Whats the point?

Eh give us your view.

bah dont u feel a :censored: when you cock up somert u cant edit :(

There is no 'point' - I just do - the club is now part of my genetic make-up - it flows through my veins - I lived in Oldham for the formative years of my life - rather support a club from my home town than jump on any band wagon.

Blue blood. :wink:

The feeling of belonging, being different from the glory hunters of Salford Quays Seahawks, the anticipation of the game, the feeling when we win has to greater than those who support the so called big 4. It's my life, its the pain & pleasure in one, it's just me. Couldn't ever change.

I do it to feed my alcoholism in different venues. There's nothing duller than a boring drunk, I aim to make myself more interesting.

Oh and something about club, football, belonging, blahblah.

HAHAHAHA.

As for me, i was a rugby fan, but then realised that rugby is shat, so i decided to ask me dad to take me to Latics, obviously, him being a roughyed didnt go down as i would have hoped, but since his affair with rugby died with the "Rupert Murdoch Superleague!" my dad hates the sport now.

A friend of mine who was a big latic, has now moved to Plymouth and become a red sox fan, i really dont understand the logic of some people!

Where else can you go and shout your head off (including some naughty words) - cant do it in the street - get bloomin arrested.

AND at Owdum, you aint just a little speck and a ticket number - you are the weirdo that jumps around at the front yelling abuse at the ref and jumping up and down next to the player that has just scored - and it is an excuse to go for a cheeky one Satdi aft as well!

There is no point on any logical or rational basis but once you are hooked you can't help yourself. Saw my first game as an 8 year old in 1958. The rare successful seasons make it worthwhile. In my lifetime I've seen bobby johnstone, the Frizzell years, the Royle years and div 1/prem so I guess i am one of the luckier tics. Spare a thought for the poor b*ggers who support dale, stockport, crewe, gillingham and about 60 others.

What saddens me is that the greedy league is only meaningful in the context of the wider picture and all clubs should theoretically have a chance of prem status. Even the united and chelsea "fans" may one day end up bored with a 2 horse race every season.

Anyway onwards and upwards + 3 points tomorrow ---- but with Latics you really never know - maybe thats what its all about

To support United would be too easy, always said to support united all it takes is a subscription to sky, the latest strip and a crate of Wife-beater. Supporting your local team is an honour, in my case one that has been passed from generation to generation and I have made it my responsibility to make sure both my son and daughter are 'Latics'. I feel proud of the fact I am an individual and not a 'sheep' following everyone else just cas Man Yoo are 'great'. Any sucess we do gain is met usually with disbelief, then as it sinks in an almighty piss up ensues. Come on, how boring would it be to win EVERY week, variety is the spice of life and being a Latic is never boring In 23 years supporting the boys a brief snapshot of my time is listed below:-

play off heartache

Semi-final, Wembley

Champions!

Founder Members of The Prem

Great Escape

Relegation

Sharvey

Relegation

Colin

Potless under Stitch

Moorex

Mugged by Furlong

Admin, Liquidation

The Black Hole

Brighton 9/8/03

Swindon 24/4/04

Talbot

Ronniesaurus

We've got our Oldham Back

20 League Goals for the 1st time in 30 years

Play Offs But Not good enough

The March

My point is you never know what will happen next, supporting this club is a real lucky dip, thats why I love it so much! That's why I support a so-called 'crappy little' small town club and that's why we all have delusions of grandeur, we've been there before and can at LEAST get half-way back!

Edited by oafcprozac

I love it. I love it because you get recognised and in some ways respected by other fellow 'true' fans. Even the corporate juggernaut of Stretford have 'true fans' and the few I know know that I support Oldham and don't look at me mouthing "W-H-O?" unlike so many other plastic, pathetic pondlife who regard themselves as fans when even I've been to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge (albeit if a crumbling wreck of a ground) and Anfield more times than them.

To us it's more than just going to watch a game of football. It somehow means that much more to get the first goal against the divisions weakest team, like we did last Saturday. We don't stand up, politely clap and then quickly return our arse to the seat, we savour it... punch the air and embrace each other.

I love the fact that even through years of painful, glum 0-1 defeats at home and comprehensive defeats on the road, days like Everton (a), Man City (h) and Derby (a) come round, and round, and round. I love listening to the radio when they're banging on about The Greatest League On Earth (© The Premier:censored:e) then even little old us get a mention about something which gives me a warm feeling when a fan of the big faceless clubs wouldn't really bat an eyelid.

I love that the 20+ years I've been going to watch Latics, that I know so many fellow fans, whether it be by mates and names, to a knowing nod to the guy you sat opposite to coming back from an away game in 1992. I love how we've "seen it all", to the insane highs of competing with the best in England, to the lowest lows when we all feared for the future of OAFC.

And most of all I love how right now we're starting to settle down, with the same manager for 3 years, same owners for 5 years and promising (but not overly ambitious) plans for our future as well as a team that seems to be bearing the fruit of the last couple of years hard work.

Some great posts here......this thread is bringing a tear to my eye!

Maybe any advertising leaflets we distribute should have some of these posts printed on them??

because we lose as often as we win, that means when we win something it means a lot to us, not like the teams at the the top of the prem league. who always win, YAWN.

also you should support your home town team, not jump on the band wagon and be a united or chelsea fan.

anyone can do that and be a winner, its cheating in a way.

oh dear, where are those tissues.

