Latics move back on the agenda

Well I saw Paddy McGuiness buying a big screen telly at Richer Sounds in Prestwich on Tuesday with his ladyfriend who was rather easy on the eyes. He then got in a big black range rover and started talking on the phone before setting off whilst still on the phone!!!!

And this has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Really! Well I saw a slim line Johnny Vegas walking into Granada yesterday you could just tell by the look on his face he knew nothing at all about the new stadium development or for that mattered cared and I didn't ask him which must mean we are moving to Ashton!

Edited by GlossopLatic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my mate met King Kev yesterday the assembled media were told not to ask about Joey Barton, transfers, Mike Ashley, Oldham’s move to Ashton or motorway laybys. Clearly there is something going on here, and I think we should be told.

The fact is it's going to be a long time until anything is built at BP, be it a new stand, flats or houses. Building sites around the town are grounding to a halt, theres been no building work done on the new RedRow housing estate at the bottom of fields new road for nearly a month, they're struggling to sell the homes that have already been built and there has been very little happening with the new houses in Wernerth between Edwards Street and Suthers St in recent weeks.

The fact is it's going to be a long time until anything is built at BP, be it a new stand, flats or houses. Building sites around the town are grounding to a halt, theres been no building work done on the new RedRow housing estate at the bottom of fields new road for nearly a month, they're struggling to sell the homes that have already been built and there has been very little happening with the new houses in Wernerth between Edwards Street and Suthers St in recent weeks.

Noticed that myself, coupled with the story in the Chron last night that HMR has proved more successful in demolishing streets rather than replacing the so called ghettos and it really is worrying. Having said that given that the flats at the bottom of F N Rd are like shoe boxes who the hell would wanna buy them anyway?

Edited by oafcprozac

Noticed that myself, coupled with the story in the Chron last night that HMR has proved more successful in demolishing streets rather than replacing the so called ghettos and it really is worrying. Having said that given that the flats at the bottom of F N Rd are like show bxes who the hell would wanna buy them anyway?

And the two bedroom ones cost £125k for the pleasure of living on a busy junction.

This housing crisis is going to last a while longer yet and I can't see any development happening in the near future, however, I can't believe that they would abandon the Boundary Park site after all the trials and tribulations they've gone through, not to mention the huge expense so far in gaining planning permission.

Having said that if Tameside council were to offer some help with funding, it could be a good move, as long as it's not too far out of the borough.

It might also be a ploy, to shock Oldham Council into some sort of financial contribution!!!

As for a name change that would involve anything other than Oldham in the title then I would be dead against it as I'm sure the vast majority of fans would be too!!!

I'm taking this with a large pinch of salt. Why demolish the Lookers, if a move is a possibility? I could cope with Oldham and Tameside Athletic but any other change would be bordering on sacrilege!

You demolish a stand as it costs money in upkeep to keep it there, when to be honest, we dont really need it - might as well have a three sided ground that costs less and see what happens..... not going to be an issue unless we get promoted...

Think there is no smoke without fire... and i'm sure the welcoming advances of Tameside council would be music to TTA ears... however still think there is scope in the BP site... especially seeing where it bloomin is, and the money that can be made from keyWorker housing... think there are still a few twists and turns yet in the design, but the fact we have knocked down the lookers has no bearing on whether something will be built or not...

I don't get why moving away from BP would suddenly give us money to build a new stadium? If we don't have money to start rebuilding now (even though we are knocking down) why would we suddenly have money to do it somewhere else? :huh:

All depends how much you can sell BP for and how much purchase/development of new site would be. With the property market as it is, no idea! Do the hospital want to buy BP and extend?

I don't get why moving away from BP would suddenly give us money to build a new stadium? If we don't have money to start rebuilding now (even though we are knocking down) why would we suddenly have money to do it somewhere else? :huh:

if we were to move from this site we would be selling ALL the land, rather than just the surrounding patch, and I'm sure tesco/sainsburys/asda/morrisons to name a few would be extremely interested!!!!!

And agree with some on here re name change, as long as it keeps the "oldham", i wouldnt mind too much, ie "oldham & tameside athletic

Edited by Lookers_Carl

i heard they are back on the broadway thing - but obviously the farmer/landowner is the stumbling block!!

not as much as last time....the farmer has sold some land just off the bottom of foxdenton lane and its been built on in the way of industrial units....there was rumour a further 6 units would be built on the farm land,however nothing has happened this year and with the land prices dropping vastly,the development hasnt happened....

now then radcliffe school on broadway has been empty since closing earlier this year..and has alot of ground at the rear....which backs onto broadway fields.....which in itself backs ont the farmers land....

one project being considered is to pipe the small brook from the fields to the sewerage plant,and put down heavy duty piling foundations......oldham council owns the land that the school is on,and the fields were the sewers run through....we all know that the council and the owners are now on the best of terms...so i wouldnt be suprised to see something happen on that site.

then the other rumour being banded about is that if the housing developers dont want the land at bp.....then there is something in the pipeline for extending oldham hospital...

like i say only rumours...but the broadway site is being talked up again quite strongly.

I'm bored.......Purely hypothetical........ but, IF as suggested we were to move towards or indeed into Tameside and IF a name change or adjustment were requested what could we cope with........?

For me it would still have to have Oldham as the first part of any new name.......ideas anybody?

I'm bored.......Purely hypothetical........ but, IF as suggested we were to move towards or indeed into Tameside and IF a name change or adjustment were requested what could we cope with........?

For me it would still have to have Oldham as the first part of any new name.......ideas anybody?

You mean in the same way that ManUre might become Manchester Trafford?

Citeh's ground is only a matter of inches outside Tameside. No need to change the Club's name - Oldham Athletic forever, unless we go for the retro Pine Villa. :wink:

Guest M_OAFC

Have I missed something here?

When the idea of having a unified club represent the towns of Oldham, Rochdale and Bury was mooted everyone was up in arms so why do we seem to be more tolerant of the idea when it's Tameside?

I can see the logic behind it in principle. As towns have grown over the years, in many areas they have merged in to one another to the extent that where it not for the sign in the road it would be difficult to know where one starts and the other ends, as is largely the case with Oldham/Rochdale and Oldham/Ashton. In such areas, if one of the towns concerned has a football club in the pyramid system and the other does not then I can see the sense in trying to boost your fan base by incorprating the neighbouring town into your name and attempting to unite its population behind the club.

If that were the case I would be right behind it. However, that isn't the position we are faced with where Oldham and Tameside are concerned.

First of all Tameside isn't a town, it's just the name of the council, there is no town called Tameside. Secondly, the major towns in Tameside, namely Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde and Droylsden all already have clubs in the pyramid system. You can't just go marching in there and saying right we know you've already got a club representing your town but the bigger club from the town down the road wants this town uder its umbrella now. Especially where Stalybridge and Hyde are concerned, you've even got to go through another town (Ashton) just to get to Oldham from those two.

What if we were to say, hey we've got quite a lot of fans in Rochdale you know, if we called oursleves Oldham and Rochdale Athletic and moved our ground over there we'd probably attract even more fans. If someone suggested that people would say you can't do that, Rochdale have already got a team. But somehow because Ashton, Stalybridge etc are non-league people seem to think it's more acceptable. Well if we get relegated and Stalybridge get promoted in each of the next 2 seasons they'll be a division above us. If they then decide to build a ground just off Broadway and call themselves Stalybridge and Oldham Celtic will that be okay?

Comparisons with Brighton and Hove Albion are completely flawed as well. Firstly they've been represented by one club for donkeys years, secondly both Brighton and Hove are actual towns and thirdly neither had another club already in the pyramid system.

As for the idea of leaving our name as it is and just simply moving to Tameside, well it's less obnoxious than proporting to extend our sphere of representation to a town that already has a club, but it's not much better. Once you set up a permanent home outside the town of Oldham in what sense do you continue to represent the town? In name only as far as I'm concerned.

Lets think for a moment about some of the reasons why so many of us hate MK Dons before we start nodding to this proposal.

Each to their own, people will disagree with me and I realise that a lot of you are not Oldhamers and therefore perhaps the intrinsic link and sense of identity between the town and the club isn't as close to your hearts and that's fair enough. But for me, the day any of the above happens is the day I start supporting Oldham Town.

Thankfully I suspect it's nothing more than a completely unfounded rumour.

When the idea of having a unified club represent the towns of Oldham, Rochdale and Bury was mooted everyone was up in arms so why do we seem to be more tolerant of the idea when it's Tameside?

I can see the logic behind it in principle. As towns have grown over the years, in many areas they have merged in to one another to the extent that where it not for the sign in the road it would be difficult to know where one starts and the other ends, as is largely the case with Oldham/Rochdale and Oldham/Ashton. In such areas, if one of the towns concerned has a football club in the pyramid system and the other does not then I can see the sense in trying to boost your fan base by incorprating the neighbouring town into your name and attempting to unite its population behind the club.

If that were the case I would be right behind it. However, that isn't the position we are faced with where Oldham and Tameside are concerned.

First of all Tameside isn't a town, it's just the name of the council, there is no town called Tameside. Secondly, the major towns in Tameside, namely Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde and Droylsden all already have clubs in the pyramid system. You can't just go marching in there and saying right we know you've already got a club representing your town but the bigger club from the town down the road wants this town uder its umbrella now. Especially where Stalybridge and Hyde are concerned, you've even got to go through another town (Ashton) just to get to Oldham from those two.

What if we were to say, hey we've got quite a lot of fans in Rochdale you know, if we called oursleves Oldham and Rochdale Athletic and moved our ground over there we'd probably attract even more fans. If someone suggested that people would say you can't do that, Rochdale have already got a team. But somehow because Ashton, Stalybridge etc are non-league people seem to think it's more acceptable. Well if we get relegated and Stalybridge get promoted in each of the next 2 seasons they'll be a division above us. If they then decide to build a ground just off Broadway and call themselves Stalybridge and Oldham Celtic will that be okay?

Comparisons with Brighton and Hove Albion are completely flawed as well. Firstly they've been represented by one club for donkeys years, secondly both Brighton and Hove are actual towns and thirdly neither had another club already in the pyramid system.

As for the idea of leaving our name as it is and just simply moving to Tameside, well it's less obnoxious than proporting to extend our sphere of representation to a town that already has a club, but it's not much better. Once you set up a permanent home outside the town of Oldham in what sense do you continue to represent the town? In name only as far as I'm concerned.

Lets think for a moment about some of the reasons why so many of us hate MK Dons before we start nodding to this proposal.

Each to their own, people will disagree with me and I realise that a lot of you are not Oldhamers and therefore perhaps the intrinsic link and sense of identity between the town and the club isn't as close to your hearts and that's fair enough. But for me, the day any of the above happens is the day I start supporting Oldham Town.

Hear, hear. Indeed why not Oldham and Rochdate UNITED or Oldham and Tameside UNITED

If the TTA had suggested it before someone onhere, there would have ben marches to New York before you could say Credit crunch...

Just got back from holiday so I've missed all this, but can I just say that this post is the most sensible thing I've ever read on this board.

This is more than a rumour, though they're just talking at the moment. Looks like they are looking into developing the Curzon Ashton ground, increasing the capacity to around 15,000. Boundary Park to Richmond Park !

Pile off steaming poo this one!

Curzon is a cracking club with great structure's and fianance streams in place and there is no way this would even come close to happening!

I am around the club regular and with the reserve team and there is no scope in this! The club has moved forward leaps and bounds over the years with a great set of facilities and the chairman there is mint and focused on keeping that club moving forward!

Tell you what though Oldham should have took a punt on a lad there! A striker called Norton....he's mint. scores goals and is a proper grafter!

Pile off steaming poo this one!

Curzon is a cracking club with great structure's and fianance streams in place and there is no way this would even come close to happening!

I am around the club regular and with the reserve team and there is no scope in this! The club has moved forward leaps and bounds over the years with a great set of facilities and the chairman there is mint and focused on keeping that club moving forward!

Tell you what though Oldham should have took a punt on a lad there! A striker called Norton....he's mint. scores goals and is a proper grafter!

I have seen Norton, it's always surprised me he never got to play higher, his team mates at Woodley Sports at the time (Simon Hackney and Matty McNeil) went on to play league football, and Norton was just as impressive.

He has always scored lots of goals, and besides working hard is quick too.

This is the problem with non league players, some prospects get a chance, others don't.

I have seen Norton, it's always surprised me he never got to play higher, his team mates at Woodley Sports at the time (Simon Hackney and Matty McNeil) went on to play league football, and Norton was just as impressive.

He has always scored lots of goals, and besides working hard is quick too.

This is the problem with non league players, some prospects get a chance, others don't.

Yeh he's quality.....our left back called Tait got signed by Forest last season so that was a good move on his part!

To be honest (you'll have to take my word for it) sometimes the money offered by the kind of clubs who look at non-league don't offer enough money to make it attractive. If you have a family and a good Job and a league club comes in for you although the pro football side is attractive you are likely to have to take a pay cut as well as possibly re-locate at your cost when talking league 1 or 2 teams so its actually to risky fianancially!

A young lad will take the chance but if your in the above situation it isn't an easy choice!

With Latics short of left backs did they miss out on this lad ?

Maybe they did only time will tell.......he is only 18 I think so we'll see what he does at forest!

They gave him a good deal I think. He became a regular in there reserves at the end of last term!

With Latics short of left backs did they miss out on this lad ?

Maybe they did only time will tell.......he is only 18 I think so we'll see what he does at forest!

They gave him a good deal I think. He became a regular in there reserves at the end of last term!

i know norton and he has had offers from higher up but lives in bridge and didnt fancy a move away, or so i heard

He would well at Stalybridge, Hyde or Droylsden, perhaps financially he is ok where he is.