Grand National

This year may see me being finally banned from all sweep stakes at work. I seemed to have won all the sweep stakes since we started running them at work (only past two years) including all Nationals, World cup, rugby UNION world cup (even though I hate the bloody game thought I'll take the money) and now I have the current favourate, Second favourate and sixth favourate in this years.

With ££ up for top four finish I believe this is a banker :grin:

only one winner for me

favourite drink with my favourite colour

Vodka Bleu

wehre my money will be :grin:

I am just about to go down to the bookies to place a few quid one but what i know about horses i could write on the back of a postage stamp!

Anyone help me with a bet that i can place? Dont wanna bet on the favourite fancy something that will give me a decent return so maybe an each way bet on an outsider??

I am just about to go down to the bookies to place a few quid one but what i know about horses i could write on the back of a postage stamp!

Anyone help me with a bet that i can place? Dont wanna bet on the favourite fancy something that will give me a decent return so maybe an each way bet on an outsider??

Hometownclub and JimiT are both good judges and I'd follow their advice if I were you. I'm sure they will be along later (no pressure guys!).

For me, the National is a total lottery and not something I'd get involved with if I were betting.

This year may see me being finally banned from all sweep stakes at work. I seemed to have won all the sweep stakes since we started running them at work (only past two years) including all Nationals, World cup, rugby UNION world cup (even though I hate the bloody game thought I'll take the money) and now I have the current favourate, Second favourate and sixth favourate in this years.

With ££ up for top four finish I believe this is a banker :grin:

Haha yeh ive just had 2 of the four favourites....although im usually unlucky! Had a sweepstake for first goal scorer against Hartlepool and got Josh Bell.

Hometownclub and JimiT are both good judges and I'd follow their advice if I were you. I'm sure they will be along later (no pressure guys!).

For me, the National is a total lottery and not something I'd get involved with if I were betting.

Cheers, no pressure.

The National is the race that got me into horse racing. Clearly, anything can happen with 40 horses and 30 fences, but there are certain rules and trends that can narrow the field considerably.

The rules I follow are; must carry under 11 stone; be aged 8, 9 or 10; must have been placed over 3 miles 5 previously; must have been placed in last three starts and must not be French bred.

I've allowed up to 11 stone 5 as the bottom weight is only 10 stone 7, which is a lot heavier than usual.

This has narrowed it down to the following;

Bulters Cabin (14/1); Slim Pickings (10/1); Chelsea Harbour (14/1); Bewleys Berry (14/1); Point Barrow (20/1); Cornish Sett (100/1); Naunton Brook (66/1) and Comply or Die (10/1).

I'm currently narrowing these down further and will post which I fancy later/tomorrow.

Cheers, no pressure.

The National is the race that got me into horse racing. Clearly, anything can happen with 40 horses and 30 fences, but there are certain rules and trends that can narrow the field considerably.

The rules I follow are; must carry under 11 stone; be aged 8, 9 or 10; must have been placed over 3 miles 5 previously; must have been placed in last three starts and must not be French bred.

I've allowed up to 11 stone 5 as the bottom weight is only 10 stone 7, which is a lot heavier than usual.

This has narrowed it down to the following;

Bulters Cabin (14/1); Slim Pickings (10/1); Chelsea Harbour (14/1); Bewleys Berry (14/1); Point Barrow (20/1); Cornish Sett (100/1); Naunton Brook (66/1) and Comply or Die (10/1).

I'm currently narrowing these down further and will post which I fancy later/tomorrow.

Apologies, put Bulters Cabin up and it's French, so is ruled out.

Slim Pickings hasn't won for two years, that's out.

Chelsea Harbour is best on heavier ground, that's out.

Bewleys Berry was pulled up last time out, that's out.

Point Barrow disappointed a couple of races ago. Whether it's last run was an improvement, I'm not so sure. That's out. Cornish Sett hasn't raced for 100 days, that's out.

Naunton Brook has also been disappointing in its previous outings, that's out.

Which leaves Comply or Die.

Not exactly original, but it fits the profile perfectly and goes on the ground. Especially impressive was its weight carrying win last time out. It is also carrying 10 stone 9, which is pretty much an ideal National weight and from the Pipe yard who are in good form (Our Vic putting up a superb performance yesterday for example). I think it'll go off around 9/1 or even 17/2, so the 11/1 currently is well worth taking.