All you have to do to remind yourself why is ask Mr Beag Teats .... look at his signature (which I have course have robbed) add it to the stuart pike audio ... and viola ...... watch the Home win V southampton .. close your eyes and see Wembley ....... here the cheers as the hearts break in 1995 ... or worse the year after. Read the camaradre on this board and what was the previous official site board .... think about the people you have got to know ... I can list loads of people I would have never really known ..... Plus I was bullied into it by martjs .. then he ran away to America leaving me addicted !!! Plus you will all know on Saturday when hughes sets up taylor and another three points are in the bag

I love it. I love it because you get recognised and in some ways respected by other fellow 'true' fans. Even the corporate juggernaut of Stretford have 'true fans' and the few I know know that I support Oldham and don't look at me mouthing "W-H-O?" unlike so many other plastic, pathetic pondlife who regard themselves as fans when even I've been to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge (albeit if a crumbling wreck of a ground) and Anfield more times than them.

To us it's more than just going to watch a game of football. It somehow means that much more to get the first goal against the divisions weakest team, like we did last Saturday. We don't stand up, politely clap and then quickly return our arse to the seat, we savour it... punch the air and embrace each other.

I love the fact that even through years of painful, glum 0-1 defeats at home and comprehensive defeats on the road, days like Everton (a), Man City (h) and Derby (a) come round, and round, and round. I love listening to the radio when they're banging on about The Greatest League On Earth (© The Premier:censored:e) then even little old us get a mention about something which gives me a warm feeling when a fan of the big faceless clubs wouldn't really bat an eyelid.

I love that the 20+ years I've been going to watch Latics, that I know so many fellow fans, whether it be by mates and names, to a knowing nod to the guy you sat opposite to coming back from an away game in 1992. I love how we've "seen it all", to the insane highs of competing with the best in England, to the lowest lows when we all feared for the future of OAFC.

And most of all I love how right now we're starting to settle down, with the same manager for 3 years, same owners for 5 years and promising (but not overly ambitious) plans for our future as well as a team that seems to be bearing the fruit of the last couple of years hard work.

Because they're our club. Everyone who is a true football supporter (not just Latics fans) know what it means to experience the highs and lows. Yes the lows are bad, but the highs are just that bit sweeter.

An armchair fan may follow a team that wins the league, but I guarantee we glean more pride, enjoyment and camaraderie from losing to Forest at Wembley in 1990, holding ManU to a 3-3 draw in the FA Cup, Putting the likes of Derby, West Ham, City and Everton out of the cups in recent years.

My 2 sons are Oldham fans, the eldest (11) is on his 5th season ticket, and he's been to about 20 away grounds. He laughs of the scorn of the plastic Chelsea and Man U fans at school, because he knows he is an Oldham fan, and that he has been there, seen it, experienced it, and will continue to do so.

My youngest is 7 and he's been to a handful of games, but his interest is rising all the time. He is almost as anti Man U as I am, he hates them with a passion! If that doesn't prove a case for nurture Vs nature, I don't know what does. If he sees anyone wearing a Man U shirt, he openly tells them that their team is rubbish, and that they should support Oldham.

I support Latics because they are my Hometownclub.

I didn't make the choice to support Latics the choice was made for me, geographically.

It is my birthrite and I'm damned if I'm not going to fulfill it.

I've been going since 1972 aged 8 and in 36 years I've experienced some really great highs but far far more lows.

I also expect the next 36 years to be to be filled with very much the same (but maybe not as many highs) but it won't make a scrap of difference, I'll still be there the week after, because its what I do, its what we all do.

It would be so easy for any one of us to just like sheep jump on the Man Ure bandwagon, the fact that we don't is what makes us Latics.

The point of supporting Latics is that if I and the other 4,000 hardcore didn't, there would be no Club, and that would be the end of the world. Difficult to put into words effectively, but epitomised by the many tears shed when we almost went out of business, and great pride experienced as part of that March from the Civic Centre to BP.

Because it's the team from my home town. I was born across the road, for God's sake, a goal kick away from the nearest turnstile. Me Dad hoped and prayed I wouldn't enter the world on a Satdi after.

Went to my first game in 1950 as a 5 year old and, even 58 years on, all those memories come back. And what memories; like when it pissed down with rain so hard the brass band played in the upper tier of the main stand at half time, Burkett of West Ham beating Johnny Bollands from about 80 yards in the mud and buggering up our cup tie, the crazy tangerine shirts, red shorts and lime green and white socks we wore for a floodlit match against Accrington Stanley - and having a moist eye when Stanley died. Remembering regular matches against the likes of Workington and Gateshead, freezing bloody cold in the teeth of a force 10 gale blowing into the Chaddy and loving every minute.

And I never, ever want to feel the way I did when the club nearly died thanks to M***e. I've never been so bloody miserable. But oh, the good times as well - Cup semi finals, 4 of the buggers counting replays, Wembley, Premiership, beating some of the top teams in the land and staying up there for 3 seasons despite never being given a chance outside Oldham. And season 2008-09 off to a cracking start and real hope of making promotion.

The sadness now is living too far away (and family commitments) to get to all the games. But you'll never find me doing anything on a Satdi afternoon but being plugged into the Latics World commentary with headphones on me bonce kicking every ball, making every save, jumping up and down and going all unnecessary (and scaring the present Mrs Bristolatic to death) when we score. I even wear the shirt to complete the illusion of actually being there. Big Gordon, Mike Leyland and Roy Butterworth are like friends of the family, their voices are so familiar.

And when I do make it to BP, a lump comes up in my throat as I hit Broadway and see the Chaddy again. Why? Cos I'm home. Even after over 40 years since I left Oldham, I'm home again. Like it's been said so many times, you can take the kid out of Oldham, but you'll never take Oldham out of the kid. And you'll never get this kid supporting anyone else but his beloved Latics.

:OWTB1: