either :(

I was going to mention Richardson - a 5-2 win, wasn't it?

It was, a great debut, we were going straight back up :blush:

Kilkennys first start at Bradford was pretty special, mind he didn't do bad coming on as a sub the week before.

Alan Groves also had a blinder but then again when didn't he?

steve taylor scored 2 on debut if memory serves

For this season....Jason Jarrett vs Carlisle

Frank Bunn at Bournemouth was pretty special, we hadn't scored in 5 games, sets up a goal in the first few minutes then won a late penalty. We had finally gained the 'presence' up front we had been lacking all that season and indeed since losing Ron Futcher to Bradford the previous March. Thank Gid George Reilly turned us down.*

Paul Bernard against 'boro in the penultimate game of 90/91 was pretty stand out.

*went missing even befoe mobile phone calls were common place. Last seen in the phone box next to the Clayton Arms.

Rob Scott made a really impressive debut. Where did it all go wrong?

I agree, I thought he was superb vs Yeovil and indeed in those first few games ( a mad 15 minute spell at Swindon apart). Perhaps playing with a donkeys like Day, Forbes and Branston unsettled his game?

lee richardson but i dont remember who it was against but i do remember him scoring a 25 yard screamer

I think it was Burnley where he was partnered in midfield with a tragic but stupid lad called Billy Kenny in the season's opener just after after our relagation from the Premiership. Billy had an absolute stormer where he just ran the midfield and let Richardson play.

I think it was Burnley where he was partnered in midfield with a tragic but stupid lad called Billy Kenny in the season's opener just after after our relagation from the Premiership. Billy had an absolute stormer where he just ran the midfield and let Richardson play.

Definitely Charlton, Burnley was the next home game we won 3-0 with Ritchie and McCarthy (2) scoring.

Was Matthew Rush's debut in the 5-1 demolition against Swindon? He had a storming game and was new to us too.

And yeah, Kilkenny's first game for us was as a sub at home to Barnsley where he whipped a corner in the last minute for us to win the game at the death after being 1-2 down with a couple of minutes left.

Was Matthew Rush's debut in the 5-1 demolition against Swindon? He had a storming game and was new to us too.

And yeah, Kilkenny's first game for us was as a sub at home to Barnsley where he whipped a corner in the last minute for us to win the game at the death after being 1-2 down with a couple of minutes left.

Didn't see a lot of Rush as I worked half of that season. He played well in the meaningless last game vs Norwich on the last day of the season, but all I remember was the half-arsed effort he put in at York in a 0-0 the following season. A crock if ever I saw one, he could've played on by all accounts but didn't have the stomach to fight for his career and took the pay off, despite Stitch begging him to give it another go.

Didn't see a lot of Rush as I worked half of that season. He played well in the meaningless last game vs Norwich on the last day of the season, but all I remember was the half-arsed effort he put in at York in a 0-0 the following season. A crock if ever I saw one, he could've played on by all accounts but didn't have the stomach to fight for his career and took the pay off, despite Stitch begging him to give it another go.

Yeah, I think the Swindon match was on Easter Monday so he hadn't long been at the club. He was sensational that day but never really looked as good as that since.

And yeah, I was at that York game as well. I can hardly recall anything from it as the game was dire except for a stonewall penalty we should have had.

I think Alessandra's debut when he came off the bench against Carlisle was absolutely stunning.

Thank you FMS!

I remember watching that game when I rarely got to BP a few years ago, and being remarkably impressed with a certain debutant. I've always thought that was the best debut I've ever seen, but couldn't remember for the life of me who it was.

I think Alessandra's debut when he came off the bench against Carlisle was absolutely stunning.

I'm sure that wasn;t his debut. Have a memory of him coming on for the last few minutes at the Galpharm this year.

That Barnsley game should be saved for the thread "biggest mugging ever".....that game was ridiculous and how we won it, I'll never work out! Funny though....walking up Broadway seeing loads of confused Yorkshiremen who couldn't comprehend they'd just lost :grin:

PS Rush ended up at Droylesden a year or two back...not sure where he is now though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Iv'e seen some good Latics debuts in my time, Bobby Johnstone being the highlight.

but the one I remember the most was in the 1960s when young Irishman called Tony Foster made a magnificent league debut, unfortunately he never repeated that performance and I believe returned home after a few matches.

Who made the best Latics debut in your opinion ?

Simon Stainrod away at Blackburn in 1979, scored from a seemingly impossible angle in a 2-0 win