You beat me to it Jimi, I fancy Comply or Die very strongly and have done since he won the Eider Chase at Newcastle which showed us how well he stays.

To win that under 11-12 was an excellent performance and I got on at 14/1 shortly afterwards, he ticks all the boxes for me and I wouldn't look anywhere else for the winner.

The principles you lay down are very sound, the one overriding factor for me is the issue of horses staying the distance from my reckoning about half the field at least are doubtful stayers.

Previous winners have shown this to be bourne out and on this basis a couple of outsiders I fancy at larger prices are Point Barrow and D'Argent and while neither ticks all the boxes they are both thorough stayers who will be staying on when many others have cried enough, both are priced around 25/1 so should go well for Each Way backers.

Good Luck whatever you back.

Got my main cash on Slims Pickings and Comply or Die but also got a really strong fancy for Snowy Morning.

I usually have 5 or 6 in the National, so have got 3 others with a couple of quid eachway. Gone for Point Barrow, Dun Doire and King Johns Castle (although that one feels dirty, with the JP McManus/Red Scum connections.)

Roll on the National...love the race...first time in years I'll be infront of the TV for it as I can't make Swindon today. Got fond memories of Oxford away at the Manor Ground in a monsoon (Eyres last minute FK to win it) when Red Marauder won it and only 4 finished. Had my radio with me and ended up commentating on it during HT for others around as it lashed it down. Also Luton away, jumping up and down in my Kenilworth Road seat as Amberleigh House romped home for me.

Had the winner each year from 2004-2006 and 2nd last year. Be nice to keep up my form on it.

PS Be gutted if No Full gets a place....something just knawing away at me saying it might get a place at 100-1.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Mrs TTD's brother passed away a couple of weeks ago in christie's...

and yeah you guessed it his name was SIMON! so guess where this families ££ is going today.........

ordinarily don't bother but it seemed the right thing to do.... fingers crossed eh?

I'm going for Bewleys Berry (14-1).

For outsiders, I fancy three - D'Argent (28-1), Philson Run (33-1) and, real outsider, Madison du Berlais at 80-1.

Think I'm going to abandon D'Argent (watch it romp home now) for an e/w bet on Naunton Brook, now at 100-1.

Point Barrow disappointed a couple of races ago. Whether it's last run was an improvement, I'm not so sure. That's out. Cornish Sett hasn't raced for 100 days, that's out.

You've convinced me :)

That's where my money's going. Thanks (I think!)

You've convinced me :)

That's where my money's going. Thanks (I think!)

Haha same here.....normally i just bet on the name i like the best....never actually won anything. This time i will go for some expert info.....£15 each way on comply or die! No pressure :)

Haha same here.....normally i just bet on the name i like the best....never actually won anything. This time i will go for some expert info.....£15 each way on comply or die! No pressure :)

I've put the grand sum of a £1 each way on it! Also £2 each way on Philson Run which I'd backed before I read this thread.

Ok might as well throw my picks in..no surprises really gone for Comply or Die and Slim Pickings for the win and taken philson run, king johns castle and naunton brook as each ways.

Was gonna go for Hedgehunter but come in a bit short for me and thought about Chelsea Harbour which, if the rain gets any heavier I might regret not taking

Not exactly original, but it fits the profile perfectly and goes on the ground. Especially impressive was its weight carrying win last time out. It is also carrying 10 stone 9, which is pretty much an ideal National weight and from the Pipe yard who are in good form (Our Vic putting up a superb performance yesterday for example). I think it'll go off around 9/1 or even 17/2, so the 11/1 currently is well worth taking.

Pressure what pressure? :grin:

Got my main cash on Slims Pickings and Comply or Die but also got a really strong fancy for Snowy Morning.

I usually have 5 or 6 in the National, so have got 3 others with a couple of quid eachway. Gone for Point Barrow, Dun Doire and King Johns Castle (although that one feels dirty, with the JP McManus/Red Scum connections.)

Oh, I'm a happy boy (football excepted)....1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. My outside fancies Point Barrow and Dun Doire fell...overall though, I got it pretty much spot on :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80